Ex-Trump aides say six House Republicans sought pardons after Jan. 6

onthedarkside

Screenshot_1.jpg.c71423bba9a13f7d7f702d9272720e7e.jpg

Former Trump White House aides testified to the Jan. 6 select committee that six House Republicans sought presidential pardons in the aftermath of the Capitol riot.

Why it matters: The testimony was played at the end of a hearing that included new details about lawmakers' involvement in former President Trump's efforts to pressure the Justice Department to probe his voter fraud claims.

Driving the news: According to the aides who testified, the following members sought pardons:

Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.)

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.)

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.)

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas)

Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.)

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.)

(more)

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/23/house-gop-pardons-jan6

Axios.jpg.4187a2b8528622e09334e0c4a5609e8f.jpg

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Mo Brooks abandoned by Trump and will testify to the Jan 6 committee. Could be the John Dean that will put the final nail to Trump’s demise. 

What kind of demise and outcome might this include? 

1 hour ago, onthedarkside said:

Driving the news: According to the aides who testified, the following members sought pardons:

For what reasons do they have for pre-application of a presidential pardon?

In the Axios report:

Details: Brooks emailed the White House requesting "general (all purpose) pardons" for himself, Gaetz and the 147 Republican House members and senators who voted against certifying Arizona's and Pennsylvania's electors, according to Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.).

A presidential pardon is a right granted to the President of the United States by the U.S. Constitution to forgive a person for a crime, or to excuse a person convicted of a crime from punishment.

What are the crimes?

10 minutes ago, lemmie said:

In the Axios report:

Details: Brooks emailed the White House requesting "general (all purpose) pardons" for himself, Gaetz and the 147 Republican House members and senators who voted against certifying Arizona's and Pennsylvania's electors, according to Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.).

A presidential pardon is a right granted to the President of the United States by the U.S. Constitution to forgive a person for a crime, or to excuse a person convicted of a crime from punishment.

What are the crimes?

Let’s start with Matt Gaetz:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/matt-gaetz-justice-department-cpac-b2024186.html?amp

12 minutes ago, lemmie said:

In the Axios report:

What are the crimes?

Conspiracy to defraud the United States of America.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemmie said:

So, okay, nothing to do with J6?

I’ve got news for you.

The sworn testimony given during the J6 hearings is revealing wide spread corruption and criminality in the GOP.

If you want to argue Gaetz’s pardon request relating to sex with minors and trafficking minors for sex is not an important revelation, please feel free to do so.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve got news for you.

The sworn testimony given during the J6 hearings is revealing wide spread corruption and criminality in the GOP.

If you want to argue Gaetz’s pardon request relating to sex with minors and trafficking minors for sex is not an important revelation, please feel free to do so.

I am here for this topic

"Former Trump White House aides testified to the Jan. 6 select committee that six House Republicans sought presidential pardons in the aftermath of the Capitol riot."

You want to talk about the sexual exploits of your boy Matt, you're on your own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lemmie said:

You are way off base. But please do articulate your comment with some corroboration, statutes, 18C reference because you might be surprised, especially if you read the Mo Brooks email and story reported on Raw Story.

https://www.rawstory.com/mo-brooks-pardon/

Don't get too over-excited here about this pardon circus diversion,, it's not worth it.

You are missing a salient point.

Requesting a pardon demonstrates understanding that crimes have been committed.

It blows a hole in any defense of ‘I didn’t know/didn’t realize/didn’t understand’.

Pardons are very helpful to criminals if they happen to have one, quite the opposite if they get caught in a failed attempt to get a pardon.

3 minutes ago, lemmie said:

I am here for this topic

"Former Trump White House aides testified to the Jan. 6 select committee that six House Republicans sought presidential pardons in the aftermath of the Capitol riot."

You want to talk about the sexual exploits of your boy Matt, you're on your own.

Remind me, it was you that said:

29 minutes ago, lemmie said:

In the Axios report:

What are the crimes?

or subject to malicious prosecution.

