73 year-old American motorbike driver injured by hanging communication wires

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

What a load of rubbish and I am neither confused or sad.  Thailand is very well known for it's very low and poor health and safety record and does little to redress this situation.  How many times have you passed a building site and the workers are not wearing helmets?  How many cases have you read of people being electrocuted through incompetent wiring in either swimming pools or houses?  How many cars/motor bikes have you seen join a main road without checking for oncoming traffic?  I could go on ad infinitum, but I doubt that it would sink in to your rather pathetic preconceived logic.

Your complaints and moaning won't change things. 

Like I said I've been riding the roads for over 20 years, it's been this way ever since.

I ride safely and to the conditions. 

I always wear my helmet and if I wore glasses for better vision I would wear them. 

Thailand is not perfect but it suits me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm 79, still riding my scooter and probably a damn sight fitter than some couch potato behind a keyboard.

With you there. I'm 75 and ride my Forza daily and I don't dilly dally on the way. I have asked mates " If I was back in England would I still have my Enfield 500 ".  Likely not as too damn cold or too damn wet !

• Like 2

In fairness, anyone who lives in the Khoa Noi area knows the comms companies have been tidying up the wires for several weeks. This last week the road has been absolutely covered in wires that have been cut and left on the pavement / road until the truck comes and collects them. It was so obvious that extreme caution should have been observed for anyone riding on that road. We all know they don't have the same safety standards out here. I'm amazed that not of the workers have been killed. They literally put their wooden ladder on the road and climb up to do the cables. The odd one will have someone footing the ladder or a solitary cone at the bottom of the ladder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I know the wires in some areas are low,I can Imagine he was was not looking at the time.No helmet  as well,look ahead when riding the bike,at lest he is allright

Probably looking out for soi dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I'll take a 73 yr. old paying attention to the road over a 17 yr. old texting on his phone every time.

I think he wasn't paying attention. My post above explains what has been going on this last few weeks on this road. These weren't your normal dangling wires, this is all about a mass tidy up and loads of workers have been on that road. It really wasn't hard to miss what has been going on.

As for the bikers texting. I'm with you on that. Bladder idiots

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

All these should have been placed under ground years ago, however, the government hasn't got a epair to force the media companys to comply, manly because Thailands hi so and politicians are the main share holders.

Are you talking about us old timers or the low hanging wires?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

All these should have been placed under ground years ago, however, the government hasn't got a epair to force the media companys to comply, manly because Thailands hi so and politicians are the main share holders.

Because the officials in government keep what budget money they can for their bank accounts to get rich. Too much corruption here.  They also have a relative to give the jobs too and overcharge so they make big money for themselves in kickbacks. If they don't have friends or family to give the job to, then it doesn't get done most of the time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think he wasn't paying attention. My post above explains what has been going on this last few weeks on this road. These weren't your normal dangling wires, this is all about a mass tidy up and loads of workers have been on that road. It really wasn't hard to miss what has been going on.

As for the bikers texting. I'm with you on that. Bladder idiots

I have low hanging wires in many streets where I live and I am use to them. But sometimes a team of electrical workers are working on them and they go to lunch leaving a greater mess than before.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

I have low hanging wires in many streets where I live and I am use to them. But sometimes a team of electrical workers are working on them and they go to lunch leaving a greater mess than before.

I'm absolutely with you. The health and safety here is non existent, which is why extreme caution is required even on a normal day, never mind when they are "improving" the wires ???? 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

He should have had them before he drove a motor bike on Thai roads.

So we should leave the roads to the Thais, and cower in our condos on the basis of your opinion? Do you have any experience of driving a two-wheeled vehicle on Thai roads?

Congratulations, a conclusion reached on the basis of a statistical population of one.

I have lived in Thailand for 15 years I am 84 do not drink or smoke keep very fit and healthy and drive a car and ride a Scooter ( Honda Click ) I am 64 kg no fat on me, still have great reflexes and can see very good, I have been riding Motor Bikes for over 60 years, have raced bikes, I always wear a correct approved helmet, gloves and jacket and never flip-flops or wife beaters.  

The people that say if you are older should not ride a bike or drive car are just stupid, I see every time I go out very bad younger people riding Bikes very bad car drivers,  , Farangs that are very over weight that have no hope of handing a bike correctly, many young people riding like lunatics with no idea what they are doing, Farangs and Thais with the GF side saddle that is very dangerous thing to do, young guys on holiday with wife beaters shorts flip - flops no helmet going like bats out of hell with newly acquired expensive Thai lady on the back. they are 1000 % more dangerous to themselves and other people, 

if you can Ride OK and safe the age should have nothing to do with it, and by the way nobody drives a bike you ride bikes that is motor bike push bikes with or with out motors all bikes.      

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shackleton said:

This seems to be a problem in most cities  towns hanging electrical wires cables ect 

No doubt will be reading  more about this subject in the coming days weeks ect 

Seems to be the flavor of the month, though I see tough competition with all thing soon to be blamed on ganga.

