How long should I wait to take antibiotics again?

Aina24

Hey guys! Some of yall remember me from my "abscess" post where I was concerened about taking tooo many antibiotics! That was definitely a gruelling 18 days of continuous medication but thankfully it cleared up the infection nicely and I feel well... By the way, I took Augmentin and Clindamycin during this period and they were strong ones too! (Honestly, I'm still a little concerned).

I will need to get my wisdom tooth extracted soon both left/right bottom ones and I GUARRANTEE the oral surgeon will require me to take more antibiotics, but since I was on such a long regime recently, I'm afraid of becoming somewhat resistant this time and the meds won't be as effectively, and plus my gut flora isssss probably not doing good..

My question, Since I'm in no rush to get them extracted right away, how long should I wait before it would be safe for me to start another course of antibiotics provided the surgeon requires me to do so? I mean, I will postpone seeing the dentist until then and use this time to build up my gut flora and try to get my health back to normal... note, its been one month since my last dose!

Edited by Aina24

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Your irrational and baseless fear of antibiotics is more of a risk to your health than anything else. 

To be honest the MAIN reason I've been concerned is because the 1st round of meds was prescribed by an incompetent doctor. I consumed 6 days of Clindamycin before the abscess was even cut open, which I find out laterr I'm supporse to only take ONCE the abscess has been drained! Yes, I went to a local hospital and he took less than 2 mins to examine me... thats why I was given a 2nd round by another physician who prescribed me the 2nd course after drainage of the abscesss.....I apologize for freaking out, but its no joking matter... zzzz

4 minutes ago, Aina24 said:

To be honest the MAIN reason I've been concerned is because the 1st round of meds was prescribed by an incompetent doctor. I consumed 6 days of Clindamycin before the abscess was even cut open, which I find out laterr I'm supporse to only take ONCE the abscess has been drained! Yes, I went to a local hospital and he took less than 2 mins to examine me... thats why I was given a 2nd round by another physician who prescribed me the 2nd course after drainage of the abscesss.....I apologize for freaking out, but its no joking matter... zzzz

If you live in the tropics, expect to take antibiotics 3-4x a year or risk a nasty death. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you live in the tropics, expect to take antibiotics 3-4x a year or risk a nasty death. 

The last time I took an antibiotic was in 2019, doxycycline. I am quite convinced it caused a recurrence of my bladder cancer.

As I have not taken an antibiotic since then, I can only conclude your lifestyle is a fair bit riskier than mine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You seem to have the misconception that 18 days is a long time - it's not.

That's true for certain infections and low dosage.. I'm just a little concerned, that's why I'm here writing this post..

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Antibiotics suppress the immune system. Through over-prescription, they are increasingly losing effectiveness against the serious stuff such as MRSA.

I assume you heard about the antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea in Cambodia. Personally, I only take them when absolutely needed. The rest of the time, I throw them out, and let my immune system do the heavy lifting.

Hence my concern. I don't think my initial post was me simply being over paranoid. 

11 minutes ago, Aina24 said:

That's true for certain infections and low dosage.. I'm just a little concerned, that's why I'm here writing this post..

Pretty much the only times I've taken antibiotics over the last decade has been related to tooth issues and even then it's not the actual tooth you're treating but some kind of gum infection.

Amoxicillin for a week normally does it. For tooth issues the Thai dosage is 2x500mg twice a day, back in the UK it would be 1x500mg three times a day - I have no idea why they use a different dosage in different places.

I had a 'deep filling' in one of my teeth a few months back and the Dentist told me he could see the nerve, it was exposed to the air and there's a very good chance it will become infected in which case I will probably need a root canal and to get back in touch if there's any problems, he said nothing about taking preventative antibiotics to put a stop to that process ????

But I bought some anyway and took them for a few weeks - no problem in the end.

If I were you I would take the Amoxicillin as a precaution - just like I did with the above exposed nerve and I would see no reason to wait at all - and I'd take them regardless of what the Dentist says.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Aina24 said:

I've found Thai doctors distribute antibiotics like candy, on the basic assumption anything they do is inevitably followed by infection. I have a cystoscopy every six months, and my urologist in Chiang Mai does the same. I've been throwing out the antibiotics I get for three years now, and I am still here.

If your surgeon is following sterile procedure, antibiotics should be unnecessary. I suspect it is more CYA.

Here's a suggestion: After your operation, don't take the antibiotics unless you feel unwell. Buy a clinical thermometer. If your temperature stays normal, it's very unlikely you will have an infection.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Pretty much the only times I've taken antibiotics over the last decade has been related to tooth issues and even then it's not the actual tooth you're treating but some kind of gum infection.

Amoxicillin for a week normally does it. For tooth issues the Thai dosage is 2x500mg twice a day, back in the UK it would be 1x500mg three times a day - I have no idea why they use a different dosage in different places.

I had a 'deep filling' in one of my teeth a few months back and the Dentist told me he could see the nerve, it was exposed to the air and there's a very good chance it will become infected in which case I will probably need a root canal and to get back in touch if there's any problems, he said nothing about taking preventative antibiotics to put a stop to that process ????

