Something changed with the fuel?!

hi guys,

for some time now, im observing how much fuel my car is using.

my car can use e85 e20 and 95. i have mazda CX30

well obviously everyone knows the high fuel prices. But i also noticed i use more fuel than before. yes, my work is 30km away form my house so a trip is around 60km a day. now i started to use almost 70km so like extra 10km. the car is new so im pretty sure its not the car. i was wondering if somethings going on with the fuel. When i asked someone in my office he also told me he is kind of having the same issue. i mostly use PTT. and mostly 95 or e20

any ideas?

thanks

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

so a trip is around 60km a day. now i started to use almost 70km

Seems to me by your own account you are travelling 10km further ( was 60km/day but now 70 km)  so wouldn't you expect to use more fuel ?  That aside other than basic fuel calorific values in terms of the assigned Octane number being incorrect which obviously would have an impact, which I seriously doubt even PTT would mess up, then there can be many other factors even on identical routes. Traffic conditions, load in your car , incorrect tyre inflation pressure etc.

• Like 2

Depends what you used, and are using now.  Did you go from 91 to E85, and would think your kpL may or may not be effected.

Our MG is specifically designed (I think) to run on E85, though will accept E20, 91 & 95.  I've tested 3, not 95, and decided to stick with E85, kpL - cost p/L- and performance, and E85 works best for us.  Actually performs better, IMHO, on E85.  Being the least expensive of the lot, is just a major plus for us.

Designed for, and accepting, is a fine line to which it performs best on.  Maybe with some component adjustment, it will perform better on a different fuel.

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

Seems to me by your own account you are travelling 10km further ( was 60km/day but now 70 km)  so wouldn't you expect to use more fuel ?  That aside other than basic fuel calorific values in terms of the assigned Octane number being incorrect which obviously would have an impact, which I seriously doubt even PTT would mess up, then there can be many other factors even on identical routes. Traffic conditions, load in your car , incorrect tyre inflation pressure etc.

yes all my 60km trip is including the traffic and all. so i really dont know why my car spending more. i already checked the car about this. its totally normal

thanks for the info though

totally agree about PTT would do any fishy thing. Maybe im just over reacting.

Edited by problemfarang

23 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

any ideas?

How do you read your kilo distance measurements. ?

E20 would give slightly less kilos than E95 do you use the same garage.?

Do you use the same fuel all the time or keep switching.?

If the car was brought to me my first thought would be safety and check for minor fuel leaks. 

If nothing found plug the car in for computer analysis ECU check. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, to varying degrees, depending on the volume percentage of ethanol in the blend. Denatured ethanol (98% ethanol) contains about 30% less energy than gasoline per gallon. Ethanol’s impact on fuel economy is dependent on the ethanol content in the fuel and whether an engine is optimized to run on gasoline or ethanol.

In Brazil my 1l flex fuel VW got about 600kms on a tank of petrol (27% ethanol) but only about 450 on Alcool (100% Ethanol) not really 100% as they add something to stop people drinking it.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Depends what you used, and are using now.  Did you go from 91 to E85, and would think your kpL may or may not be effected.

Our MG is specifically designed (I think) to run on E85, though will accept E20, 91 & 95.  I've tested 3, not 95, and decided to stick with E85, kpL - cost p/L- and performance, and E85 works best for us.  Actually performs better, IMHO, on E85.  Being the least expensive of the lot, is just a major plus for us.

Designed for, and accepting, is a fine line to which it performs best on.  Maybe with some component adjustment, it will perform better on a different fuel.

agree on E85 is giving really performance to car. I can feel that the car becomes a monster. BUT i really think E85 is a money trap. as you mentioned you chose performance but you have to pay actually more. the engine is just drinking it like a water. So actually you pay  more than you would pay to 95 or E20. Thats why im using 95. its perfect balance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

So, you haven't tried it to see if with your trips it is cheaper....????

if im not mistaken E85 is giving a great performance to the car. I can feel it. Although that means the car is just drinking it. using more than others which means i pay more actually.

i read lot about this and all experts say the same. yes performance but a no if you are not rich

Edited by problemfarang

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

How do you read your kilo distance measurements. ?

E20 would give slightly less kilos than E95 do you use the same garage.?

Do you use the same fuel all the time or keep switching.?

If the car was brought to me my first thought would be safety and check for minor fuel leaks. 

If nothing found plug the car in for computer analysis ECU check. 

hi,

thanks for the suggestions. 

