73 year-old American motorbike driver injured by hanging communication wires

snoop1130

38 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

My father taught me you can be right or you can be dead right.

Riding a motorcycle is 10 x more likely to result in your death vs a car [USA]. 

In Thailand it has to be even riskier.

Thus, you might say Riding is Dead Wrong. ☠️

42 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

And had this gentleman been driving a car, no need for a brain x-ray, because cars protect you against this scenario.

The End.

Right, and walking is safer than cars and motorbikes, especially if cars and motorbikes are banned.

Of course it is safer still to never go anywhere, so everyone stay home.

Let's not do the obvious thing and call for safer road conditions.

Edited by heybruce
  • Haha 2

Nobody cares. We'll read a similar report next week, and the next and the next. Many Thais have no pride in what they do and simply have no interest in doing a job properly. I'm not really sure why that is, but it is extremely common - maybe even the norm - in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

I saw a Thai youngster get hung by wires on 2nd Road near Central Festival a few months back….not pretty at any age! ????????????

Agreed. Anyone having been reading here would have learned the wires have gotten folks of all ages.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

With a moniker of SAFETY FIRST , I would have thought you would

have more sympathy with the old rider who was injured through no

fault of his own , riding a motorbike you are expected  to look forward,

in rear view mirrors ,and what's happening on both sides, NOW you

are forced to look above ......not acceptable ,the next one may not

so lucky .... and there will be a next one.

regards Worgeordie

This is a harsh comment. 

We don't know all the facts. 

Had he been affected by drugs or alcohol, tired or fatigued. 

We do know that he wasn't wearing a helmet. 

I am a sympathetic person but anyone not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle any where in the world doesn't get my sympathy. 

Why would he have to look up, if the wire was above him he would ride under the wire. The wire would have been in his vision, I would say straight ahead of him, maybe he wasn't wearing his glasses. 

Geeze, people making excuses. 

It's comments like yours that allow the incompetent to ride the streets without their helmet and glasses. 

We all need to be accountable, we're not (most of us) children. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, bbko said:

Yes, cause the vision and reaction time of a 17 y/o is exactly the same as someone that's 73.  

On a similar note, why isn't George Forman going to fight Tyson Fury?

True but let me stir the pot a bit,  what you say in regards to reaction time is correct but one has to think in general 17 you are dump and full of cum age provide us with a bit of wisdom even common sense to not go as fast more cautious to reaction time. 

The six death I've seen weren't by hanging wires, not because of youth and quick reaction time to see and avoid but due to stupidity thinking their youth and belief they were invincible?????

Him being a foreigner I could take a real good guess the hospital he is at. When you get to that age it is about making you feel all fuzzy and safe inside they will run expensive test like test just to milk the <deleted> out of you.  At that age it is always run test on your head?  Years ago I slipped at home wet floor crack my head opened my son took me to the hospital clean the wound 10 staples ready to go home then head guy came in realized I wasn't Thai now I should be kept over night for observation although wound was closed suggested open it back up so he can make sure again. ????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think a few riders are going to have to die,before anything starts to get done.

regards worgeordie

so cute and naive that u think anything would change if few/many die cuz of dat ❤️
r u new here? enjoy stay

41 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

With a moniker of SAFETY FIRST , I would have thought you would

have more sympathy with the old rider who was injured through no

fault of his own , riding a motorbike you are expected  to look forward,

in rear view mirrors ,and what's happening on both sides, NOW you

are forced to look above ......not acceptable ,the next one may not

so lucky .... and there will be a next one.

regards Worgeordie

For him to run into the wires they were not above him but in front of him where he should have been looking. If they were above him he would not have gotten tangled in them

I wonder why its such a problem here?

I see hanging wires everywhere.  Sometimes wires not hanging, just lying along roads instead of up in the air.

It's such a lazy way when the posts are right there.  Typical Thai workmanship.  Always in such a rush its usually substandard or incomplete. 

Edited by MrJ2U

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What has the age of the driver got to do with hanging wires?

could it be that a younger person ... say 19 yr old would have a much quicker reaction time to duck or see the wire in advance than a 73yr old.   just saying ....  and just asking 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are 2 things that contributed to this accident and neither of them have to do with this mans age.

