You're from where ...

That should read 39 smaller than UK ????

11 states larger ... ????

Only Russia & Ukraine (EU) are larger than Texas.  So yes, many states are the size of countries.

image.png.4eefafe79de697584185019dba3ab4de.png

https://www.thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTUxNzU5NDU.NTU5NTk4MQ*MzA4ODM3NjA(NjYwODM2OQ~!CONTIGUOUS_US*MTAwMjQwNzU.MjUwMjM1MTc(MTc1)MQ~!IN*NTI2NDA1MQ.Nzg2MzQyMQ)Mg~!CN*OTkyMTY5Nw.NzMxNDcwNQ(MjI1)MA

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I'm from Staten Island, one of the most rightfully ridiculed places on earth. Check out the Pete Davidson film for confirmation.

Now re-famous for giving Guiliani a playful thump on the back in a supermarket. But it was Staten Island that got him elected mayor in the first place. A white riot uprising against the former black mayor who had the nerve to play tennis and be otherwise "out of touch".

Due to residency requirements, many, many police live there, which is a mixed blessing indeed (hence, the Guiliani victory). John Gotti, super-mobster, had a palatial estate on SI too, so a pretty cheerful place if you liked the film, GoodFella's. Note to mob film fans: avoid the Travolta/Gotti film at all costs.

Certainly the best pizza and garlic-laden red sauce-Italian food in the world, but worth the ferry ride? No.

If I meet a person from another you know what-hole like Blackpool, I just tell them to relax.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

States are like countries, pfffff.

Ha! Ironically, currently some in the USA seem to be wanting 50 equal, sovereign states rather than a nation. Easier to control that way ... Sadly, they did not know we already tried this under the Articles of Confederation and the failed claim attempt under the Confederate States of America.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That should read 39 smaller than UK ????

11 states larger ... ????

Only Russia & Ukraine (EU) are larger than Texas.  So yes, many states are the size of countries.

image.png.4eefafe79de697584185019dba3ab4de.png

https://www.thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTUxNzU5NDU.NTU5NTk4MQ*MzA4ODM3NjA(NjYwODM2OQ~!CONTIGUOUS_US*MTAwMjQwNzU.MjUwMjM1MTc(MTc1)MQ~!IN*NTI2NDA1MQ.Nzg2MzQyMQ)Mg~!CN*OTkyMTY5Nw.NzMxNDcwNQ(MjI1)MA

So, referring to geography rather than, say population. Not questioning just seeking clarification as to measurement used in comparison.

3 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Ha! Ironically, currently some in the USA seem to be wanting 50 equal, sovereign states rather than a nation. Easier to control that way ... Sadly, they did not know we already tried this under the Articles of Confederation and the failed claim attempt under the Confederate States of America.

People do learn from their mistakes.  The Republic has been going strong for 235 yrs, minus 1 major speed bump.  Not bad at all for a country that's only 246 yrs old.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jerno said:

What or who's a "y'all" ?  Don't think there's many hillbillies on this site, ya hoo. 

I figure I am bi-lingual. I can use both, "youse guys" and "y'all". Note ... y'all or you all in American Southern usage not limited to mountain folk (aka "Hillbillies").

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

So, referring to geography rather than, say population. Not questioning just seeking clarification as to measurement used in comparison.

Just stating, considering the size of some countries, living in different parts of the USA, is similar living in another country (aside from same language) in EU, if going same distance.  Away from family & friends aspect, and all that was once familiar.

Philly to FL was 1800 kms from my home town.  If going to Key West from Maine, or E to W coast, a wee bit further.

1500-2000 kms, from central EU, and you can cover almost all of the EU in that distance, except up to the Scandinavian countries & Russia.

So yes, living in Philly suburbs, and moving to FL, like moving to opposite ends of the EU.  E to W coast USA, where a few friend went to, for that Cali vide, that's 4500 kms away.  That's not even considering Hawaii or Alaska.

I stayed in USA, as I see others bounced around internationally, quite a bit.

My work kept me local, East side of Mississippi River, as being ignorant of the advantages of working outside the USA.  Not really the family or social bug, would have been easy for me.

Friends and family thought I was a bit goofy just moving the short distances I did, and couldn't grasp me living away from hometown area.  I was the opposite, and couldn't grasp staying in hometown area.  I get bored quick.

An issue I have with Thailand, since small, but apparently too lazy and not that concerned to uproot again.  Beside, having a daughter, I can understand now why some don't move around.  As little actual time we are together, just something about being a few hours away if I'm needed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I figure I am bi-lingual. I can use both, "youse guys" and "y'all". Note ... y'all or you all in American Southern usage not limited to mountain folk (aka "Hillbillies").

Also if you grew up in a mixed racial neighborhood (white/black), them good ol' boys that migrated N after that speed bump, brought some of that dialect with them, abet, losing the southern draw along the way.

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

When people ask "where are you from?" I usually answer "Buriram"

What they really want to know is "What is your nationality?"

With you there , love winding folk up.  ' Where you from ? '  Maechan.   ' No before that '.  Oh that would be Hua Hin. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

When people ask "where are you from?" I usually answer "Buriram"

What they really want to know is "What is your nationality?"

A twist of that.

I've had Thai PR for 25 years.

A number of times I've been asked 'where are you from?'

I answer 'Chiang Mai with my Thai family' and sometimes continue 'I have Thai PR, for lifetime.

Response a few times 'Yes you live now with your family in Chiang but when will you go home?'

My Thai son loves to get into this conversation, especially with his Thai wives' siblings.

'But when will he go home to xxxxx?'

Son 'He is home'.

Son shows my PR book (sometimes).

Sons' loud domineering sister in law 'no, that book must be for another country'.

Son 'It's all written in Thai'.

Sons' sister in law 'people in every county can write in Thai.'

One of his in l

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Apha setti 3 , 40 years, Vulcan 35 years, crusing the Antara Nebula 5 years, Earth 44 years. ???? hoping to depart in the next 20 years to a Galaxy far far away to join the rebellion.

Live Long Prosper GIF - Live Long Prosper Startrek - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I'm from a place where one never asks "Where are you from?"

The most banal question in the history of conversation. 

No.  It's Are you English?  As though it's the only English speaking country.  When the answer is a terse No, we then go around the British Isles.