Which route did he take?

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The Nth Pattaya to Ekkamai bus drivers which is what we are talking about drive safely, I've never had a speeding driver, always smooth. What's your experience of that bus service?

I've been on a bus in Thailand once, from Phuket to Chumphon ( do you know where that is? ), this was more than 20 years ago and i've not been on a bus since.

I drive myself where i need to go and the wife will pick me up from the airport.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Certainly safer than getting a speeding taxi, then you have the crazy pickups tailgating

Most people that have been here a long time have a regular 'driver' they used, most likely based on safety and reliability.

15 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I've been on a bus in Thailand once, from Phuket to Chumphon ( do you know where that is? ), this was more than 20 years ago and i've not been on a bus since.

I drive myself where i need to go and the wife will pick me up from the airport.

ok so your experience is well out of date, enough said

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

See you copied parts of my recent post, clearly not quite up to the real world yourself but never mind, dream on in  your delusional world that most foreigners here long term have drivers. 

You've obviously misinterpreted my comment, i don't mean they have someone on their payroll as a 'driver' i mean a regular person / taxi driver they use.

This may explain why you got your knickers in a twist.

Some people do have drivers the btw.

• Like 1

Just now, PJ71 said:

You've obviously misinterpreted my comment, i don't mean they have someone on their payroll as a 'driver' i mean a regular person / taxi driver they use.

This may explain why you got your knickers in a twist.

Some people do have drivers the btw.

I don't even except that most long term foreigners here even have someone on their payroll. Usually those retired here or living with families, which make up by far the biggest majority of long termers,  do not have a company so hence no payroll nor would they wish/able to afford  a regular Thai driver given  the fact that they have been here so long then they are fully aware that 90% of all male Thais are complete headcases when placed in front of a steering wheel.  Anybody who would risk the lives of their family or loved ones by doing so should seriously consider the risks involved.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

I don't even except that most long term foreigners here even have someone on their payroll. Usually those retired here or living with families, which make up by far the biggest majority of long termers,  do not have a company so hence no payroll nor would they wish/able to afford  a regular Thai driver given  the fact that they have been here so long then they are fully aware that 90% of all male Thais are complete headcases when placed in front of a steering wheel.  Anybody who would risk the lives of their family or loved ones by doing so should seriously consider the risks involved.

You don't understand what i'm trying to say.

Bi Bi.

• Like 1

Ha, so I guess some of you if a taxi was 120 b would still take the bus?

Sounds so silly and stupid just admit it is all about the money.  It´s like trying to convince yourself that economy is better then business class.

Comfort, control and convenience come at a cost.  If a person is unable or unwilling to pay for it, then I guess they need to choose the lesser alternative.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Just now, CygnusX1 said:

Around 3 years ago I paid a million baht for an Elite visa. Was met just off the plane by a stunningly attractive lady, who drove me to immigration in a golden cart, honking at commoners to get out of our way. I then made my way to the far end of the terminal, where I purchased my usual bus ticket to Jomtien, and waited with the commoners for the best part of an hour for the next available bus.

Good on you as it does help to rub shoulders with the riff raff from time to time just so that you can appreciate how lucky you are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Can some of you guys enlighten me?

As for the route the taxi took to me 3 hours ,can you guys advise what route he took so I don't need to go thru a slow painful 3 hours and I can assure you he definitely didn't get a tip!

It is possible he took the non-toll roads which are usually on ground level. Also they sometimes take the route on Hwy 3 (Sukhumvit) and 34, again staying on the slow lower level. There are often roadworks too. Sometimes these guys take a route that suites them better!

9 hours ago, bbko said:

What is it about some people that think "I do it this way, so why aren't other following my style?"

Get over yourself.  

And the thing is nobody really cares about whether they take the bus, taxi or limousine. I guess must be a bit bored if complaining about people not taking taxis on a public forum.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:28 AM, georgegeorgia said:

About 3 years ago I remember ordering a taxi from jomtien to patpong Bangkok, the driver took forever to get there,left at around 1130am and arrived about 230pm

It was a long ride ,I don't want to repeat that considering I got to Pattaya in a hour 

There is no way one can get a taxi from Patpong to Jomtein in one hour. 3 hours seems reasonable if traffic is bad.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Somehow I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

There is no way one can get a taxi from Patpong to Jomtein in one hour. 3 hours seems reasonable if traffic is bad

Maybe with Claude Lelouch at the wheel (web search “Claude Lelouche rendezvous”, not sure if I’m allowed to post a link).

On 6/24/2022 at 7:28 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I mean some of these guys tip in bars frivolous but won't spend a extra money on getting to the airport comfortable 

You probably answered your own question. Because they have fun in bars and give high tips, they end up having to use public transportations the next day.

It's funny what the mix of alcohol and half naked girls will do to your wallet ????

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, georgegeorgia said:

As for the route the taxi took to me 3 hours ,can you guys advise what route he took so I don't need to go thru a slow painful 3 hours and I can assure you he definitely didn't get a tip!

The two hour drive cost 2000 baht. 

Can't believe people take the three hour ride to save 1000 baht. /s

On 6/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, KhunLA said:

"considering I got to Pattaya in a hour"

Were the wheels touching the ground ?

Patts beach to Silom is 130-150 kms away.

I used to live near the Crocodile Farm and frequently did the trip to/from Suvarnabhumi via Highway 7 in 60-65 minutes. I also once got from the office at Asoke@Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi in 25 minutes going the 'southern' route past Klong Toei on the Chalerm Maha Nakhon elevated.

The OP's 'scenic route' will have been the old Highway 3 (aka Sukhumvit) via Samut Prakan, Bang Pakong, Chonburi and Sri Racha. The newer, elevated part is called the Bang Na - Chonburi Expressway but before that was built it was all dual-carriageway at sea-level with awful hump-back bridges. A few years back, I decided to come back from Bangkok 'the old way' just for a change. That was nigh on 5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

13 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

The two hour drive cost 2000 baht. 

Can't believe people take the three hour ride to save 1000 baht. /s

The coach from Jomtiem food mart was a pretty comfy slick operation... if one lived nearby, in one of the VTs perhaps, easy to get to. If you had a pal drop you off even easier. The drop off at the airport was easy and off you go. I have had a lot of drama over the years with various mini- buses and taxi drivers, getting to the airport can be stressful. It got to the point I would always stay in a hotel near DMG.... use the hotel Limo next day. When Swampy opened, it was an easy ride from Pattaya....find a reliable taxi. 

Edited by jacko45k

13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Costs 1200 including today ,Mike's taxi service 

I don't understand why Cheap Charlie's take crappy B1,200 taxis to the airport when they can order the AOT 7-Series limo for a few bucks more ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I don't understand why Cheap Charlie's take crappy B1,200 taxis to the airport when they can order the AOT 7-Series limo for a few bucks more ????

Tell us, what is the difference in price? I am more used to  a similar vehicle being included in my flight ticket!