Conversion of Tourist visa to Type O

My attempt to get retirement visa failed, so I left Thailand and re-entered on a tourist visa.

My understanding is that I can change to a type O, then later re -apply for a retirement visa.

• What grounds can be used to convert tourist to Non-immigrant type O visa.
  • What form is used?
  •  Cost?

I searched for this info, but some links dont work or due to the dynamic nature of immigration rules I dont trust old links, dont want to spend hours at immigration only to be rejected.

All help appreciated.

Thai Rade

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

if you a tourist visa you would use a TM86 form to change your visa to a non-o visa.

Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Thanks again UJoe.

Below from the above PDF

5.1 Present passbook and Adeposit certificate from banks in Thailand (in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner))
5.2 Copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000 (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name)
5.3 B. Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand

A. What constitutes a deposit certificate and

B. what evidence of currency fund transfer is required?

I only have a passbook.

kind regards

Thai Rade

5.1 Is a letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance on the day it is written.

5.3 Is credit advice showing funds in the bank account came from abroad.

If your funds have been in the bank for some time most offices will waive the requirement for the proof it came from abroad.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thairat said:

To avoid Invalidating a retirement visa, the 800,000 baht must be maintained for the duration of the visa, or just 90 days after issuance of visa?

The 800k needs to be in bank on day of application for non O retirement. It is not a retirement visa. 

Are you planning to obtain 12 month extension? 

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, thairat said:

To avoid Invalidating a retirement visa, the 800,000 baht must be maintained for the duration of the visa, or just 90 days after issuance of visa?

To apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay the visa allows the 800k baht will have to be in the bank for 2 on the day you apply. Then after applying it will have to be in the bank for 3 months from day you apply and then 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k for the next extension.

• Thanks 1

Caveat!

If attempting to convert tourist visa to Type O as described above, via Tm 86, application to change visa type must be done while there are 15 days left on existing tourist visa, ie dont go to immigration with 5 days left on your tourist visa expecting to change to type O. Wrong!  they wont allow it. You must pay an additional 1900 baht for an 30 day extension of your existing tourist visa. This will grant you an additional 30 days, but must still apply for TM 86 with 15 days remaining on extension.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

OP what was the reason IO gave for not being approved? I’m going to renew my extension and t week and want to be prepared for possible hang ups. Thanks

This statement from the OP.

....... "change visa type must be done while there are 15 days left on existing tourist visa, ie dont go to immigration with 5 days left on your tourist visa expecting to change to type O. Wrong! they wont allow it" 

Suggests the OP went without 15+ days remaining on permission of stay.

An oversight on his behalf that requirement is nothing new. 

That was for non O. 

You are applying for 12 month extension. That's different. 

Edited by DrJack54