"Rep. Brooks defended the request in a statement provided to Rolling Stone, citing a “concern Democrats would abuse the judicial system by prosecuting and jailing Republicans who acted pursuant to their Constitutional or statutory duties.” He added that pardon wasn’t necessary because “rational forces took over and no one was persecuted for performing their lawful duties.” Brooks included a picture of a printout of the email referenced by the Jan. 6 committee."

https://www.yahoo.com/video/gop-rep-asked-trump-pardon-213754533.html

So in an attempt to avoid alleged future ‘malicious prosecution’ a bunch of Republicans slapped big flashing signs on their heads begging for the attention of criminal investigation.

It’s a home goal.

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So in an attempt to avoid alleged future ‘malicious prosecution’ a bunch of Republicans slapped big flashing signs on their heads begging for the attention of criminal investigation.

It’s a home goal.

I really think it's water under the bridge at this point in terms of being a judicial event and now has become more of a democratic gatcha talking point. Lord knows they need some talking points going forward. They'll need to come up with much more than this to win some points though.

Edited by lemmie
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s a home goal.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

helpful street sign

Sorry, you are becoming confusing now. I am not following this and sense there is a play here about what I don't know.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lemmie said:

I really think it's water under the bridge at this point in terms of being a judicial event and now has become more of a democratic gatcha talking point. Lord knows they need some talking points going forward. They'll need to come up with much more than this to win some points though.

Considering Brooks and others who sought pre-emptive pardons are the inner circle of the coup plot, the pardons will be be indirect evidence of a logical inference that the fact exist in court case. Not good for them and Trump.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

the pardons will be be indirect evidence of a logical inference that the fact exist in court case. Not good for them and Trump.  

What court case we talking about here? Has one of the 147 members been charged with a crime from the Jan-6 committee?

Rep. Brooks defended the request in a statement provided to Rolling Stone, citing a “concern Democrats would abuse the judicial system by prosecuting and jailing Republicans who acted pursuant to their Constitutional or statutory duties.” He added that pardon wasn’t necessary because “rational forces took over and no one was persecuted for performing their lawful duties.”

https://www.yahoo.com/video/gop-rep-asked-trump-pardon-213754533.html?guccounter=1

Yes, it could be good evidence for anyone of the 147 members as it goes to their state of mind and their concern and fear of persecution and malicious prosecution for merely fulfilling their duties but may be viewed as self serving and only a fool of a prosecutor would delve into self serving exculpable evidence in judicial proceedings and most likely this evidence could and would be disallowed as inflammatory under an objection.

Just so you know in America, there is no law against requesting a presidential pardon that I am aware of.

No biggie here, as I mentioned, at least none that I can see for any of the members. And you mention Trump, exactly what implication does this have for him, anyone, even mickey mouse can request a presidential pardon. I fail to see the concern here for these members and Trump other than to try and throw poo at the wall,

• Thanks 1

What court case we talking about here? Has one of the 147 members been charged with a crime from the Jan-6 committee?

Rep. Brooks defended the request in a statement provided to Rolling Stone, citing a “concern Democrats would abuse the judicial system by prosecuting and jailing Republicans who acted pursuant to their Constitutional or statutory duties.” He added that pardon wasn’t necessary because “rational forces took over and no one was persecuted for performing their lawful duties.”

https://www.yahoo.com/video/gop-rep-asked-trump-pardon-213754533.html?guccounter=1

Yes, it could be good evidence for anyone of the 147 members as it goes to their state of mind and their concern and fear of persecution and malicious prosecution for merely fulfilling their duties but may be viewed as self serving and only a fool of a prosecutor would delve into self serving exculable evidence in judicial proceedings and most likely this evidence could and would be disallowed as inflammatory.

Just so you know in America, there is no law against requesting a presidential pardon that I am aware of. No biggie here, as I mentioned.

The DoJ has asked the committee for all their evidence. Not being charged yet means nothing at all. The DoJ request isn't so they can put them on their christmas card list.

1 hour ago, lemmie said:

Just so you know in America, there is no law against requesting a presidential pardon that I am aware of.

Have you asked for a pardon?  I haven't.  But then, I haven't committed any crimes that would require a pardon. 

If I was a DOJ prosecutor seeking individuals who might have been involved in a major crime, I would consider folks seeking pardons as someone who "might" be prime suspects for said crime.

• Like 2