Non IM O Visa application

Just given up on applying for a Non IM visa to ge back into Thailand after 6 months in UK.  What a load of BS.

havign got throught all the usual stuff, passport page, photo, flight no. etc.  I came to the real  nonsense; 

1. Sign a Declaration form, agreeing to such wide ranging restrictions that only a military gov could have thought up, nd probably not 1 Thai in 1000 would comply with

2. Proof of residence in my home country.

3. Financial statement and proof of wealth, more than needed for Non im extension.

4  Health insurance.  Seems impossible for someone of my age (78)

maybe more  hurdles to come, but gave up at that point

So what are my options?  My current Non IM O retirement runs out on 22/7 and I have re-entry permit for that.

1.  Abandon the business I came to UK for and dump the air ticket I bought to return on 23/8; grab he first flight I can get back before 20/7, and then carry on with an extension of my existing visa?  usual restriction apply for cheap ticket bought on EXpedia. 

2.  Enter Thailand on 30 day visa exempt and then try to convert to Non O for retirement, or use agent to do the same.  Might be cheaper that changing my ticket.

Are there similar restrictions/requirements for getting Non O visa in Thailand?

has anyone on the Forum actually done he change from 3 month no visa entry to Non O retirement?

I have no problem with the financial requirement for Retirement visa, more than 1 Mil. in my bank for more than 6 months.

I thought that when the Covid restriction ended on 1 July, that it wold be easy to get back to Thailand, but  seems that not so.

Suspect that (2) might be your better option. But at which immigration office would you be seeking to obtain a conversion of a visa-exempt entry into a non-O visa for retirement? Others on here who have succeeded (or otherwise) in obtaining non-O visa conversions at that particular office would then be able to share their personal experiences with you.

Another thing that you should bear in mind if you were planning to travel to Thailand on a one-way flight ticket with the aim of receiving a visa-exempt entry upon arrival is that you would need to provide evidence of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the following 30 days when checking in at LHR (or from which UK airport you will be flying). A cheap throwaway flight ticket booked with the likes of Air Asia to a destination in a neighbouring country should do the trick here.

You could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day stay that can be extended for 30 days.

Then you could then apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa apply for a one year extension based upon retirement.

OP, you have a Thai bank account with funds in place.

Return visa exempt and apply for non O retirement quickly.

Subsequently obtain 12 month extension.

Which immigration office? 

Regarding onward flight for visa exempt you could buy throw away ticket or Google "onwardflight" you will find rent a ticket options..

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you have a Thai bank account with funds in place.

Return visa exempt and apply for non O retirement quickly.

Subsequently obtain 12 month extension.

Which immigration office? 

Regarding onward flight for visa exempt you could buy throw away ticket or Google "onwardflight" you will find rent a ticket options..

As an alternative to the 'onward flight' consider a Booking.com booking (subsequently cancelled) for a hotel in Siem Reap and say that you are meeting friends in Surin and will depart Thailand at the land border at Chong Chom/Osmach.

Thanks or useful information.

I will be using Phayao Immigration , and have done so since it opened.  I have never had any problem with them.

Normally I would go to I/O in advance and book appointment for visa extension etc. and get list of documents required.  My bank, Kasikorn, are used to supplying the required evidence of funds in place.

As i am entering with 1-way ticket, it looks as if I will need to book some ticket out.  I did not know of this requirement, nor did THAI think to tell me when I booked the flight.

Any more sneaky rules, like medical insurance?  

I am getting the impression that Thailand no longer welcomes visitors like it used to, or is it just because I am not a young millionaire or 'quality tourist' but just an old man who wants to live quietly with his Thai wife.

I have a "Yellow Book" for my (wife's) house in Phayao, so can I assume that it proof of accommodation?

32 minutes ago, Robin said:

.....As i am entering with 1-way ticket, it looks as if I will need to book some ticket out.  I did not know of this requirement, nor did THAI think to tell me when I booked the flight.

Any more sneaky rules, like medical insurance?  

I have a "Yellow Book" for my (wife's) house in Phayao, so can I assume that it proof of accommodation?

1.  Air ticket out.....just buy one of the cheap ($15.00 or less) throwaway tickets as mentioned.

2. Insurance.....none required (after this month).

3. You won't need "proof of accommodation" to apply for a Non-O or extension thereof here in Thailand; however, you very well might need to show proof that a TM30 (which, I guess, is a proof of accommodation) has been filed for you.