But I bought some anyway and took them for a few weeks - no problem in the end.

If I were you I would take the Amoxicillin as a precaution - just like I did with the above exposed nerve and I would see no reason to wait at all - and I'd take them regardless of what the Dentist says.

May I ask how many times have you taken Amoxicillian and for how long? Hmmm, so many mixed opinions here. I know realistically as a safety precaution to decrease chances of infection sometimes the surgeon will indeed recommend them. HOWEVER my ONLY concern is that I had recently consumed alot, otherwise actually I wouldn't be worried at all. I don't want to risk making another mistake due to the 1st doctors incompetence that I saw. This has somewhat kinda put me at ease! I appreciate your kind response.....

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've found Thai doctors distribute antibiotics like candy, on the basic assumption anything they do is inevitably followed by infection. I have a cystoscopy every six months, and my urologist in Chiang Mai does the same. I've been throwing out the antibiotics I get for three years now, and I am still here.

If your surgeon is following sterile procedure, antibiotics should be unnecessary. I suspect it is more CYA.

Here's a suggestion: After your operation, don't take the antibiotics unless you feel unwell. Buy a clinical thermometer. If your temperature stays normal, it's very unlikely you will have an infection.

See this is where I've been getting mixed opinions. Some people say don't take them and others suggest I do as a precaution! Technically, the meds should only be administered if signs of infection are current ... and post OP the dentist cant tell usually due to swelling.. Your reason is justified, I might have to buy a thermometer.... or just take the meds ahhh..

On 6/30/2022 at 6:14 AM, Aina24 said:

See this is where I've been getting mixed opinions. Some people say don't take them and others suggest I do as a precaution! Technically, the meds should only be administered if signs of infection are current ... and post OP the dentist cant tell usually due to swelling.. Your reason is justified, I might have to buy a thermometer.... or just take the meds ahhh..

Purely anecdotal, but I had my 3 remaining wisdom teeth removed last month and all I took was some Advil for pain for the first couple of days. Top 2 were a breeze but I had a days worth of bleeding on the one bottom one. YMMV.

Very glad that it's a one time thing

I'm 64 for what it's worth. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Purely anecdotal, but I had my 3 remaining wisdom teeth removed last month and all I took was some Advil for pain for the first couple of days. Top 2 were a breeze but I had a days worth of bleeding on the one bottom one. YMMV.

Very glad that it's a one time thing

I'm 64 for what it's worth. 

I really appreciate this comment! Honestly made me feel less stressed now. Well I'm 33 y/o and need my bottom 2 taken out, so I should have no worries. But the crown on both sides have broken covered by gum, I believe my extraction might be a little more complex. Did the surgeon suggest you take antibiotics or you simply refused? Did he put you under or were you awake? Also, can you recommend me any reputable clinics? Money isn't a factor, I'd prefer the best treatment avaible! Thank you ????

Edited by Aina24

4 hours ago, Aina24 said:

I really appreciate this comment! Honestly made me feel less stressed now. Well I'm 33 y/o and need my bottom 2 taken out, so I should have no worries. But the crown on both sides have broken covered by gum, I believe my extraction might be a little more complex. Did the surgeon suggest you take antibiotics or you simply refused? Did he put you under or were you awake? Also, can you recommend me any reputable clinics? Money isn't a factor, I'd prefer the best treatment avaible! Thank you ????

if you want recommendatiuons for dental clinics, please indicate where in Thailand you are

On 7/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, Aina24 said:

Bangkok ????

If you want to be "put under"  for the procedure, your best bet is the dental clinic of any of the major hospitals. Most clinics will only do this under local.

If you are OK with local anesthetic, then frequently recommended dental clinics in BKK include:

http://www.dentalhospitalbangkok.com/

https://bangkokdentalcenter.com/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

i  had a chest infection which needed 3 lots of antbiotics which was very difficult to get rid of ,,affected my guts for a long time

What antibiotics did you take? How many days and what was the infection? Sorry, I'm just curious. Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you are well now though 

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you want to be "put under"  for the procedure, your best bet is the dental clinic of any of the major hospitals. Most clinics will only do this under local.

If you are OK with local anesthetic, then frequently recommended dental clinics in BKK include:

I definetly and most certainly would need to be knocked out 555. As I mentioned money isn't an issue. Also, if someone who has done extensive work and knows an oral surgeon, any recomendations would be even better! Thank you, i'll check those links out.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Wow! That Bangkok dental center looks absolutely amazing. Good vibes already from the website! Thanks for the recommendation by the way. Kob khun ka.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am wondering if any of the dental clinics here use Demerol. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was about 10 yo, I can still remember being as high as a kite on that drug.

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am wondering if any of the dental clinics here use Demerol. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was about 10 yo, I can still remember being as high as a kite on that drug.

AFAIK, no. None of them use IV sedation of any type.

Hospitals might though these days more likely to use propofol than an opiate for IV sedation. But they could.

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

AFAIK, no. None of them use IV sedation of any type.

Hospitals might though these days more likely to use propofol than an opiate for IV sedation. But they could.

Demerol is available in tablet (pill) form.