Non O visa run to Savannakhet June 2022

2 hours ago, starky said:

Ive been getting them in savvanakhet for over a decade only ever had to show my marriage cert.

So have I but just before Covid they asked for it. There was a few expired non-imm 'O' visas in the passport from Savannakhet, when I pointed that out he relented.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nightfox said:

Agents in Issan all know not to use khoen Kean immigration for marriage extensions. They use Mahsarakam, Kalasin, Shakon Nakon and others because they are easier to work with. The agent I used to do previous marriage extension for me is based in khoen Kean and doesn't use their office and she does a lot of marriage extensions per month. 

Yeah but I live in udon so my marriage application would need to go through Udon immigration wouldn't it as my housebook, ID card all show an Udon address why would I live in Udon and use immigration in Kalasin? agents have no control over where you lodge your form and Udons get sent to Khon kaen. 

And fxxk all that noise anyway I work offshore so a multiple entry visa suits my purposes and I don't have to deal with immigration at all. Horses for courses.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nightfox said:

Agents in Issan all know not to use khoen Kean immigration for marriage extensions. They use Mahsarakam, Kalasin, Shakon Nakon and others because they are easier to work with. The agent I used to do previous marriage extension for me is based in khoen Kean and doesn't use their office and she does a lot of marriage extensions per month. 

Don't all applications end up in Khon Kaen which is the regional headquarters they go to for approval? Years ago the bloke in Nakhon Phanom Immigration said they went to Khorat and then Bangkok for approval. Think it has changed since then.

6 minutes ago, tubber said:

So have I but just before Covid they asked for it. There was a few expired non-imm 'O' visas in the passport from Savannakhet, when I pointed that out he relented.

So you didn't need it then? Lol.

3 years ago I went to Savanakhet to apply for 1 year M. E. Visa based on marriage. I handed over all the asked for documents as I had done for 10 previous years.  The officer refused to grant visa cos I didn't have my wife's kor ror 2. I'd never been asked for this before and I don't think this is on the list of required docs.

I've since found a much easier and cheaper way to 1yr visa.

There's plenty to do in Savanakhet. Down by the river many restaurants and bars. Very cheap.

2000baht to enter Laos!

9 hours ago, ndreamer said:

Did entry visa change ? it was all was always $30ish usd or 1500baht. Paying in USD being cheaper. 2k baht to laos is nearly  double

I recall reading that their new visa fee is US$40 which is still cheaper than 2000 baht.

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

3 years ago I went to Savanakhet to apply for 1 year M. E. Visa based on marriage. I handed over all the asked for documents as I had done for 10 previous years.  The officer refused to grant visa cos I didn't have my wife's kor ror 2. I'd never been asked for this before and I don't think this is on the list of required docs.

There's plenty to do in Savanakhet. Down by the river many restaurants and bars. Very cheap.

2000baht to enter Laos!

The kor ror 2 is an extract from the Thai marriage register to show that you are not divorced. It is pretty much mandatory for dealing with most Immigration offices within Thailand for extensions but I don't recall this being required at either Vientiane or Savanakhet before Covid but happy to be corrected.

kr2.jpg.33913d680e51ae61814bd0ee6598dab8.jpg

However, I did witness Savanakhet asking Non-O marriage visa applicants for a kor ror 5 which is the certificate of name change (when Thai partner takes their foreign partners surname). It looks like a marriage certificate but has a green border. The lady at the shop across the street from the Savankhet Consulate who does the unofficial pre-screening of documents couldn't explain why some applicants needed it and some didn't.

kr5.jpg.f8938848bf418be16f0a2cc12db2e726.jpg

I found out later that if one was married in Thailand prior to certain date, this information was never separately recorded so wasn't available when they digitized their national marriage/divorce database (this is what enables you to get your kor ror 2 from any amphur). We were married in October 2007 and according to the amphur in Udon Thani, this is why I couldn't get one before I headed to Savankhet, ie. it cannot be created digitally as the data was never captured. Any Consulate or Embassy will know that this is the case when looking at the date on the marriage certificate.

NB: Before Covid, it was never published on any Consular website that the kor ror 5 was a requirement, hence some getting 'inexplicably' denied at Savanakhet. If the OP can confirm his marriage registration date, it may clarify if this document is still required for the newer marriages or not (and they're still not telling anyone).

Edited by NanLaew

29 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Just curious why you paid or said you paid 2000 baht for a visa to Lao when they are typically 30 to 45 USD depending on nationality.

Maybe because that's what the OP paid? The OP hasn't stated his nationality.

The Lao eVisa site had most nationalities pegged at US$50 but some are US$35.

However, the visa-on-arrival option is still available and the new official rate for that is US$40.

4 hours ago, Red Forever said:

2000baht to enter Laos!

Why don't you share what that alternative way is... on here???

4 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Why don't you share what that alternative way is... on here???

I think most are already familiar with using immigration agents in Thailand.

