How long should I wait to take antibiotics again?

Aina24

On 6/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, Lacessit said:

Antibiotics suppress the immune system. Through over-prescription, they are increasingly losing effectiveness against the serious stuff such as MRSA.

I assume you heard about the antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea in Cambodia. Personally, I only take them when absolutely needed. The rest of the time, I throw them out, and let my immune system do the heavy lifting.

doesn't major oral surgery constitute necessity?

On 6/30/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lacessit said:

I've found Thai doctors distribute antibiotics like candy, on the basic assumption anything they do is inevitably followed by infection. I have a cystoscopy every six months, and my urologist in Chiang Mai does the same. I've been throwing out the antibiotics I get for three years now, and I am still here.

If your surgeon is following sterile procedure, antibiotics should be unnecessary. I suspect it is more CYA.

Here's a suggestion: After your operation, don't take the antibiotics unless you feel unwell. Buy a clinical thermometer. If your temperature stays normal, it's very unlikely you will have an infection.

What astonishes me is that you are willing to hold up your own personal experience as a template for others and offer actual medical recommendations.

Due you stand by your treatment plan enough to put up a bond to cover the OP's treatment on the off chance you are wrong?

Just now, dingdongrb said:

Demerol is available in tablet (pill) form.

Yes but I think what he was referring to, was as sedation for extraction of wisdom teeth (which I also had done under Demerol some 40+ years ago).

Most dental clinics will not prescribe any sort of opiate for use after extraction as they do not usually hold the requisite narcotic license.  NSAIDs and tramadol are the most one is likely to get. Dental clinics in hospitals can, if the dentist so chooses, prescribe an opoid but they usually do not. Doctors here are unusually  reluctant to prescribe opoids for outpatient use.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

What astonishes me is that you are willing to hold up your own personal experience as a template for others and offer actual medical recommendations.

Due you stand by your treatment plan enough to put up a bond to cover the OP's treatment on the off chance you are wrong?

. Everyone is different, and it's the OP's choice what he wants to do.

I did suggest holding off on the antibiotics until he runs a temperature, if you can point me to an infection where a temperature rise does not occur, I would be most interested.

What works for me may not necessarily work for others, it depends on their fitness levels and diet. Most posters are capable of comprehending over-use of antibiotics contributes to bacterial resistance, perhaps you cannot.

• 1 month later...

You do not need post op antibiotics for wisdom tooth extraction. They will not help, unless you get an actual infection, as opposed to a dry socket. (Which you nearly always get with a lower 8!). Dentists giving Abs. after extractions have been one of the causes of resistance. But of course, it's dentists covering their <deleted> and patient expectations that drive this. And I know; I've taken out hundreds of impacted wisdom teeth.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, Aina24 said:

To be honest the MAIN reason I've been concerned is because the 1st round of meds was prescribed by an incompetent doctor. I consumed 6 days of Clindamycin before the abscess was even cut open, which I find out laterr I'm supporse to only take ONCE the abscess has been drained! Yes, I went to a local hospital and he took less than 2 mins to examine me... thats why I was given a 2nd round by another physician who prescribed me the 2nd course after drainage of the abscesss.....I apologize for freaking out, but its no joking matter... zzzz

Never give antibiotics until you've drained the pus.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, ukrules said:

Pretty much the only times I've taken antibiotics over the last decade has been related to tooth issues and even then it's not the actual tooth you're treating but some kind of gum infection.

Amoxicillin for a week normally does it. For tooth issues the Thai dosage is 2x500mg twice a day, back in the UK it would be 1x500mg three times a day - I have no idea why they use a different dosage in different places.

I had a 'deep filling' in one of my teeth a few months back and the Dentist told me he could see the nerve, it was exposed to the air and there's a very good chance it will become infected in which case I will probably need a root canal and to get back in touch if there's any problems, he said nothing about taking preventative antibiotics to put a stop to that process ????

But I bought some anyway and took them for a few weeks - no problem in the end.

If I were you I would take the Amoxicillin as a precaution - just like I did with the above exposed nerve and I would see no reason to wait at all - and I'd take them regardless of what the Dentist says.

Dangerous and completely wrong advice! Keep your ignorance to yourself.

