Non O visa run to Savannakhet June 2022

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I thought the "standard 20k baht or the equivalent of it in a foreign currency" was the criteria of an examining RTP immigration officer on arriving in the country. Is there any recent evidence that the RTCG in HCMC which issues visas on behalf of the MFA uses the same criteria as the RTP?

The 20k baht is not only a immigration requirement. The MFA also uses the 20k baht requirement. On many embassy websites it is stated in the visa requirement. This from the embassy in the US.

image.png.941f26dfb97b153e5906abc4d70d54fb.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

Dependent upon the exchange rate you will find that is 20k baht.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Similarly for the wife's signature being accepted as "certification". This appears rather arbitrary and lax when one considers the bureaucratic hoop-jump that even the simplest of tasks requested of a Thai government entity typically demands.

That has been accepted for a visa application at HCMC and at many other embassies and consulates.

It is about equal to your wife signing copies of a her ID card and house book registry at immigration, embassies and consulate.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 20k baht is not only a immigration requirement. The MFA also uses the 20k baht requirement. On many embassy websites it is stated in the visa requirement. This from the embassy in the US.

image.png.941f26dfb97b153e5906abc4d70d54fb.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

Dependent upon the exchange rate you will find that is 20k baht.

That has been accepted for a visa application at HCMC and at many other embassies and consulates.

It is about equal to your wife signing copies of a her ID card and house book registry at immigration, embassies and consulate.

OK, thanks for clarifying this.

I apologize for bringing it up on the Savanakhet visa thread. Hopefully an HCMC visa thread will pop up before I make that decision next February.

Completed a visa run to savanakhet.

Cost for Laos VOA is $40 USD or 1500baht so it was slightly cheaper paying in thb. 

I'm Aussie which is normally cheaper (32usd) but was charged 40.

They charged everyone a stamp fee 100baht each. 

Consulate had no line up, straight though to the window and out in 5mins. 

Agoda was having a fit when we booked our hotel rooms, 700baht which is double normal rate at Avalon 2 counter.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, ndreamer said:

Completed a visa run to savanakhet.

Cost for Laos VOA is $40 USD or 1500baht so it was slightly cheaper paying in thb. 

I'm Aussie which is normally cheaper (32usd) but was charged 40.

They charged everyone a stamp fee 100baht each. 

Consulate had no line up, straight though to the window and out in 5mins. 

Agoda was having a fit when we booked our hotel rooms, 700baht which is double normal rate at Avalon 2 counter.

which day of the week did you go?

did they ask for proof of funds?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Pardon the interruption folks... How many days in advance of visa expiration can we apply for a new visa?

I have the aforementioned Multi-entry Non-O based on marriage to a Thai from Savannakhet that is due to expire toward the end of July. I'm thinking to go this week or next to get a new one as I might be away when the visa expires and would prefer to return to Thailand with a valid visa. I thought I read somewhere that one can apply for a new visa up to one month in advance of the expiration date. Can anyone confirm that or am I batty? Also, and this is a lesser issue but since I'm on the topic, will the new visa be dated from the expiration date of the old visa or will it be dated from the day on which the new one was applied for? ...The concern being that I might be short-changing myself a little bit.

Many thanks! Bam.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Pardon the interruption folks... How many days in advance of visa expiration can we apply for a new visa?

That's a good question.

Many folk in Thailand married opt to obtain ME non O based on marriage from Savannakhet.

Hopefully some guys doing that can advise. 

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I have the aforementioned Multi-entry Non-O based on marriage to a Thai from Savannakhet that is due to expire toward the end of July. I'm thinking to go this week or next to get a new one as I might be away when the visa expires and would prefer to return to Thailand with a valid visa. I thought I read somewhere that one can apply for a new visa up to one month in advance of the expiration date. Can anyone confirm that or am I batty? Also, and this is a lesser issue but since I'm on the topic, will the new visa be dated from the expiration date of the old visa or will it be dated from the day on which the new one was applied for? ...The concern being that I might be short-changing myself a little bit.

Many thanks! Bam.

Some ideas ... You have the option of a border bounce just before your planned trip out of Thailand (90 day permission to stay, as you know) and a re-entry permit to return on during the 90 days. You can then schedule the Savannakhet trip for a little later. Another option is a 60-day extension of your current permission to stay just before your departure. The 60 days is added to your current permission to stay and, again, can be protected using a re-entry permit.

I assume you have no interest in switching to a one-year extension within Thailand rather than the multiple entry Non O visa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Some ideas ... You have the option of a border bounce just before your planned trip out of Thailand (90 day permission to stay, as you know) and a re-entry permit to return on during the 90 days. You can then schedule the Savannakhet trip for a little later. Another option is a 60-day extension of your current permission to stay just before your departure. The 60 days is added to your current permission to stay and, again, can be protected using a re-entry permit.

I assume you have no interest in switching to a one-year extension within Thailand rather than the multiple entry Non O visa.

Thanks BritTim, yes, I'm aware of those options and indeed might border bounce and kick the can down the road. No interest in the 1-year extension but thanks for mentioning it.