Get e-visa when out of the UK

38 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

It is interesting that it appears no one knows the answer to this question.

I will bump your thread as no replies.

I'm of no assistance as have not been through the e-visa process.

I assume the flight into Thailand would be part of that process. 

One issue could be that the flight is not originating from the UK.

Hopefully better advice will follow. 

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

One issue could be that the flight is not originating from the UK.

Yes that's the main issue that I would like answered.

It will make getting a visa (60 Day) so much easier when already travelling and then decide to go to Thailand. Rather than hunt for an embassy ... Just get an e-visa from the country that you reside in.

7 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

Rather than hunt for an embassy ...

I understand your plan but my guess is the flights will be a concern.

It's not helping your question but going bit left field I can recommend Saigon as a great place to visit and good Thai consulate a bonus. 

You could consider a side trip there for R&R and a Thai visa.

Bonus is UK do not require visa for Vietnam. 

• Like 2

This seems to be as clear as mud, as the eVisa site has just ONE field to select the country for "Permanent Residency / Current Location".

If your current location at the time you apply is NOT where you're usually residing, whichever country you select there is wrong in one way or another.

I've seen reports from people who have successfully applied for an eVisa in such a situation. It probably depends on the individual embassy, and specifically, on whether they'll accept a flight ticket that originates in another country.

24 minutes ago, Caldera said:

eVisa site has just ONE field to select the country for "Permanent Residency / Current Location"

I'll apply for a 60 day visa sometime next week and see if it works since my "Permanent Residence" is in the UK.

I'll post here if accepted or not.

• Thanks 1

While I have not done so myself, there have been reports of successful applications by UK passport holders who are not in the UK. In at least one case, the application was made from Thailand prior to travel out of Thailand and back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

While I have not done so myself, there have been reports of successful applications by UK passport holders who are not in the UK. In at least one case, the application was made from Thailand prior to travel out of Thailand and back.

Nothing to stop you applying as it’s all done online now.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:34 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

Nothing to stop you applying as it’s all done online now.

Certainly, there is nothing to prevent an application, and it seems applications have so far been successful. This does not mean the embassy will not, at some point, begin to deny some applications that clearly come from people who are not in the UK. Indeed, I expect a crackdown. It is likely to become common for people to try to stay indefinitely as tourists via serial applications for fresh tourist visas while in Thailand, combined with in/out border runs. I do not think the authorities will tolerate this for long.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Certainly, there is nothing to prevent an application, and it seems applications have so far been successful. This does not mean the embassy will not, at some point, begin to deny some applications that clearly come from people who are not in the UK. Indeed, I expect a crackdown.

Not sure why somebody would go through all the trouble of applying for tourist visa on the e visa site and then having to leave and re-enter Thailand to use it now that the land borders are open it would be easy to make a trip to a nearby embassy (Vientiane for example) and apply for it there. Apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

• Like 2

Slightly different situation to you but I recently applied for an e-visa (education) from the Thai embassy in London whilst already in Thailand (on a tourist visa).  I will be travelling back to London shortly and then entering on the new visa a few weeks later.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, novster said:

Slightly different situation to you but I recently applied for an e-visa (education) from the Thai embassy in London whilst already in Thailand (on a tourist visa).  I will be travelling back to London shortly and then entering on the new visa a few weeks later.

I think the thread is more about obtaining the eVisa say in London but then entering thailand from some other country.

For example obtain an e-visa from London while you are in say Saigon and using the eVisa to enter Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why somebody would go through all the trouble of applying for tourist visa on the e visa site and then having to leave and re-enter Thailand to use it now that the land borders are open it would be easy to make a trip to a nearby embassy (Vientiane for example) and apply for it there. Apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

In my opinion, a same day quick in/out, not requiring overnight stays (even assuming Vientiane or Savannakhet is the closest border) will be attractive to many. That is without considering the limits that embassies/consulates in the region place on multiple tourist visa applications. I am not attempting to be a long stay tourist but, if I was, this would be a part of my toolkit, replacing the unlimited border bounces for visa exempt entry that were attractive before being stopped.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In my opinion, a same day quick in/out, not requiring overnight stays (even assuming Vientiane or Savannakhet is the closest border) will be attractive to many.

I wrote that due reading many post about people having problems with e visa site.

Plus the cost of needing a ticket in and out of the country when doing the application.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, greenblue14 said:

I'll apply for a 60 day visa sometime next week and see if it works since my "Permanent Residence" is in the UK.

I'll post here if accepted or not.

So what happened?

• Haha 1

Ye any update?

I am also thinking of doing this, as I am in Thailand now, and will go on holiday for a few days next month, probably Danang. 

As there is no embassy there in Danang, if I could get a UK evisa (60 days) then that would make it more convenient  to come back in without just opting for a visa exemption (30 days).

Also,,,is there such thing as a multi entry Evisa, or Evisa that gives longer than 60 days stay?

thanks..

3 hours ago, McGregor21 said:

Also,,,is there such thing as a multi entry Evisa, or Evisa that gives longer than 60 days stay?

The Thai e-visa system allows you to apply for essentially all visa types. There are a number of multiple entry visas if you can qualify for them. One is the multiple entry tourist visa (METV) which permits unlimited 60-day entries into Thailand for a period of six months after it is issued. It is possible to get over eight months stay out of an METV by using border bounces and, as is allowed for any 60-day entry, extending the last entry from just before visa expiry by 30 days at Immigration.

• Thanks 1

Some Thai embassies require travel history for e-Visa (past 12 months stamps in passport pages)... If London embassy doesn't need this, then you can apply e-Visa from wherever you are (you can rent flight ticket London to BKK for $14).

1 hour ago, sallecc said:

Some Thai embassies require travel history for e-Visa (past 12 months stamps in passport pages)... If London embassy doesn't need this, then you can apply e-Visa from wherever you are (you can rent flight ticket London to BKK for $14).

Two questions: 1) my embassy also requires the past 12 months stamps in passport, but how can they verify this?

2) Regarding renting a ticket for $14 from London to BKK:  will nobody verify if I later buy another ticket, from the place I'm actually departing from,  to destination  BKK?

9 hours ago, jil said:

Two questions: 1) my embassy also requires the past 12 months stamps in passport, but how can they verify this?

2) Regarding renting a ticket for $14 from London to BKK:  will nobody verify if I later buy another ticket, from the place I'm actually departing from,  to destination  BKK?

My reply was deleted for some reason... OK let's try shorter (and more PC) answers:

1) I don't see how they can verify it.

2) Actual ticket cannot be looked up without booking code (or ticket no.).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Alex

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 5:51 AM, BritTim said:

In my opinion, a same day quick in/out, not requiring overnight stays (even assuming Vientiane or Savannakhet is the closest border) will be attractive to many. That is without considering the limits that embassies/consulates in the region place on multiple tourist visa applications. I am not attempting to be a long stay tourist but, if I was, this would be a part of my toolkit, replacing the unlimited border bounces for visa exempt entry that were attractive before being stopped.

I posted a response from the London Embassy when being asked the question - Can an eVisa be applied for outside the country.