Thais still unwilling to ditch their masks, says media, despite success of vax campaign

webfact

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Ha d to drop off a letter at the post office on Friday, nipped down on the bike

Walked in with my helmet on, got a nasty look and told to take my helmet off

Ok, no worries, took off my helmet, then told to put a mask on

so i must show my face by not wearing aa helmet, open vizor, but must put a mask on that covers most of my face 

crazy places

You will find Government offices, Post Offices, hospitals, schools, and malls being the last place that stop mask wearing.  Large crowds etc....read the posted Gazette new rules on Mask wearing.

People push or freedom of choice but now they have it seem to denied others like to criticize those who choose to continue wearing. I'm not Thai but glad they are starting to make decision to live with it that being said I believe regardless of vaccination covid is still present doing the simple thing like wearing a mask,  using alcohol and watching my hands have kept me and my family safe covid free I and family have decided we all will continue the same protocol. I'm headed to the States in two weeks I plan to wear the mask throughout my journey until I feel and decide it isn't necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I see two people who realise that masks keep the dust and bugs out of their lungs so they continue to wear them.

The comments about sheeple are ignorant. Thais are brought up to be deferential and polite. They wear masks out of politeness and also realise that they actually stop a lot of respiratory infections besides covid. Until covid is actually gone, they will continue to wear masks. Thais, unlike some foreigners, are not oblivious to rising levels of infection and potentially danger from BA4 and BA.5. They do actually have a functioning news service.

Well masks without helmets on bikes is rather absurd.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

His view on it being a heard mentality instead of his true understanding of why masks have always been worn is one issue he has wrong.  The mask removal posting also did not remove mask wearing 100%, and that is where people like the man producing the video are still trying to impose their own views.  When you do not look at the totality of the gazette postings, like schools still required, concert goers still required and Areas with large groups still required, people make the wrong assumption.....

It still seems difficult to say he is imposing anything, as long as he follows the established directives. Herd mentality? No. But would it be accurate to say "communal society?" Certainly most all of Asia is more communal in its orientation than is Western Europe or North America. And I don't see why a person needs to deny his origins in order to live in SE Asia. Adapt and follow Asian rules, customs, and laws, yes. But attempts at being just as Thai as the Thais seems destined to fail. And Thais will not accept it anyway. At any rate, I don't live in an expat enclave. I'm the only Westerner in my village and hardly ever see another one. Maybe places like Pattaya are where something of a culture war takes place. I don't know. I haven't even been into central Bangkok in two years.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Clearly not a sheeple mentality as the government announced they can now take them off. Going against that announcement shows they are simply risk averse. Also, I guess, they don't necessarily trust the government.

sheeply mentality also includes that people get used to a thing and just accept it. once that rule is lifted they just continue with it ,until some "leaders" stop it and they just follow. once 20-30% of people stop wearing mask, it will change rapidly. until then It`s going to be a tough process.

for example NO ONE in my condo gym in BKK wears a mask during their workout. however, I see the same people continue to wear a mask on the street. so it has NOTHING to do with being risk averse. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

Face it many many farangs despise the masks and have not been wearing them for a long time already and never will wear them again EVER...

And yes there are still some very vocal farang masker holdouts..

So not much middle ground with farangs..

Where as with the Thas the unmasking will be a slow process the as they watch the heard to make sure its ok to take the mask off........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpanishExpat said:

sheeply mentality also includes that people get used to a thing and just accept it. once that rule is lifted they just continue with it ,until some "leaders" stop it and they just follow. 

for example NO ONE in my condo gym in BKK wears a mask during their workout. however, I see the same people continue to wear a mask on the street. so it has NOTHING to do with being risk averse. 

You just said no one in your condo is a sheeple but others are. I guess you mean your condo is foreigners only. Hang on, that can't be right as foreigners can only own 49% of a condo. So, the Thais in your condo are NOT sheeple but others are.

Thais are very risk averse and don't necessarily believe the government (as you obviously do ;-)). They make up their own minds about their safety if the way to do it is a simple mask. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Wearing masks solo on MB's is kinda, borderline stupid.

What's stupid about wanting to stop dirt, soot and bugs from entering your lungs? That's clearly the reason why so many people continue to wear them on motorcycles having now gotten used to them. Surely, you don't imagine that they believe they will get covid riding a motorcycle solo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Where as with the Thas the unmasking will be a slow process the as they watch the heard to make sure its ok to take the mask off........

Hard to say, really. Again, as I said earlier, walking around my village this morning somewhere just below a third of everybody I saw out and about had no mask, including vendors on their carts. I went without a mask until I crossed the street and hit the 7 Eleven parking lot. But even as I was putting it on, maybe 10 - 15 Thais around me weren't wearing, not even on their chin. I'll bet there are a good number of Thais that will welcome not needing a mask while walking around in the open air.

Edited by John Drake

21 minutes ago, Purdey said:

You just said no one in your condo is a sheeple but others are. I guess you mean your condo is foreigners only. Hang on, that can't be right as foreigners can only own 49% of a condo. So, the Thais in your condo are NOT sheeple but others are.

Thais are very risk averse and don't necessarily believe the government (as you obviously do ;-)). They make up their own minds about their safety if the way to do it is a simple mask. 

and fyi...my wife and I live in a local area with just a few farang in our condo complex..so sorry to disappoint you!

but as you obviously don't get my point, it's useless. I know a few educated thai people who recently travelled to Europe and enjoyed their mask-free holidays there. Once back to Thailand = back to sheep mode. that has NOTHING to do with being risk averse. btw. it was NEVER mandatory per law to wear a mask outdoors. 

Edited by SpanishExpat

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Not knocking Thais here, but there is a bit of a sheeple mentality throughout Asia. Ditching their masks will be a slow process. ????

Maybe until they figure out the cost and environmental damage ,

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Ha d to drop off a letter at the post office on Friday, nipped down on the bike

Walked in with my helmet on, got a nasty look and told to take my helmet off

Ok, no worries, took off my helmet, then told to put a mask on

so i must show my face by not wearing aa helmet, open vizor, but must put a mask on that covers most of my face 

crazy places

What would happen if you walked wearing a helmet into PO in your home country?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Wearing masks solo on MB's is kinda, borderline stupid.

…not unless you want to protect your lungs from air pollution. COVID notwithstanding, mask wearing outside is a fairly intelligent habit in many Thai cities.  I lived in Chiang Mai for 16 years and on one occasion in March 2019 I played a golf game out at Highlands unmasked. The AQI was 220.  Stupid me, because I contracted a hacking cough that took me three to years to finally overcome.

• Like 1