Are we being ripped off

seajae

Contact the Thai seed trade association or the Thai ministry of commerce and get real information related to seed exports and the rules.

Refer briefing guide on import and export in Thailand.

https://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/guide-thailands-import-export-procedures/

"Currently, around 50 goods categories require an export permit. These include goods such sugar and rice, which require a permit to maintain quality, and others including trees and seeds that require permits under other laws. The Customs Department website provides a detailed overview of restricted goods"

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Your wife had the correct paperwork issued in Thailand so it's a mistake or the people calling are they really DHL or con artist. 

thats what we are thinking, they would not issue phytosanitary certificates if it was not allowed, trouble is getting some official to answer our queries, we have received emails from her friend in Tahiti that he got from DHL  as well saying customs have stopped it but that just doesnt ring true

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

A good point ! There have been numerous reports and I myself have had bogus DHL claims phonecalls.

When asked the caller what waybill they were referring to, they hung up !

It seems the DHL scam is also in the UK also

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, seajae said:

thats what we are thinking, they would not issue phytosanitary certificates if it was not allowed, trouble is getting some official to answer our queries, we have received emails from her friend in Tahiti that he got from DHL  as well saying customs have stopped it but that just doesnt ring true

Well I don't need to tell you what to do you must have DHL head office number and the tracking number. 

• Like 1

First,  regardless of what you have done in the past I would educate yourself as to the regulation to confirm you are correct. 

Several years ago I order some sports equipment particularly two dozen balls.  I get a call one day then a confirming email that I needed to fill out forms that they needed my passport and they would pick it up,  when the driver came said copy is OK,  day later I get a call why you give us a copy?  In the conversation she said you can come to our office Sirichai said it was on Sukhumvit I cruise down back and forth called back no office is at airport.

In the end I turn the whole thing over to my son they thought based on the number of balls felt I was a import exporter,  office wasn't theirs but Thai customs,  the shipping person could speak English but barely could read or understand the difference between original and copy. After a month still around and around shipper sent me a new shipment using another shipper. 

Ask for a manager start thereafter!?  Good luck. 

5 hours ago, Chris.B said:

No we are not being ripped off as I doubt many guys here post seeds around the world. ????

I think you are wrong about this.  Many do send seeds out of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i stopped using DHL for import and now use only EMS allthough it takes a bit longer.

i do not think DHL are cheating but they are following many rules, some of them are

DHL internal rules that has nothing to do with thailand, and so they complicate things

more than they should.

better avoid DHL alltogether where possible and use TNT  or EMS instead.

i think that even UPS or FEDEX will be easier.

I have used DHL occasionally for sending important documents and I was always more than satisfied. I use the office on 2nd Road in Pattaya shortly after Mikes Shopping Mall. They are fast and reliable and you can download a certificate which shows you the exact time your mailing was received, naming the recipient and showing the signature.

The only thing I noticed that they increased prices. I do not remember if it was two or only once during the past year. But if I want it fast and reliable, then it is DHL. I do not know if it matters (I think not), but if I send something then it is to Switzerland.

Edited by moogradod

3 hours ago, Excel said:

In all my years here I have found DHL the worst to deal with. Not sure why that should.

I've been with UPS, have a number of family and friends with FedEx which patent after both really well run companies no nonsense strict! 

DHL,  I know is from Europe (Germany?) old well known company known mainly for International how well run I'm not sure in the States they seem to be known for their documentation service. 

I was once associate with a company trying to grow into the U. S. Market against UPS, FedEx called Airborne Express in the early 90's it was a temporary stop paid well with benefits during the Dot Com so it's growth was fast and easy I pretty much dump majority in the company stock. 

It didn't take long to realize the inmates were running the show I might have been the only guy who wasn't stealing from the company.. I felt it time I cashed in all my stock and took a vacation. A year or two later DHL wanted to into the U. S.  market quickly to compete they purchased Airborne spent a ton to advertised in the 2012.Olympics. I don't think thereafter it was more than two years they folded the yellow tent and went back to their old business plan. The purchased of airborne might give you a clue? 

When it comes to International very few fly their own aircraft that include UPS, FEdEx, USthey contract to many commercial airlines so the process of tracking is very important then you have the individual countries and their setup of course training. 

When writing I remember the company I had problems it was TNT,  now from my experience I check my mutual funds to make sure I wasn't invested in them????

just dont give your details over the phone
sounds more like a common scam here
we get the calls all the time
if tracking says nowt, then its a scam

if it is not allowed, then they wont send it.
if it is allowed, contents were declared when you made the contract with them to send and you paid them amount stated

Edited by patman30

I use DHL 5 days a week and they are better than FedEx and UPS in Thailand. Sometimes there are communication problems but this is Thailand and patience is needed...

Just call their export department if customer service can't help you.

Ask them to tell you the exact rules in an email and go from there.

Almost zero chance that DHL is trying to steal from you.

Good luck!

• Like 1

UPDATE, we got a reply on our email to a head person in customs, there were no new regulations and that if there were we would not have been issued a phytosanitary certificate, he also said that dhl are responsible to ensure that all documents required is supplied(they were by my wife), he also told us what was required to send seeds overseas(everything was done as required by my wife, she also has an export permit) and he appologized for any inconvenience. Seems  it rested on dhl but rather than let it drag out we did pay the 1000 baht (online transfer) and the package was shipped out straight away which does make their excuse that it was not allowed look suss

Edited by seajae

9 hours ago, seajae said:

UPDATE, we got a reply on our email to a head person in customs, there were no new regulations and that if there were we would not have been issued a phytosanitary certificate, he also said that dhl are responsible to ensure that all documents required is supplied(they were by my wife), he also told us what was required to send seeds overseas(everything was done as required by my wife, she also has an export permit) and he appologized for any inconvenience. Seems  it rested on dhl but rather than let it drag out we did pay the 1000 baht (online transfer) and the package was shipped out straight away which does make their excuse that it was not allowed look suss

Sounds like you were in a hurry.

Whenever there is something confusing with our DHL exports and imports I simply ask them to research and get back to me and 95% of the time all is well.

The remaining 5% of the time does need patience...

As for DHL being responsible from a business point of view - yes, but not legally - if there is a mistake the exporter and importer are responsible.

I strongly doubt that DHL was trying to cheat you - maybe they made a mistake or there was a communication problem... Mistakes happen...