O-A Visa from home country

Hi and thanks,

My friend is looking to stay in Thailand for about 9 months starting in September. I suggested obtaining the multi-entry Non O-A visa in the US (DC embassy) but there is little information as to what has to be done after he enters Thailand, if any. To make matters worse, the consulates around the US don't have the same info. For example, the Chicago consulate makes no mention of 800K in the bank and instead of 100K USD health insurance, you need to show 400K / 40K THB health insurance. (I can't believe that standards are are so different from state-to-state). I have read that you have to pay attention to how much you have in the account prior and after obtaining the visa. If he doesn't want to extend it after his first year and chooses to reapply every year, can he just ignore the minimum banked amount or do they check when you go in to report every 90 days? He doesn't want to put money in a Thai bank, hence doing the visa here. Is it easier to do it inside Thailand ? I'd appreciate your thoughts, and thanks, as always.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/oalongstay/

After applying for and getting a Non-OA visa you do not need proof of insurance or anything else for a year other than proof of insurance when entering the country.

A OA visa is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for one year from the day it is issued. It is possible to get a total stay of almost 2 years from it by entering the country just before the visa expires,

• Like 1

your friend only needs to keep proof of insurance handy on entry like UJ said, then they will need to do a TM30 report to local immigration within 24 hours if they stay at a private residence, (hotels and guest houses do that for people). They will also be required to do a 90 day report to local immigration every 90 days. The 90 day report can be done online.

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

After applying for and getting a Non-OA visa you do not need proof of insurance or anything else for a year other than proof of insurance when entering the country.

A OA visa is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for one year from the day it is issued. It is possible to get a total stay of almost 2 years from it by entering the country just before the visa expires,

On 7/2/2022 at 9:11 PM, DrJack54 said:

Did he consider a METV. 

On 7/2/2022 at 10:15 PM, Lee4Life said:

your friend only needs to keep proof of insurance handy on entry like UJ said, then they will need to do a TM30 report to local immigration within 24 hours if they stay at a private residence, (hotels and guest houses do that for people). They will also be required to do a 90 day report to local immigration every 90 days. The 90 day report can be done online.

Thank you all three! It's a very simple procedure, much more so than I thought. I may even consider it myself since the funds can be in a US bank.

DrJack, he doesn't want to have to leave the country unless he really needs to. Thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

Recommend you use Thailand’s official online site for correct info: https://thaievisa.go.th

For Non O-A requirements: https://thaievisa.go.th/long-stay-visa

Attention : From 1 July 2022, proof of quarantine hotel/hospital booking is no longer required. Health insurance(s) are required only for Special Tourist Visa (STV), and Long-Stay Visas (Non-Immigration 0A and OX) applications.

8E2799BF-C847-4AD0-981F-2511693E02DA.jpeg

• Like 1