Tourism ministry dual pricing proposal for hotel rates

webfact

Well, as I see it, doesn't effect me much, as I have a rental,

It's a bit like the national parks, you have a choice to simple not go.

However, the genuine tourist is, unless booking over Airbnb or similar, will be affected, and little choice to avoid the charge, unless choose a different country.

Honestly, I didn't read the full article, but I understood, there have been discounts to boost the industry. The only means I can imagine where the government can be involved, are tax releases for hotel operators. It's not wrong per se to admit discounted prices during hard times for the locals of a country. However, a dual price scheme has a bitter taste if others find out. 

If I'm in charge, I would rather give away vouchers to be spent for accommodation, parks, restaurants, or whatever. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Come to Thailand:

- Get ripped off on your hotel 

- Get ripped off by airport taxis

-Get ripped off by most other taxis in downtown areas

- Get ripped off to get into everything tourism attraction

- Get hassled in the streets and on the beach by lowlifes 

- See how we have polluted our part of the Earth

-Appreciate our casual racism

- Be unable to swim in our water

- Consume our overpriced low quality goods 

- Enjoy the cheap oil, MSG, and sugar in everything

-Risk life and limb on our roads

- Be robbed blind by a pack of rabid monkeys on an island

- Pay more for our pisswater beer than you do in your home country for a decent pint

-Don't worry. To make it all better we have stinky foul-mouthed hookers lined up on the streets for you. That's what you are here for 

- Don't forget to stroke our ego by telling us how good Thailand is

Sadly there are elements of real truth in those words. 

I do however hope that there have been some translation errors in the reporting of this story. Otherwise it makes no sense. My instinct tells me discounts under the 'We travel together' scheme (in whatever form it becomes) will continue to offer discounts to domestic tourists, but not foreign tourists. 

Rather than domestic being offered normal prices and foreigners offered a more expensive premium price for hotel rooms. 

I feel that this story has been badly and inaccurately reported, but then again very little surprises me in Thailand anymore. 

• Like 2

Sheer stupidity, reeking of racism from a government seemingly hellbent on destroying its tourism recovery. First slapping 300THB fees on foreign arrivals (still unclear when that begins) and now punishing foreigners for returning and fostering the economy. Do these clowns not realise Highland competes for visitors with a growing number of other countries that are actively welcoming and encouraging foreign visitors now?  Can they read or are they completely illiterate?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

If the do that, I will boycott the country and leave for another SE asian country.

Choices are getting limited, over 40 countries have tourist tax, some here in Asia.

Scotland and Wales have tourist tax proposals in the pipeline, way of the world, not just Thailand.

I wont pay tourist prices   or  i will have wife make reservations 

the government dual price is one thing but the  private industry is not what i will accept 

as another said  fxxm    ......  

• Like 1

These idiots have gotten away with moronic, racist plans like these for decades. Time to shove it in their faces....

I just sent this story to a few news outlets. Everyone on the forum should do the same.

Mainstream media; alt media; travel reviewers, etc......

Maybe a few thousand requests for comment will change the way....

No, I guess not.

• Like 2