Last month top flavor pushed was crosswalks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rocking Robert said:

73 is not the same for all of us that’s my age I still ride my Harley Davidson road king still play three rounds of golf a week  and walk two hours a day

Harley Davidson's ain't motorbikes they are the forerunner to the Kubota powered Thai tractors ????????

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, mberbae said:

This has NOTHING to do with incompetency and, the Accountability

OK, so you have inside information, tell us more. 

Can you confirm that 

- he was not affected by drugs or alcohol 

- not tired or fatigued 

- wearing suitable eye sight glasses for road use. 

- mentally stable 

-fit and healthy for riding 

If you're affected by issues above you are incompetent, you will not have or show the necessary skills to do something successfully. 

41 minutes ago, mberbae said:

the writer is incompetent to assess what happened

by pre judging the motorcycle rider, regardless the age

The age is not a factor, I have many good friends that are in their 70's who ride better than most. 

Regardless of age, health, skill set you should always wear head protection, even a cheap plastic helmet should stop the head injury he has. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:
14 hours ago, steven100 said:

73 years old and riding a motorbike in Thailand .....   what could possibly go wrong   !!

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm 79, still riding my scooter and probably a damn sight fitter than some couch potato behind a keyboard.

Exactly! I'm 3 years behind you and I also feel in good health, both physically and mentally and I have no concerns about my reaction times. Use them or loose them is my attitude and so I ride as often as I can.

And here's some back up. Why motorcycling is a good form of exercise.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr. Wanchai told TPN media, “Mr. Mark has been injured from a motorbike accident when a communication wire became entangled with him while he was driving his motorbike back to his house. He is now recovering but still needs brain X-rays.”

He does if he excepts that "chicken delight" I see on the table.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think a few riders are going to have to die,before anything starts to get done.

regards worgeordie

I think a few Thai riders are going to have to die before anything starts to get done.  Farangs are simply expendable.  

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What makes you think that anything is going to get done? 

I've been riding the roads of Thailand for over 20 years, it's always been the same, there's going to be the occasional dangerous challenge. 

If you're going to ride a motorbike in Thailand you must be more vigilant, aware of the many obstacles that are thrown at you from time to time. 

If I was this American rider, I'd be very embarrassed, I would have kept my mouth shut and hopped back on the bike when recovered, and be more bloody careful next time.

Geeze, it amuses me, foreigners coming to Thailand complaining about road conditions (let the Thais sought out the problems and do the complaining), if you're a foreigner, enjoy the beauty that Thailand has to offer. 

It doesn't matter what your age is, if you're Incompetent you're going to have an accident, MANAGE yourself people, stop blaming others, be Accountable. 

Next time, take the car or use Bolt. 

Yes, I'm expecting the Sad and Confused reactions from those of you that are Not Accountable or Incompetent. 

"enjoy the beauty that Thailand has to offer"... if only life was that simple. There are tow types of expat in Thailand... the ones who turn a blind eye to matters that back home would be considered serious, and the ones with a conscience. 

I've been riding the roads of Thailand for over 20 years, it's always been the same, there's going to be the occasional dangerous challenge. 

If you're going to ride a motorbike in Thailand you must be more vigilant, aware of the many obstacles that are thrown at you from time to time. 

If I was this American rider, I'd be very embarrassed, I would have kept my mouth shut and hopped back on the bike when recovered, and be more bloody careful next time.

Geeze, it amuses me, foreigners coming to Thailand complaining about road conditions (let the Thais sought out the problems and do the complaining), if you're a foreigner, enjoy the beauty that Thailand has to offer. 

It doesn't matter what your age is, if you're Incompetent you're going to have an accident, MANAGE yourself people, stop blaming others, be Accountable. 

Yes, I'm expecting the Sad and Confused reactions from those of you that are Not Accountable or Incompetent. 

"It doesn't matter what your age is, if you're Incompetent you're going to have an accident, MANAGE yourself people, stop blaming others, be Accountable. "

How about the many reports on this forum of Thais dying after coming into contact with low hanging cables, they can't all be incompetent. Trouble is, you can't see a cable camouflaged against a dusty background until you're right on top of it.

Can't believe there are people on here who blame the rider for being garroted by cables that should be high above the road.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I rode my bike until I was 75 before I quit.

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet to get caught in handing communication wires I would have to ride 10 or 20 off road to where the power poles are.

I will try again. Damn predictive texting.

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet to get caught in hanging communication wires I would have to ride 10 or 20 metres  off road to where the power poles are.

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Good question, IMHO ageism is the only "ism" that remains socially acceptable, these days. Sometimes it is bordering plain sheer hatred; and somehow it never gets censored.

This thread is amazing, an accident happened,  caused by the company that let their wires dangle in the path of traffic, and now the victim gets blamed because he is "boomer". Seems that some people are jealous of the good life we boomers can enjoy here.

Strange on a forum where most people are "getting on a bit" that we have ageism at all. Maybe they're similar to me, who at 77 yoa still thinks everyone else is an "old feller".

• Haha 2

????