73 year-old American motorbike driver injured by hanging communication wires

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Headgame said:

Oh, seriously. I'm 78 and still riding more or less very day but just for fun not transportation. That means I'm on the road by 6:30 am, the sweet spot here where there is almost no traffic and go for about 90 min.

Now I would say that none of my 78 year old friends should be riding a motorcycle any where, much less TH.

But just saying 73 like it's impossible to be riding at 73? Very arbitrary and wrong. Testing should determine if you should be riding. Just wait until you're 73 and come back and up date your post.

I was still riding for fun at 73 but I had quit at 75 as I felt that My body would take longer to recover and I would have a problem picking up my Honda Phantom 200cc as it weighs around 160kg.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What makes you think that anything is going to get done? 

I've been riding the roads of Thailand for over 20 years, it's always been the same, there's going to be the occasional dangerous challenge. 

If you're going to ride a motorbike in Thailand you must be more vigilant, aware of the many obstacles that are thrown at you from time to time. 

If I was this American rider, I'd be very embarrassed, I would have kept my mouth shut and hopped back on the bike when recovered, and be more bloody careful next time.

Geeze, it amuses me, foreigners coming to Thailand complaining about road conditions (let the Thais sought out the problems and do the complaining), if you're a foreigner, enjoy the beauty that Thailand has to offer. 

It doesn't matter what your age is, if you're Incompetent you're going to have an accident, MANAGE yourself people, stop blaming others, be Accountable. 

Next time, take the car or use Bolt. 

Yes, I'm expecting the Sad and Confused reactions from those of you that are Not Accountable or Incompetent. 

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What makes you think that anything is going to get done? 

I've been riding the roads of Thailand for over 20 years, it's always been the same, there's going to be the occasional dangerous challenge. 

If you're going to ride a motorbike in Thailand you must be more vigilant, aware of the many obstacles that are thrown at you from time to time. 

If I was this American rider, I'd be very embarrassed, I would have kept my mouth shut and hopped back on the bike when recovered, and be more bloody careful next time.

Geeze, it amuses me, foreigners coming to Thailand complaining about road conditions (let the Thais sought out the problems and do the complaining), if you're a foreigner, enjoy the beauty that Thailand has to offer. 

It doesn't matter what your age is, if you're Incompetent you're going to have an accident, MANAGE yourself people, stop blaming others, be Accountable. 

Next time, take the car or use Bolt. 

Yes, I'm expecting the Sad and Confused reactions from those of you that are Not Accountable or Incompetent. 

Your post suggests that the government should not have accountability.  That the people who installed the poles and cables are not the ones who are incompetent.

I do not think that we should take it as granted that the fault will always be that of the people or the victims.  We should always strive to improve the government and continue to hold them, as well as the people, accountable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, steven100 said:

73 years old and riding a motorbike in Thailand .....   what could possibly go wrong   !!

So victim blaming? Maybe a better rider than many youngsters. I'm not sure if he was wearing a helmet though. It not, that would make him stupid, but nothing to do with age.

• Like 1

When I look at the images of him, He has bandages on feet, right leg to knee, forehead and right hand.

No mention of the type of motorcycle. If I fell off a motorbike with shoes, pants, helmet and gloves I would not have been injured like that. So he is a poster child for wear a helmet and gear and save your self from injury. Glad he made it ok.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bbko said:

Yes, cause the vision and reaction time of a 17 y/o is exactly the same as someone that's 73.  

On a similar note, why isn't George Forman going to fight Tyson Fury?

My reaction time are probably 2x better than yours sonny, I am 70.

13 hours ago, bbko said:

Yes, cause the vision and reaction time of a 17 y/o is exactly the same as someone that's 73.  

George is busy making toasters !.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

With you there. I'm 75 and ride my Forza daily and I don't dilly dally on the way. I have asked mates " If I was back in England would I still have my Enfield 500 ".  Likely not as too damn cold or too damn wet !

I liked riding a scooter here so much I bought one when I went back to Australia. It was not a big mistake financially, but riding conditions were entirely different.

For one thing, I could not ride it in the emergency lane of any freeway, nanny state regulation. I'm supposed to run it at 110 km/hr to keep up with freeway traffic.

It's very rare in Thailand to have a crosswind of more than 20 km/hr. On the foreshore of Port Philip Bay, a crosswind of 60 - 80 km/hr adds a new dimension to controlling anything on two wheels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is a harsh comment. 

We don't know all the facts. 

Had he been affected by drugs or alcohol, tired or fatigued. 

We do know that he wasn't wearing a helmet. 

I am a sympathetic person but anyone not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle any where in the world doesn't get my sympathy. 

Why would he have to look up, if the wire was above him he would ride under the wire. The wire would have been in his vision, I would say straight ahead of him, maybe he wasn't wearing his glasses. 

Geeze, people making excuses. 

It's comments like yours that allow the incompetent to ride the streets without their helmet and glasses. 

We all need to be accountable, we're not (most of us) children. 

First of all ,you say we don't know the facts , then you go on to say

he was not wearing a helmet or his glasses , no where in the report does

it say this, maybe the wire, I say maybe took his helmet off and that's why

his head is injured, if you're doing  30 , 40, 50 doubt you are going to see

a wire that's not supposed to be there. even if you had glasses on.....

your basically saying it's all his fault , 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Exactly! I'm 3 years behind you and I also feel in good health, both physically and mentally and I have no concerns about my reaction times. Use them or loose them is my attitude and so I ride as often as I can.