This is the multi-entry Non-O marriage visa at Savanakhet thread.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The kor ror 2 is an extract from the Thai marriage register to show that you are not divorced. It is pretty much mandatory for dealing with most Immigration offices within Thailand for extensions but I don't recall this being required at either Vientiane or Savanakhet before Covid but happy to be corrected.

kr2.jpg.33913d680e51ae61814bd0ee6598dab8.jpg

However, I did witness Savanakhet asking Non-O marriage visa applicants for a kor ror 5 which is the certificate of name change (when Thai partner takes their foreign partners surname). It looks like a marriage certificate but has a green border. The lady at the shop across the street from the Savankhet Consulate who does the unofficial pre-screening of documents couldn't explain why some applicants needed it and some didn't.

kr5.jpg.f8938848bf418be16f0a2cc12db2e726.jpg

I found out later that if one was married in Thailand prior to certain date, this information was never separately recorded so wasn't available when they digitized their national marriage/divorce database (this is what enables you to get your kor ror 2 from any amphur). We were married in October 2007 and according to the amphur in Udon Thani, this is why I couldn't get one before I headed to Savankhet, ie. it cannot be created digitally as the data was never captured. Any Consulate or Embassy will know that this is the case when looking at the date on the marriage certificate.

NB: Before Covid, it was never published on any Consular website that the kor ror 5 was a requirement, hence some getting 'inexplicably' denied at Savanakhet. If the OP can confirm his marriage registration date, it may clarify if this document is still required for the newer marriages or not (and they're still not telling anyone).

I was the same as @Red Forever and they asked for a Kor Ror 2. Same time also, last visa before Covid. I was married in 2004. It was only because of previous visas issued at Savannakhet that I was granted a visa. The Immigration officer wanted to talk to my wife on the phone but I couldn't register on a network.

13 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Helpful info

How do you get from Ubon to Mukdahan? Daytime bus? 

My flight arrives there 7pm and wanted to jump straight on a bus but read that they stop in the evening 

They got buses and minivans. Unsure if you will still have transport at that time.

Guys,

Stop asking questions on information that is not covered in the topic I wrote. It is extensive, all the information I have and that is needed. I have nothing else to share.

I see people asking if I need insurance for example. If you need to apply for a Thai pass of course you need insurance. The 2000B price to get into Laos is what was asked of me and a second guy wo arrived at the same time as me. He was of a different nationality, from a different continent.

Read the post twice if you are unsure about something and figure it out.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, nightfox said:

You don't need an agent. Just ask your local immigration officer that you don't have the 400K in your bank and see what they say as more likely they will tell you that they can act as an agent/money fixer for you.

I doubt it very much,  im guessing you have never applied for an extension based on marriage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, starky said:

Not sure about that. Have asked many agents up my way, Udon, and no agent will touch an extension by marriage due to the heavy scruitiny in the main office in Khon Kaen. They will cop a sling for a retirement visa anywhere in the range of 15-20 k even with no funds but they wont go near a marriage with a 10 foot pole. Which is why i go to Savvanakhet

A co worker of mine just did a marriage extension from many covid extensions  for 20,000.                                      From the "special person" at the Buriram immigration.

1 hour ago, mtsr said:

Guys,

Stop asking questions on information that is not covered in the topic I wrote. It is extensive, all the information I have and that is needed. I have nothing else to share.

I see people asking if I need insurance for example. If you need to apply for a Thai pass of course you need insurance. The 2000B price to get into Laos is what was asked of me and a second guy wo arrived at the same time as me. He was of a different nationality, from a different continent.

Read the post twice if you are unsure about something and figure it out.

How much do you think a minivan costs in both countries?(to buy)

• Haha 1

Laos entry visa for UK is $35 or 1500bht, for the USA $40 or 2000bht.

A wife passport has never been required at the Sav. consulate.

I always took a 20 bht KR2, just in case, they always give it back.

I will take a KR2 when I next go, just in case.

Never been asked for wife divorce cert, but as it has been mentioned, I will, just in case.

I will have a new passport if/when I go, I will take my old one with many Sav. visas in it, just in case....????

On 6/17/2022 at 8:09 PM, SunsetT said:

So the Laos visa is 2k thb now. Did you happen to notice how much it is in $? It used to be cheaper.

It has, indeed, always been better to pay in US$. I think I recall that the price of the Lao visa in US$ is now $40 for most nationalities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

It has, indeed, always been better to pay in US$. I think I recall that the price of the Lao visa in US$ is now $40 for most nationalities.

Or if entering Laos at a crossing that accepts them get a Lao visa online for $50. No waiting for a VOA or worry about having the correct amount of cash. See: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index

• Like 1

I also got a Multiple Entry Non O based on marriage from Savanakhet on June 13/14th. Just to confirm the price for the Laos visa is 2000 baht, better to do evisa as much less hassle. 

I was also asked for the wife's name change certs. One for ms to mrs and one for surname change so 2 docs.

They didn't ask for the divorce thing (KR2) but the wife always comes with me and and they always speak to her.

