Thailand named as one of leading countries in world for e-Payment

webfact

It's been over a year now since my last trip to an ATM. Actually stopped carrying a wallet altogether.

The only people still asking for cash are some dinosaur vendors on the local fresh markets. I just go to another one then, there are plenty. But it's happening extremely seldom now.

Even the wife's gone cashless after being a skeptic for quite a while.

Edited by me4175

58 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Thai Banks should issue debit cards that are touch and go.

They do.  I have had a Bangkok Bank one for years.  I know for sure SCB, K Bank and KTB also do.  Pretty sure all the banks do actually.  It's nothing new.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

then punch in the unlock pin 5 times.

then search through the phone several times to find the QR reader.

then try several times to get it to scan the QR code

then stand there like a stunned mullet forgetting to press the confirm button.... usually prompted by to the cashier to do so after 30 seconds.

You're so sad, what a pity.

• Confused 1

I was very surprised to be able to use contactless when I was last in Thailand, admittedly only at Big C and Tesco Lotus. Here in the UK buskers in the street have contactless payment machines, as do individuals that might accept tips such as tour guides. Thailand is way, way behind but the comment above regarding gogo girls might not be out of the question in the future!

I think the OP relates to the use of Shopee, Lazada and the various sellers on Facebook to which quite a few Thais are addicted!

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Some people on here are extremely unlucky!  They always seem to have people in front of them who don't know how to use their phone (never happened to me), their 7-Eleven staff are always either asleep or playing on their phone (even though Thai people apparently don't know how to use them), whereas 7-Eleven has really well trained staff in all the stores I visit.

I dunno, I must just be really lucky.

location, location, location. simples.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I was back in Australia until just recently, in the Northern Beaches area just Nth of Sydney. I paid for everything with my touch debit card. I was living in a very large war veterans village, 99% of the residents over 65 yo, many in their 90s. In the village coffee shop/family restaurant they accept cash but 99% of the residents using their debit cards. Also using debit cards for taxis and more.

A side point, in this area most of the banks have removed their ATM machines because of very few transactions to get cash. And some banks have closed branches.

before I left the good ol' nanny state I was using my NFC-enabled smartphone to pay for everything. Google Pay and Apple Pay can link to your debit card and they use a virtual card number so it's safer than using your physical card. 

dunno what that's not a thing here in TH but I'm across glad that it's not otherwise it wouldn't feel like I'm in a foreign country.

"if everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other" - Groove Armada.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Total rubbish. Thai folks are wizards at smartphone use, have been for quite a few years. Look around you'll see many older/much older folks regularly using their phones with ease.  

The Chinese are way ahead of the Thais, and have been for longer. Makes life quite difficult for tourists, many facilities are automated and you have to pay by phone which requires a local account.

We went to a small town up in the mountains and our hotel was on the other side of the river from the town centre. There was a small ferry to shuttle people back and fore for the equivalent of about 3 baht. Everyone was paying by phone and the guy looked gobsmacked when I put a coin down, like he didn't want it.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

The Chinese are way ahead of the Thais, and have been for longer. Makes life quite difficult for tourists, many facilities are automated and you have to pay by phone which requires a local account.

We went to a small town up in the mountains and our hotel was on the other side of the river from the town centre. There was a small ferry to shuttle people back and fore for the equivalent of about 3 baht. Everyone was paying by phone and the guy looked gobsmacked when I put a coin down, like he didn't want it.

Before retirement, some 12 years ago, I did many consulting projects in Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzen. Even then I used my smartphone to pay for everything. All of the hotels I stayed in quickly set up my phone for the payments. 

51 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

The point being that you don't have to queue behind any "damn moron" if you do it on your phone.

how so.... short of knocking them out I don't know how to get to the cashier quicker.

6 hours ago, Excel said:

So in a gogo bar then instead of slipping a nice 100 baht note down the front of the ladies g-string ( assuming she was wearing any) you instead slip in your debit card presumably hoping to locate the card reader somewhere, have I got that right ?

100Baht - cheap charlie...

6 hours ago, Excel said:

So in a gogo bar then instead of slipping a nice 100 baht note down the front of the ladies g-string ( assuming she was wearing any) you instead slip in your debit card presumably hoping to locate the card reader somewhere, have I got that right ?

No, you tattoo your QR code on her (choose one):-

a) forehead

b) left t1t

c) right t1t

d) @rs€

e) w00fie

f) 0th€r

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

100Baht - cheap charlie...

Being a cheap charlie is a conscious decision and can be changed whereas your bad attitude appears to be an involntary trait

The Thai QR code payments work fine in general, but you do get the occasional plonker in front of you who tries to fire up their banking app only to realize that they've run out of data. Can't fix THAT, of course.

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Most of the time it seems its the first time they have actually used a phone... <deleted> Mongs.

I don't know where it is that you shop and eat, but so glad that it's not the same places where I go since I never experience all these terrible problems that you have.

17 hours ago, me4175 said:

Even the wife's gone cashless after being a skeptic for quite a while.

Not happened at my place... local market seems to be cash orientated and Mrs still needs cash off me. I have started paying some utility bills by scanning a QR Code on my phone... it is slick. 

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Before retirement, some 12 years ago, I did many consulting projects in Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzen. Even then I used my smartphone to pay for everything. All of the hotels I stayed in quickly set up my phone for the payments. 

I think they have gone through different systems. I first went in 2013 when my niece started at Sun Yet Sen and at that time although phones were well used cash was still fairly common.

When we went back in 2019 for her graduation cash had become very difficult with everything being paid for by QR code. I asked my niece about alternatives and she said that virtually all the retailers were using a system that required a local bank account, not really a viable option for a visit. We transferred some money into her bank from Thailand and she paid for most things. I had mainly GBP with me which I couldn't change, but another story. You could still pay by cash but they wouldn't give you any change.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not happened at my place... local market seems to be cash orientated and Mrs still needs cash off me. I have started paying some utility bills by scanning a QR Code on my phone... it is slick. 

I'm mostly in CM and BKK I have to admit.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, scorecard said:

I was back in Australia until just recently, in the Northern Beaches area just Nth of Sydney. I paid for everything with my touch debit card. I was living in a very large war veterans village, 99% of the residents over 65 yo, many in their 90s. In the village coffee shop/family restaurant they accept cash but 99% of the residents using their debit cards. Also using debit cards for taxis and more.

A side point, in this area most of the banks have removed their ATM machines because of very few transactions to get cash. And some banks have closed branches.

Okay until you lose/break your card! Or someone skims it. ☹️☹️