I compare the kilo distance with the kilo i still can go and the kilo i already gone. For example if im making 60km per a day, for 4 days i need at least 240km + 50km (traffic + lights + etc.) = 290 this is my calculation for my home-work. 

agree about e20 and 95. Thats why im trying to use 95. perfect balance for car performance and budget. 

about fuel im using.. well mostly 95 but these days its E20

there are nothing with the fuel tank or else, no leak. Its in perfect condition. 

ECU and all are ok. 

tbh i started to think maybe i stuck in the traffic longer than i think. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was just talking about this exact thing with my wife this morning, then I read this here.  I have noticed the same thing for about two weeks now, but with using the diesel B7 ,  from PTT.   I'm only about 5km from work, and i just puzt around the small town trying to conserve fuel,  but my fuel consumption is noticeably up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Something changed with the fuel? yeah.. The price, i used to fill my Honda PCX for 100 + now it's 240 Baht, not to my mention my Benz, i said not to mention me Benz yes?..

yep, i could full the tank for 1270 before now its 1750 ???? and it gives only a 1 week driving,,, 

Edited by problemfarang

2 minutes ago, thaitom said:

I was just talking about this exact thing with my wife this morning, then I read this here.  I have noticed the same thing for about two weeks now, but with using the diesel B7 ,  from PTT.   I'm only about 5km from work, and i just puzt around the small town trying to conserve fuel,  but my fuel consumption is noticeably up.

yes.. it seems you are having the same thing as me. Its like somethings wrong... for some reason im consuming more fuel than before... 

im pretty sure PTT doesnt do any fishy thing but i also witnessed by my own eyes that PTT stations in small very small places add some water in it... 

Edited by problemfarang

7 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

agree on E85 is giving really performance to car. I can feel that the car becomes a monster. BUT i really think E85 is a money trap. as you mentioned you chose performance but you have to pay actually more. the engine is just drinking it like a water. So actually you pay  more than you would pay to 95 or E20. Thats why im using 95. its perfect balance.

Not with the MG, and kpL was marginal difference between grades, for my driving habits.  As stated, MG was specifically designed (tuned) for E85, to maximize performance economically.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing as I used E85 and of course the price hike but it just "feels" like I am using it faster somehow.

I did do a test once and filled up with 95 instead and found that whilst I did get higher mielage, of course it cost more to do that.

There was not a big enough difference to warrant changing permanently, so reverted back to 85.

I always use the same PTT station

Honda City

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

In Brazil my 1l flex fuel VW got about 600kms on a tank of petrol (27% ethanol) but only about 450 on Alcool (100% Ethanol) not really 100% as they add something to stop people drinking it.

People would change the fuel according to the price difference an advantage with the flex set up, although performance was compromised by this.

The pumps would even give the percentage of price Álcool/Gasoline to help customers decide which fuel to use , 70 % was the factor IIRC.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not with the MG, and kpL was marginal difference between grades, for my driving habits.  As stated, MG was specifically designed (tuned) for E85, to maximize performance economically.

thats great. i would stay with E85 too..

For mazda cx30 all 3 (e20 95 and e85) can be used. No problem. But i must say car gives more when use 85. although i must buy it more often than 95 or E20.

1 minute ago, problemfarang said:

yes.. it seems you are having the same thing as me. Its like somethings wrong... for some reason im consuming more fuel than before... 

Yes, I was questioning this morning if ptt was mixing ? the fuel wrong or is the station adding water or something.  I am well almost sure they wouldn't.   but geez at 35.83 a liter , somethings wrong.  my car is only 3 years old 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

My Isuzu run OK on B20 but PTT have done away with it in our area they only have B10 and B7 and they are exactly the same price which I understand. 

20 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

if im not mistaken E85 is giving a great performance to the car. I can feel it. Although that means the car is just drinking it. using more than others which means i pay more actually.

i read lot about this and all experts say the same. yes performance but a no if you are not rich

Well then, you should ease off the pedal to get back to where you were then see about the costs, but if you were enjoying that bit of extra ummph, then it usually does hurt the wallet...????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Yes, I was questioning this morning if ptt was mixing ? the fuel wrong or is the station adding water or something.  I am well almost sure they wouldn't.   but geez at 35.83 a liter , somethings wrong.  my car is only 3 years old 2020.

Storage tanks sweeping water ? Old storage tanks ? My mind has been thinking what it could be.  Wife just says try a different place .....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

im pretty sure PTT doesnt do any fishy thing but i also witnessed by my own eyes that PTT stations in small very small places add some water in it... 

but yes, as you said i can feel and see that my fuel consumption is higher than before. 

i was thinking they might add/mix something to avoid global fuel shortage or something like this

That's what I'm thinking.

• Haha 1