Wife passport is mentioned as required but I'm sure I have done it before without and no issue.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Or if entering Laos at a crossing that accepts them get a Lao visa online for $50. No waiting for a VOA or worry about having the correct amount of cash. See: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index

This is a particularly good idea if wanting to take the international bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane. Personally, I have always been lucky when getting the Lao visa on arrival at the Friendship Bridge to Vientiane. When entering from Mukdahan to Savannakhet, however, the visa on arrival counter is often closed early in the morning, and getting the e-visa makes great sense if planning to enter there early. It is worth mentioning that you cannot use the Lao eVisa at all entry points, though the main ones are OK.

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is a particularly good idea if wanting to take the international bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane.

Plus there is no full page visa sticker put in your passport. Just a stamp stating you used the e visa.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great news and great post – thanks!

(I wasn't too hopeful that this visa would ever make a comeback after everything got shut down)

I obtained this One-Year Multi-Entry visa at Savannakhet in November 2019 – my first one and no problems.

I hope I can still catch you for just one question.

You mentioned:

“I had 400K in the bank and brought a bank statement with me to be sure.

But to try it out I didn't mentioned anything of it and they never asked.”

I don't understand why you mentioned this, and the fact that you did surprises me and has set off some alarm bells.

My understanding was that this visa benefited those who couldn't meet the financial requirements in order to go the marriage extension route.

As I cannot meet the financials, this visa was a saviour for me.

The fact that you brought a bank statement with you “to be sure” puzzles me and is a worry.

Have you heard something with regard to this... like any change to the original non-requirement of money in the bank?

(In fact, seeing as you do have the 400k, I can't quite see why you are using this visa rather than going for a marriage extension, but then I don't know all your circumstances.)

As far as I'm aware, this visa – available also at the consulate in HCMC – never required any money in the bank.

If you've heard anything to the contrary, I'd really appreciate it if you put that information out there.

Many thanks – looks like we've got something to cheer about at long last.

6 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

My understanding was that this visa benefited those who couldn't meet the financial requirements in order to go the marriage extension route.

You are correct that it has that benefit. However, that is not why the option exists. You are lucky. Indeed, at most embassies/consulates, financial proof is required. Savannakhet and Ho Chi Minh City are the only nearby locations where you can get a multiple Non O without financials.

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2022 at 12:45 AM, BritTim said:

You are correct that it has that benefit. However, that is not why the option exists. You are lucky. Indeed, at most embassies/consulates, financial proof is required. Savannakhet and Ho Chi Minh City are the only nearby locations where you can get a multiple Non O without financials.

Just for information, looking at the visa information page for the Royal Thai Consulate General in HCMC, they require proof of financials.

2.4.1. Thai spouse:

• Guarantee letter from Thai Spouse, can be Thai or English
  • Copy of Thai marriage certificate

- If an applicant has another national marriage certificate, the document will need to be translated in English by a notary public

- For Vietnamese marriage certificate need to be legalized by Department of External Relation in Ho chi Minh City (Address: 6 Alexandre De Rhodes, Quận 1, TP.HCM)

• Certified copy of Thai spouse’s ID card
  • Certified copy of house registration book
  • Other relevant document, for example copy of Thai child’s birth certificate with their passport/Id card

2.4.2. Thai child(ren) 

• Copy of Thai child’s birth certificate with their passport/Id card
  • Certified copy of house registration book

2.5. Applicant’s financial statement of adequate finance is required.

Also note the need for "certified"copies of ID card and Tibian Bahn without any suggestion as to what is considered an  acceptable body to do that certification.

https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-accompanying-thai-spouse-and-family-members

Edited by NanLaew

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

2.5. Applicant’s financial statement of adequate finance is required.

Also note the need for "certified"copies of ID card and Tibian Bahn without any suggestion as to what is considered an  acceptable body to do that certification.

The financial proof is the standard 20k baht or the equivalent of it in a foreign currency that is required for all visa applications.

Certified means signed and dated by your wife.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The financial proof is the standard 20k baht or the equivalent of it in a foreign currency that is required for all visa applications.

Certified means signed and dated by your wife.

I thought the "standard 20k baht or the equivalent of it in a foreign currency" was the criteria of an examining RTP immigration officer on arriving in the country. Is there any recent evidence that the RTCG in HCMC which issues visas on behalf of the MFA uses the same criteria as the RTP? My understanding is that theses two entities have little in common in that MFA dictates what's required to apply for entry while overseas wheres the RTP decides what's needed for actual entry on arrival.

Similarly for the wife's signature being accepted as "certification". This appears rather arbitrary and lax when one considers the bureaucratic hoop-jump that even the simplest of tasks requested of a Thai government entity typically demands.

I'm not doubting your advice and the vagaries of their decision making isn't unknown but if there's a recent link to a successful Non-O multi (Thai spouse) visa application at HCMC that only required evidence the 20k baht (equivalent) and the spouse's "self-certification" of the support documentation, that may be handy.