I think your fear of taking antibiotics is prudent especially here in Thailand.

To this end, you don't need antibiotics to follow a tooth beingpbpulled. All you need is ibuprofen. I would recommend the 600 mg tablets by a strip - or two.

You only need antibiotics when you have an infection and if the tooth is pulled and there's no infection then you don't need the <deleted> antibiotic.

You can and should treat the area with peroxide and gargle with mouthwash often. Keep it clean and as dry as possible.

Where are you planning on having the extraction done if I might ask?? I have a back tooth giving me problems ... Apparently failed root canal. Mild infection won't resolve.

Edited by BonMot

On 6/30/2022 at 7:04 PM, Aina24 said:

May I ask how many times have you taken Amoxicillian and for how long? Hmmm, so many mixed opinions here. I know realistically as a safety precaution to decrease chances of infection sometimes the surgeon will indeed recommend them. HOWEVER my ONLY concern is that I had recently consumed alot, otherwise actually I wouldn't be worried at all. I don't want to risk making another mistake due to the 1st doctors incompetence that I saw. This has somewhat kinda put me at ease! I appreciate your kind response.....

I believe you are being unduly concerned about your position with regards to antibiotics.

Firstly clindamycin is a powerful broad-spectrum antibiotic and it would seem as if you were prescribed it when it wasn't necessary.

As regards taking antibiotics long-term, well I was one person who had to do that over many years, taking doxycycline for three months at a time, before stopping and then having to start again because my prostatitis would clear up and then flareup again, and altogether I probably took that antibiotic for nigh on 10 years??

Amoxicillin or its extended spectrum version with clavulanic acid, Augmentin, is a useful antibiotic, and is sometimes given by dentists (yes I know as I have a couple of friends who are dentists back in NZ) on a prophylactic basis, i.e. given on the day of major dental work, sometimes a day before, and lasting for no more than three days, and that's it.

What you have already taken, and what you could be about to take with regards to your dental procedure, should do you no harm whatsoever, and your gut microbiome will soon recover, even if it is undamaged with such a short dose.

I will say now that the "science" behind probiotics and being used to help the gut microbiome is sketchy to say the least and any number of papers written on it will have a different viewpoint.

Take the antibiotics and don't worry about what you had previously, and what may be given to you for your dental treatment.

4 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

It is for a course of antibiotics!

Wrong information!

The time length of the prescribed antibiotics should reflect the bacteria involved or the site of infection.

I had a Mycobacterial infection that required antibiotic therapy for 5 months.

I was a veterinarian in my previous life(!) and many infections I treated in my patients required medication for 3 to 4 weeks, though the bulk of my patients received 5 days of treatment.  

The OPs’ fear or reluctance to take antibiotics is IMO unfounded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

Wrong information!

The time length of the prescribed antibiotics should reflect the bacteria involved or the site of infection.

I had a Mycobacterial infection that required antibiotic therapy for 5 months.

I was a veterinarian in my previous life(!) and many infections I treated in my patients required medication for 3 to 4 weeks, though the bulk of my patients received 5 days of treatment.  

The OPs’ fear or reluctance to take antibiotics is IMO unfounded.

Agree. Or at least, excessive. 

There is no specific time period that should be waited before taking antibiotics.  In any given situation either they are necessary ( which case delay is dangerous) or they are  not  (in which case they shouldn't be taken).

And duration should depend on the underlying condition and drug.  

• Like 1

Try to avoid any class of ototoxic antibiotics. They can cause tinnitus, as well as other maladies, and once you get tinnitus, it can be permanent. I speak from experience. Got it from antibiotics, for an ear infection. Not worth it. I wouldn't wish the condition of my worst enemy. Well, maybe. LOL. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Try to avoid any class of ototoxic antibiotics. They can cause tinnitus, as well as other maladies, and once you get tinnitus, it can be permanent. I speak from experience. Got it from antibiotics, for an ear infection. Not worth it. I wouldn't wish the condition of my worst enemy. Well, maybe. LOL. 

Interesting. I was hit by a car when aged 15. I bled from the ear and subsequently got a severe ear infection.   I've had tinnitus ever since. I always put it down to the accident but I guess I must have had antibiotics at the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Apparently cardiovascular disease can cause tinnitus, who knew