Thais still unwilling to ditch their masks, says media, despite success of vax campaign

webfact

2 hours ago, FarAway said:

Everyone in the world have been made to feel the same fear. Just Asians react like that. Look to Africa or Eastern Europe, they do not give a <deleted>.

It goes beyond that. In 2015 I asked  my then gf why so many Thai people on BTS wore masks. Ans. : "They not want make other sick."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

…not unless you want to protect your lungs from air pollution. COVID notwithstanding, mask wearing outside is a fairly intelligent habit in many Thai cities.  I lived in Chiang Mai for 16 years and on one occasion in March 2019 I played a golf game out at Highlands unmasked. The AQI was 220.  Stupid me, because I contracted a hacking cough that took me three to years to finally overcome.

Before Covid there was no mask wearing in my area on Mb's, now there is even with the new rules.

• Like 2

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Before Covid there was no mask wearing in my area on Mb's, now there is even with the new rules.

The obvious conclusion is that having been forced to wear masks, many people now realise that wearing them while riding motorcycles is a good thing as it stops the dust and soot. There's no other plausible explanation why they continue to so so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:
3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I'm going to continue wearing mine in the uk.

I was in the UK last week and think you will be in the minority the only people I saw wearing masks were Asian students

I watched a 45 minute video walk filmed last week in Whitstable in Kent, England. Not a single person wore a mask out of the many hundreds, maybe thousands, that appeared. Same with an hour long video of people out for the evening in Soho. Thousands milling around and not a single mask. None. Yet the hospitals are not filled with Covid patients in ICU. Those that the virus was going to kill were killed by it long ago.

But, as I wrote in another thread, we'll now have the situation where most locals will continue to mask up - like my wife "to protect myself" - and most foreigners will not. The wearing of one has long been an Asian thing, and the pandemic has simply encouraged more of them to adopt the habit. Up to them if they want to feel uncomfortable. Now that the government is no longer making it mandatory (although it never was put in law) we foreigners can now 'walk free' with a clear conscience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, falang07 said:

I suppose you are fully vaccinated so what are you afraid of? And why did you get the vaccine if the first place if you do not trust it? I do not care if someone has a virus if I go out, this is how we get the immunity trained all the way from childhood. 

The other way would be to live our lives in a sterile environment, and then die upon first contact with any germ. I do not want that.

Funny you should say that as I need to get a booster shot and I am of 2 minds. One just go get it or two wait for the new and improved ones coming in the USA. Some I hear are 10 times more effective on Omicron. I really don't want to be anyone's pin cousin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinci said:

they don't talk about it doesn't mean its over, its still spreading like wildflowers, wearing a mask is not going to harm anybody, if a doctor and nurse can breath through it so can anybody, but i know what can kill you, hey you do you and good luck

I do slip mine down now when taking my Constitutional, but back it goes when near others. COPD, asthma and a few MIs make me err on the side of caution, and the thought I might have something to pass on that hasn't killed me just yet.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I watched a 45 minute video walk filmed last week in Whitstable in Kent, England. Not a single person wore a mask out of the many hundreds, maybe thousands, that appeared. Same with an hour long video of people out for the evening in Soho. Thousands milling around and not a single mask. None. Yet the hospitals are not filled with Covid patients in ICU. Those that the virus was going to kill were killed by it long ago.

But, as I wrote in another thread, we'll now have the situation where most locals will continue to mask up - like my wife "to protect myself" - and most foreigners will not. The wearing of one has long been an Asian thing, and the pandemic has simply encouraged more of them to adopt the habit. Up to them if they want to feel uncomfortable. Now that the government is no longer making it mandatory (although it never was put in law) we foreigners can now 'walk free' with a clear conscience.

If people don't want to wear a mask, that is none of my concern. I however, choose to wear one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The obvious conclusion is that having been forced to wear masks, many people now realise that wearing them while riding motorcycles is a good thing as it stops the dust and soot. There's no other plausible explanation why they continue to so so.

Yes there is another explanation, not saying it's realistic. 

