Alcohol sales ban in Thailand between 2 PM – 5 PM to be lifted nationwide on July 1st but only in hotels, says Tourism Minister

webfact

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The comments in this thread, and others that discuss alcohol, is about the pointless restrictions that are not in place in most other countries in the world. It's interesting that I can drink a beer at 3 in the afternoon in a place like Dubai, for example, but not in Thailand.

But not on a Sunday in many areas of the USA... now there was a place with confusing alcohol selling restrictions!

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

But not on a Sunday in many areas of the USA... now there was a place with confusing alcohol selling restrictions!

Indeed. I find it amusing that in the United States there are things that are far from united, with even counties within states having different laws. One town will not sell, five miles down the road the next town will.

22 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

This law, introduced by Thaksin, is one of the most stupid ever enacted in Thailand. Utterly pointless, and a real turn-off for tourists/visitors/people generally. Thankfully ignored by many outlets, however this half-assed statement from today's government is almost as stupid as the original law.

Wrong. Was introduced long before Thaksin

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. I find it amusing that in the United States there are things that are far from united, with even counties within states having different laws. One town will not sell, five miles down the road the next town will.

In North Texas I had to drive a few Km to be able to get a six pack... in Pa some nonsense about beer from a particular type of shop only on Sunday... yet we got guys on here going on about Thailand's ways!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 6:42 AM, jacko45k said:

Well the major supermarkets, like Big C and Lotus also have the restrictive hours. Stopped the groups of farangs drinking in AC comfort and at supermarket prices in the food courts. 

makro south pattaya branch dont even sell cigs before 11 am........

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 4:52 PM, webfact said:

the change, according to the minister, will initially be limited to hotels that cater to tourists.

So it will be okay on Soi 6 in Pattaya where all the bars have rooms upstairs. 

Any hours when ganja sales aren't allowed?

On 6/18/2022 at 6:54 AM, grain said:

Most ridiculous law, brought in during Takky's time to stop school children from buying booze. Just scrap the whole stupid law, and make it illegal to sell alcohol products to under age kids? 

It was an old revolutionary decree from a military government that had fallen into disuse but Thaksin revived it.

On 6/18/2022 at 7:22 AM, Excel said:

older kids who never bothered to go to school anyway

Indeed. M4 and up is when my classes start thinning out. Then I occasionally see them back in class, and overhear them talking to their friends about "kin lao, kin lao, hahaha". Sometimes they've even told me they want to sleep off their hangover. I tell them to go do it in the nurse's office.

Any alcohol restrictions are a joke. Anyone can get all the booze they want anytime, at the corner mom and pops that also sell the chips and snacks. They even got rice whiskey discreetly concealed in used M-150 bottles, for only 10 baht a pop.

Is that M-150 in that bottle the school bus driver's kicking back, as he swerves in and out of traffic to rush the kids home, then go service the mistress? Likely not, the way he's driving.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 2:02 PM, Thingamabob said:

This law, introduced by Thaksin, is one of the most stupid ever enacted in Thailand.

The law was not introduced by Thaksin, but Thaksin make many laws including this to be enforced. And yes, very stupid law. Saw an interview with some governmental ministers, and they could not answer why the law is there or why.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 6:54 AM, grain said:

Most ridiculous law, brought in during Takky's time to stop school children from buying booze. Just scrap the whole stupid law, and make it illegal to sell alcohol products to under age kids?

Thaksin enforced the law from 1971, and I heard the reason has nothing to do with schools. For schools it is a law with a distance from where the school is located. For this 2pm - 5pm ban I heard it was because they wanted the governmental staff to go back to work after lunch and not stay in the restaurants drinking the rest of the afternoon.

• Haha 1

The 2-5 pm rule has never been observed in the condo complex where I live, so the irritation has been minor. Still, one of the most obnoxious and insane rules to ever be implemented. It is anti-business and actually no different than the Sunday “Blue Laws” in the United States. I’m amazed that the wealth of the two major brewing companies did not prevent this rule from ever being passed.

Don't know for sure but i suspect these Thai alcohol restrictions may be related to British licencing laws.

Until 10 years ago bars in the UK were only allowed to open 

Mon to Sat 11am till 3pm and 6pm till 10.30pm (so closed 3pm till 6pm)

Sun noon till 2pm and 7pm till 10pm (so closed 2pm till 7pm)

These licencing hours were introduced during the 1st world war because of munition factory workers who went for a beer at lunch time and didn't return to work.  Just a thought, they made sense  in 1914 - 1918 but not now.