Alcohol sales ban in Thailand between 2 PM – 5 PM to be lifted nationwide on July 1st but only in hotels, says Tourism Minister

webfact

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

"Imagine if some tourists are relaxing in their hotel, and they are suddenly notified that the alcohol is not allowed anymore from 2-5 PM. This will surefire ruin the country’s reputation,” the tourism and sports minister said.

Well, it's a bit late for that. As the opening paragraph says, the rule has been long-standing. But, as with any pointless and unenforceable law in Thailand, hotels have treated the rule with the contempt it deserves and just ignored it. That's been my experience, anyway. I've never been refused a beer in the afternoon, at any hotel.

It's never been enforced in any hotel.

1 hour ago, wandasloan said:

No it wasn't. Definitely not. Nothing in your post is correct.

The law dates from 1971 when dictator Thanom performed a coup against himself and then had to try to think up a reason or three for doing that.

At the time, Thaksin was 22 years old and attending the Thai Police Cadet Academy. 

If you aspire to help forum folks with Thai history or anything else, bear in mind the military's 7 Ps.

The law may date from then but the ban of alcohol sales except between 11 and 2 was introduced by a minister in Thaksin's government, who also wanted to close bars at 10 and nightclubs at midnight. Fortunately, there were enough people of influence to tell him to take a long run off a short pier, but the daytime restrictions got through.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

National — The long-standing alcohol sales ban between 2-5 PM will be lifted nationwide on July 1st but only in hotels, the Tourism and Sports Minister said today, June 17th, at the Center for Covid-19 Situation (CCSA) meeting. 

De-facto, it's never been enforced out here in rural Thailand.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I have been able to buy alcohol between those hours at Villa Market.  Don't know how they get around the law.

Around 5 years or so ago the law used to be you couldn't buy between 2-5PM unless you bought so many liters worth.  I think you had to buy 15 big bottles or so.  But then they closed that.

Also Foodland... They don't put it through the till, but make it a special cash sale so when/if the government does a check the time does not come up, only the date. They are doing this as a special favour to customers and help profits of course unless they get caught.
But we should not make this "too" public as an enthusiastic man mib might catch on to a lucrative racket.

This is the issue with having a predominantly ex-military government who feel obliged to flex their power by dreaming up ridiculous laws.  They should remember that if they approve a law that is an "ass" the population will laugh at the law makers (and ignore the law).

4 hours ago, chrischronic said:

Not once in my 10plus years staying at hotels around Thailand have they ever restricted me from buying a beer at these times. 

Me too. I thought it only applied to take-away sales from 7-11's. Mainly to prevent kids from buying booze.

It would be better to close the entertainment venue at 1.am, Thai people can't drink they only pour in till they are drunk. Alcohol and driving doesn't go together and with bars open to 2. am the problem only get worse... Tired,drunk and than go home.... Why are there so many accidents in the early morning??? My brother in law is a driver.. He can drive from Bangkok to Trang and back in one time and while he has to wait to he will drink a few beers....So tired, alcohol, and he doesn't wear glasses but his sight is getting worse...Just waiting till something happens I suppose and how many others don't do the same?

• Confused 2

Lets not get too excited. The way this government thinks, the 2pm to 5pm window will become the only time you can legally buy alcohol, the rest of the day sales will be banned...! 

Just now, mikeymike100 said:

More good news, together with the scrapping of the Thai Pass! Whats next I wonder, scrapping of face masks??

hopefully they'll raise the bar for long-stayers. atmo it's way to easy for poor whingers and moaners to live here and contribute little else except how 'rediculous' Thailand is. 

1 hour ago, welshissan said:

Really !!

My children are out of school before 5pm

Also see under 20's buying alcohol is common place

You just proved that this ban is no deterrent. We all know mom & pop shops that will sell 24x7, so get rid of the damned ban.

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Only those shops with electronic tills don't sell between the restricted times, My local

Ma & Pa shop actually still has an Aucubas on the counter. I'm Not Joking.

LOL, I think you have been hitting the bottle during closing time...............

Image result for aucubas this is an Acubas.........................................and this is an Abacus...Image result for abacus....................:sorry:......................:biggrin:

Not again ......... 

The girlie bars had to add "food", "snacks" etc. to their operating offerings as bars were not allowed to operate. Now the same bars will have to add "hotel", "guesthouse" etc. to their business module to sell the firewaters without upsetting Covid. 

Thinking of it I am sure that one or the other bar already has some accommodation to offer and likewise it gives the dead accommodation industry the opportunity to create a new business model. "A room with a view" is what we had already - go for "a room with a drink". 

6 hours ago, chrischronic said:

Not once in my 10plus years staying at hotels around Thailand have they ever restricted me from buying a beer at these times. 

Nor any bar, in 27 years but it'll always be fodder for the tedious Thaivisa Thai-bashers and whingers!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, grain said:
3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How can that be so? School kids are in class during the periods in which the ban is imposed. And BTW it is already illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 20 years.

2 hours ago, grain said:

That was the reason given when the law was introduced. Also 7-11s within a certain distance to schools, not allowed to stock/sell alcohol. How long have you been in Thailand? All this was common knowledge at the time.

So, are you one of those who is always taken in by the political narrative?

Imagine that you are a Politian, during the 1970s (or whatever) in Thailand, where there is a serious drink problem and what you want to do is stop people from indulging in all this daytime drinking and get on with doing some productive work.

So close the pubs and bars during the afternoon, that should help. (something they did in the UK during WW1 by the way) But what are we going to tell the public? The real reason isn't much of a vote catcher is it. in fact it could make you downright unpopular.

So you sell them a nice warm fuzzy narrative instead. 'It's for the good of all our children's future who are our country's future'. Now that should catch a few more votes, or at least not be as politically damaging.

That, to me is a far more likely reason.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Excel said:

In my local 7/11 they already do except they call it the shop as half of the staff appear to have fallen asleep over their phones so hence can not attend to customers in a timely manner.

Maybe they just see you coming and pretend to be otherwise occupied?   

I've never seen a 7-11 that was so quiet that the staff had time for their phones and, even on the odd occasion that I'm the only customer, I've never seen the staff on their phones.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grain said:

Most ridiculous law, brought in during Takky's time to stop school children from buying booze.

The law was introduced to stop the sale of alcohol in the areas around schools, it was not put on the books to stop school children buying alcohol as there were already laws prohibiting the sale to minors at any time.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

alcohol sales ban between 2-5 PM will be lifted nationwide on July 1st but only in hotels,

Oh really, where I lived in rural Thailand there was no ban on alcohol sales, the village "ma & pa" shops were always obliging. Only the Mini Big C and Tesco Extra complied.