7 minutes ago, StealthComms said:

What would u expect from a nation that believes in ghosts, pray to banana trees for lottery numbers etc.

Thais are obidiend and they were conditioned and scared by media info warfare.

I offten see Thais double masked common sight here.

As well Thais that when they face me they immediately tighten that metal rode in mask around nose, involuntarily. Like there is no hole for COVID to get in common too. Body lang.

I am not so sure about that, wearing a crash helmet is the law, folk shouldn't give bike keys to their kids to get killed on, but they do.  ????

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I am not so sure about that, wearing a crash helmet is the law, folk shouldn't give bike keys to their kids to get killed on, but they do.  ????

In other countries they let their kids have guns to go shoot other kids. No need to bash Thais. No single country has a monopoly on common sense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Archie Baker said:

For the man in the video:- Thais follow the law! look around you mate your in Gaga land. 

A lot of Thais want to wear mask so what!  If you don't like it then pack up and go back to England...

@Archie Baker Thais follow the law.... the majority dont wear a helmet or wear a seatbelt and they are laws. 

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I will still wear mine in public for a while yet, for my own protection, but, the main purpose of the mask is for other people's protection. If you know you are carrying the COVID-19 virus or having some symptoms, I encourage you to wear one also.

You got the point. I was so happy with my clean face until about a week ago, I started to have some symptoms, self tested and bingo! Positive for Covid. Then I started to wear a mask again, of course. The virus is now considered endemic in many parts of the world, that means it's still circulating, people are still getting infected. The strains now are more contagious and weaker. Anyone dreaming that the pandemic is over is in for a surprise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Ha d to drop off a letter at the post office on Friday, nipped down on the bike

Walked in with my helmet on, got a nasty look and told to take my helmet off

Ok, no worries, took off my helmet, then told to put a mask on

so i must show my face by not wearing aa helmet, open vizor, but must put a mask on that covers most of my face 

crazy places

You do not wear a crash helmet in a bank, all bank staff wear a mask.

Seems you were shown up twice....????

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In other countries they let their kids have guns to go shoot other kids. No need to bash Thais. No single country has a monopoly on common sense.

I am loathe to say it, ashamed of my own homeland, but you are too right!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Not knocking Thais here, but there is a bit of a sheeple mentality throughout Asia. Ditching their masks will be a slow process. ????

Don't generalise about a continent as large as Asia. In India no one's wearing...

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Who's bashing Thai's, I was replying to another post with a FACT....????

Very few people own legal guns in LOS, because of the laws here.

But if you think there are no guns in LOS, you would be mistaken....

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Why on earth the disparaging comments made about your hosts?

The Thais manage their country just fine without your input.

LOL!! I just said many Thai people (not all) are very easy to influence/ adapt a “follow the leader” culture and have a hard time to take own decisions!  Even I wrote it in an offensive way it is the simple truth!! That’s exactly why the elite can do whatever they want in this country. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SpanishExpat said:

LOL!! I just said many Thai people (not all) are very easy to influence/ adapt a “follow the leader” culture and have a hard time to take own decisions!  Even I wrote it in an offensive way it is the simply truth!! That’s why the elite can do whatever they want in this country.

It's not the truth in Thailand any more than it is in any other country. Do you think people in different countries are really all that different? If you think they have a subservient culture then put up some links to justify your argument, otherwise it's just more stereotyping.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Haven't you all been lucky, please tell us if your family's luck changes, won't you, eh.?...????

Yeh must be immortals invincible

Our luck won't change at this point cuz we did everything opposite what we were told, we should be dead by now. Yet we going strong.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I think it's incredibly stupid to conflate these issues and to imagine that Thais are not sophisticated enough to understand their media.

ahhhhhh. for the most part they are not sophisticated enough. to no fault of their own i may add. hundreds of years of military rule and control etc. you end up with a population that doesn't think too much. a population with very little critical thinking or as its put outside the box thinking. this is the way those in control want it.  this is evident by the state of the country.