1: the wires hanging low

2: the rider not paying attention to what is in front of him

Being an ex-pat he should have been aware that at any point and at any time wires are going to be hanging low.

Looking at his injured head I would say that he was not wearing a helmet at the time and now he wants to blame everything on the cable companies.

Why wasn't he watching where he was going?

Why wasn't he wearing his helmet as is required by law.

Yes, low hanging wires are a problem but being an ex-pat living in this country and riding a motorbike he should have been more aware of this problem.

I'm 77 and still drive a car and ride a motorbike and wear a helmet at all times but I am aware of the different things about that cause problems on the road

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

could it be that a younger person ... say 19 yr old would have a much quicker reaction time to duck or see the wire in advance than a 73yr old.   just saying ....  and just asking 

You would think an older driver would be experienced enough to ride at a speed his/her reflexes would be able to react at.

Don't won't to victim blame, as against the rules of the forum, but I do wonder at times, how people get into the predicaments that they do.

Personally, I can't see myself getting collared by a hanging wire, or run over crossing the street, as 2 example that are getting a bit or press.

Not that those who have, is their fault, as not there, or know all the facts to make that judgement. 

I just can't see it happening to myself.  That may change in the future ????

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He is now recovering but still needs brain X-rays

Typical of Thai priorities, why worry about that mushy thing between your ears, nobody in Thailand uses it after all!

I have not worn a helmet in years on my bike, (probably my stupid.)

I only putt-putt around my local sois on my 110 Cub now.

Always dogs, garbage, tree foliage, children and wires to look out for.

I never tire of thinking "Where are all these people going in such a hurry?"

I rode 2 Kawi 750's back home.

Just try to stay aware.

Methinks this bloke was simply unlucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

We don't know all the facts

Excellent point… without knowing details were only guessing…  would be good if Mr. Mark

posted details so we all could learn …. I rode @ 9,500 miles in US on a 30 day holiday and 

always tired to be off the road at night…. I loved it.. the wife not so much 555

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What makes you think that anything is going to get done? 

I've been riding the roads of Thailand for over 20 years, it's always been the same, there's going to be the occasional dangerous challenge. 

If you're going to ride a motorbike in Thailand you must be more vigilant, aware of the many obstacles that are thrown at you from time to time. 

If I was this American rider, I'd be very embarrassed, I would have kept my mouth shut and hopped back on the bike when recovered, and be more bloody careful next time.

Geeze, it amuses me, foreigners coming to Thailand complaining about road conditions (let the Thais sought out the problems and do the complaining), if you're a foreigner, enjoy the beauty that Thailand has to offer. 

It doesn't matter what your age is, if you're Incompetent you're going to have an accident, MANAGE yourself people, stop blaming others, be Accountable. 

Next time, take the car or use Bolt. 

Yes, I'm expecting the Sad and Confused reactions from those of you that are Not Accountable or Incompetent. 

What a load of rubbish and I am neither confused or sad.  Thailand is very well known for it's very low and poor health and safety record and does little to redress this situation.  How many times have you passed a building site and the workers are not wearing helmets?  How many cases have you read of people being electrocuted through incompetent wiring in either swimming pools or houses?  How many cars/motor bikes have you seen join a main road without checking for oncoming traffic?  I could go on ad infinitum, but I doubt that it would sink in to your rather pathetic preconceived logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, robertson468 said:

What a load of rubbish and I am neither confused or sad.  Thailand is very well known for it's very low and poor health and safety record and does little to redress this situation.  How many times have you passed a building site and the workers are not wearing helmets?  How many cases have you read of people being electrocuted through incompetent wiring in either swimming pools or houses?  How many cars/motor bikes have you seen join a main road without checking for oncoming traffic?  I could go on ad infinitum, but I doubt that it would sink in to your rather pathetic preconceived logic.

Simply accept those facts, if you think they are true, before moving or visiting here.   

It's a work in progress.  As a guest, nobody forced you to move or visit here.

Better research = better choices = better (safer) life. 

• Sad 1