A French city approved burkinis in its pools. Then the backlash came

onthedarkside

Just now, teelac777 said:

I understand banning of the burqa for security reasons, just like you can't enter a shop in France wearing a bike helmet.  I also understand that for the French lifestyle the burqa is generally a tad extreme.

Now we all have to wear face masks, I think that excuse has gone out the window.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What! Are you saying western women only wear the clothes they do because they are forced to by western men? Unless you are talking about clothes designers, which are both men and women, so I don't see your point.

I didn't say they were forced. Here's what I wrote:

But in the same way - Western women have been adjusting their looks and outfits to what was pushed to them by Western men.

and that was in reply to a post saying Muslim women dress as they do because they were indoctrined by Muslim religion/men

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Now we all have to wear face masks, I think that excuse has gone out the window.

Face mask requirement in public was lifted last month.  It's not apples to apples anyway because that rule was to protect people from COVID, not related to social integration. 

22 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I didn't say they were forced. Here's what I wrote:

But in the same way - Western women have been adjusting their looks and outfits to what was pushed to them by Western men.

and that was in reply to a post saying Muslim women dress as they do because they were indoctrined by Muslim religion/men

Explain how they are pushed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, James105 said:

Western woman have adjusted their clothes over the years according to the fashion of the day. 

These 2 pictures are from Afghanistan.   One is from a time when the women there were actually allowed to choose, the other is from more recent times now that men are making the choice for them.    

image.png.17ff0072a03f2a637f8215650261ab63.png

Yes, but.... The article is about France, not Afghanistan...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Explain how they are pushed.

Who has been creating fashions for most of the past few hundreds years? Who has been creating ads all those years? Who displayed what a desirable woman should look like?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Who has been creating fashions for most of the past few hundreds years? Who has been creating ads all those years? Who displayed what a desirable woman should look like?

Both men and women.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They are not "forcing" you or anybody else to wear anything. They are wearing what THEY want. What you are doing is forcing your dress requirements on them.

Freedom of religion includes freedom to dress how they want. How does it hurt you that they dress in a particular way?

I would agree with you should the countries they are coming from accept my wife wearing a bikini on their beaches..... By the way, I think you never visited France recently....... Maybe the current situation of emigration in this country would make you think slightly differently...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

But the same people don't make the connection between anti muslim extremism and wearing of crucifixes. I'm not saying there is a connection, merely pointing to the absurdity of the of the connection. Any excuse to justify bigotry.

Touche' ???? It's interesting to note the selective chronology of Christian nations don't you think? The numbers killed displaced terrorised and traumatised in the name of Christian 'religious' values is considerable throughout the history of man. 

40 minutes ago, decca60 said:

I would agree with you should the countries they are coming from accept my wife wearing a bikini on their beaches..... By the way, I think you never visited France recently....... Maybe the current situation of emigration in this country would make you think slightly differently...

It wouldn't and I think you mean immigration.

4 hours ago, James105 said:

This is allowing misogynists to hide behind religion in order to treat females as lesser beings to the men.

I'm not sure men thinking women need their behaviour modified/restricted = hating women.

Let's face it 'free range' women soon turn into single moms.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Western woman have adjusted their clothes over the years according to the fashion of the day. 

These 2 pictures are from Afghanistan.   One is from a time when the women there were actually allowed to choose, the other is from more recent times now that men are making the choice for them.    

image.png.17ff0072a03f2a637f8215650261ab63.png

Muslim women in France are under no such repression and so if they choose to wear Hijabs, etc they are obviously doing it of their own volition.

You have not provided links to verify your photos authenticity, origin or age.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure men thinking women need their behaviour modified/restricted = hating women.

Let's face it 'free range' women soon turn into single moms.

Just stop it,

Edited by ozimoron
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Correct.

Well done that town council.

There is absolutely no reason to ban burkinis

If people wish to wear them, then so be it. 

Well let a trans gendered none Muslim man try to wear one in public and see if the Muslims are happy about other people / races / religions wearing them. ????

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

But the same people don't make the connection between anti muslim extremism and wearing of crucifixes. I'm not saying there is a connection, merely pointing to the absurdity of the of the connection. Any excuse to justify bigotry.

When I lived in Pakistan long time ago, I did not like local women to enter the swimming pool "fully dressed" without taking first a long shower : indeed those dresses can contain a lot of pollution

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Muslim women in France are under no such repression and so if they choose to wear Hijabs, etc they are obviously doing it of their own volition.

You have not provided links to verify your photos authenticity, origin or age.

Since you asked... have some links...

https://nypost.com/2021/09/11/incredible-scenes-of-womens-liberation-in-1970s-afghanistan/

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/05/1117762

27 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

The Muslim men are forcing their women to wear them. No sane women would want to go swimming dresses like that.

Have you asked all sane women in this world?

Some time ago I knew a pretty young woman who visited Morocco. While she was there she covered herself according to the local rules. And she liked it.

She told me she though it was comfortable that she could walk around without anybody staring at her.

And she was used to those stares from the western world. 

Why not leave it up to the women how they want to dress? 

31 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Well let a trans gendered none Muslim man try to wear one in public and see if the Muslims are happy about other people / races / religions wearing them. ????

I would have no problem with transgender woman or transgender man for that matter wearing a burkini in public...