And here's some back up. Why motorcycling is a good form of exercise.

IMO riding my scooter is a form of mental exercise as well. Studies have shown people who exercise mentally are less prone to Alzheimer's than those who do not.

Concentration, balance, threat awareness and responses to developing situations on the road are all mental exercises.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

First of all ,you say we don't know the facts , then you go on to say

he was not wearing a helmet or his glasses , no where in the report does

it say this, maybe the wire, I say maybe took his helmet off and that's why

his head is injured, if you're doing  30 , 40, 50 doubt you are going to see

a wire that's not supposed to be there. even if you had glasses on.....

your basically saying it's all his fault , 

regards Worgeordie

A properly secured helmet does not come off, if the wire had caught the helmet he was obviously not wearing it would have probably snapped his neck.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Over the many years of riding on Thailand roads I've come across many hanging wires, I've navigated safely around these wires. 

Hanging wires have always been a hazard, many years before you and I arrived. 

We haven't enough information regarding the rider, was the American rider 

- affected by drugs or alcohol 

- tired or fatigued 

- wearing suitable eye sight glasses for road use. 

- mentally unstable 

-fit and healthy for riding 

- knowledge and ability, having the skillset to ride these dangerous roads 

- on medication 

If you're affected by issues above you are incompetent, you will not have or show the necessary skills to do something  successfully.

What we do know is that he was not wearing head protection, a poorly designed plastic helmet would stop the head injury he got. 

If the guy wasn't wearing a helmet who knows what else he was or wasn't doing correctly/legally. 

he might be new to LOS and his eyes saw the wires but his farang-brain couldn't comprehend the threat. "but those wires SHOULDNT be there, it's AGAINST THE LAW!!!" ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Over the many years of riding on Thailand roads I've come across many hanging wires, I've navigated safely around these wires. 

Hanging wires have always been a hazard, many years before you and I arrived. 

We haven't enough information regarding the rider, was the American rider 

- affected by drugs or alcohol 

- tired or fatigued 

- mentally unstable 

- on medication 

If you're affected by issues above you are incompetent, you will not have or show the necessary skills to do something  successfully.

What we do know is that he was not wearing head protection, a poorly designed plastic helmet would stop the head injury he got. 

If the guy wasn't wearing a helmet who knows what else he was or wasn't doing correctly/legally. 

I'm usually all of those things you listed above. no way in Hell will you catch me operating a motorcycle or any other type of vehicle, not here in Thailand and not anywhere else. I know my limits. 

if I ever get a Thai DL it will be for convenience, eg. to open a True Money Wallet.

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

he might be new to LOS and his eyes saw the wires but his farang-brain couldn't comprehend the threat. "but those wires SHOULDNT be there, it's AGAINST THE LAW!!!" ????

Agree, I was new to Thailand, once upon a time and I safely navigated around hanging wires.

Like I said probably Incompetence. 

Wires come down every day, I see these overloaded vehicles tearing these low wires down.

These damaged wires can't be fixed immediately, it takes time to get a crew out to repair. 

What we can manage, as a foreigner is to be more aware of the dangers, be accountable, don't ride if you don't have the skills no navigate safely around obstacles. 

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm usually all of those things you listed above. no way in Hell will you catch me operating a motorcycle or any other type of vehicle, not here in Thailand and not anywhere else. I know my limits

Well, you're a rare breed.....

a sensible foreigner living in Thailand, well done and good for you. ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Well, you're a rare breed. 

A sensible foreigner living in Thailand, well done and good for you. ????

I'm not totally sensible, that's a work in progress ????. but you have to accept that certain things are going to happen here whether you like it or not or have a "conscience" or not.

banging on about how it shouldn't happen or they aren't supposed to be there or its against the law is just p****g in the wind.

7 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

I am 73 which is not a problem but hanging wires are, to any aged biker.

Please try not to be too smart.

I would think that hanging wires would be a problem to ANY biker - regardless of age!

No mention of the communications company responsible for the hanging wires being brought to book - must belong to one of the "Untouchables"!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

Wearing a helmet would not make that much difference if the wire caught around the throat or the neck broken because it hit the helmet at high speed the head snaps backwards both circumstances would probably have killed him or any other motorcyclist outright. This isn't about whether he wore a helmet or not it's about the dangerous hanging wires which are death traps for motorcyclists,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If you can assume why can't I assume. 

Don't be so selfish. 

Look at the guys head, you don't get a nice dressing on your head if you're wearing your helmet. 

You're just being rediculous now, stop embarrassing yourself. 

I can assume , but you stated    "We do know that he wasn't wearing a helmet. "

no we don't , unless he is your friend and you have been talking to him, but

I don't think so , the way you have been talking about him.

Quote you      

"- affected by drugs or alcohol 

- tired or fatigued 

- mentally unstable 

- on medication "

or maybe he did not see the wire , that should not have been there  , your embarrassing yourself ....

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO riding my scooter is a form of mental exercise as well. Studies have shown people who exercise mentally are less prone to Alzheimer's than those who do not.

That very aspect is mentioned in the article I referred to earlier. I've made some direct comparisons as well. If I do even a short journey, 2 or 3 hours, by car I feel drained and sluggish. Make the same journey by motorcycle and I feel alive and alert. 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bbko said:

You have the brains of a Rocking Horse.

• Haha 2