LAN Cable

For my cameras I'm in the market for a few hundred meters of Cat5e LAN cable

Looking on Lazada I see a few brands listed, with Glink one of the most common one, and somewhere in my head that name sounds familiar.

Other brands I noticed are Arnox and Qoolis.

Visited a local satellite shop as well, and of course they also offered Glink, but they also had Link, which costed more than double for the same spec.

Both have the same spec, which is 24 AWG solid copper wire, unshielded cable.

I don't want to overspend if not needed, but of course, the quality has to be good from the first time with this kind of job.

So anyone has experience with brands of LAN cable. Will Glink do the same for me as the more than double priced Link?

Any other brands you are familiar with that stand for quality?

Please note, this is not used as internet cable, but to transfer the video signal between camera and recorder, so interference is a big factor.

• Like 1

Just an idea, but to save money and increase your flexibility, have you thought about making your own cables? There is not much to it.

You can buy 100 meter drums of cable, some end plugs and a cheap RJ45 crimp tool. There are many videos on YouTube about how to do this, such as the one below.

Just start with some very short pieces of cable. You will get the hang of it really quickly and it's a good skill to have. If the end plug breaks for any reason you can re-terminate it yourself, instead of probably buying a new cable.

• Like 1

Be careful, exterior lan cable is not the same as interior grade & get cat 6 or 6a.
with a crimp tool and RJ45 do not get closed ended plugs get pass through ones and don’t forget the cable tester.

the crimp tool will be about ฿1,000

85707564-4499-49A6-B347-6462656C0C3F.jpeg.8299ba5e2c9d8f7509f5a7b1d6e862b8.jpeg

82608C9C-FD2D-4C3C-B23C-AAE9A0188AB0.jpeg.3b9a23d072febdb6db0398950057207b.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

crimp tool and RJ45 do not get closed ended plugs get pass through ones and don’t forget the cable tester.

the crimp tool will be about ฿1,000

150bht inc delivery for crimp tool and tester.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/set-2in1-network-rj45-cat5-rj11-rj12-lan-cable-wire-crimper-crimp-plier-strip-tool-green-rj45-rj11-rj12-cat5-utp-network-lan-cable-tester-remote-test-tools-whitegreen-i417570761-s801096358.html

Cable 500bht for 100m exterior 5e.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/glink-outdoor-gl5002-cat5e-utp-cable-100mbox-i3290274123-s12204552507.html

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

Just an idea, but to save money and increase your flexibility, have you thought about making your own cables? There is not much to it.

You can buy 100 meter drums of cable, some end plugs and a cheap RJ45 crimp tool. There are many videos on YouTube about how to do this, such as the one below.

That is what I want to do, the issue is to find the spec of the cables.

As with everything in Thailand, exact spec of the product is rarely available, and even when they write spec in their product listing, doesn't mean it is true at all.

To me it is important that the wires inside are the size as specified, and are solid copper, and not copper plated, as I found out already with RG6 coaxial cable to be the case. That is also why I changed from the initial idea of using RG6 + DC, to Cat5e + DC, because with copper plated wires the voltage drop would be too big for the cameras to work properly.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Be careful, exterior lan cable is not the same as interior grade & get cat 6 or 6a.

I am aware of that, but since all cables will be under the roof, I assume interior grade will be fine.

Cat5e is more than sufficient for any IP camera available on the market today.

To answer my own question.

Finally found Glink and Link (interlink) webpages.

Only in Thai of course, but with the help of Google, I was able to download the spec of the cables I'm interested in, and they are luckily in English.

Both quoted identical spec with Glink, although less than half of the price, slightly better spec.

So I then did a search for Link vs Glink, and found some Thai forums discussing the quality.

In short, avoid Glink if you're looking for quality, and expect to get what is written in their product page

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our network Contractor uses Link or Belden for Cat-6 and fibre.

If it's good enough for BTS ...

Thanks Link is what I'm gonna order.

It was Glink which I was suspicious about, and after my reads on some Thai forums my suspicions seem to be valid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterfranks said:

Cat5e is more than sufficient for any IP camera available on the market today.

Absolutely it is. However Cat 6  or 6a is easier to put the ends on as the copper is thicker.

it is perfectly possible (DAMHIK) to get 2 Cat5 strands on the same pin, not so with 6/6a

The difference in price is usually minimal compared to the cost in time and money running the cable.

But of course it’s your money so your choice. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Don't know if this link is helpful for you, for larger lengths scroll down,  https://www.advice.co.th/product/cable-and-marker

Also, shielding (interference) might be a factor with CAT5e cables?  UTP=unshielded.

category    bandwidth   shielding      speed         EIA/TIA     IEEE        ISO/IEC 11801  use/notes
            (MHz)                      (Mbps)                    (BASE-T)                               

CAT3      16          UTP            10            568B        10          Class C        voice only
  CAT4      20          UTP            16                        10/100                     obsolete
  CAT5      100         UTP            10/100        568A        10/100                     obsolete (-> 5e)
  CAT5e     100         UTP            10/100/1000   568B2       1000        Class D        networking minimum
  CAT6      250         UTP/STP        10/100/1000   568B2-1     10GB        Class E
  CAT6a     500         STP            10,000        568C.1      10GB        Class E-A
  CAT7      600         S/FTP          10,000                    10G         Class F
  CAT7a     1,000       S/FTP          10,000                    10G         Class F-A
  CAT8.1    2,000       U/FTP, F/UTP   40,000        568-C.2-1   25G/40G     Class I        data centers    
  CAT8.2    2,000       F/FTP, S/FTP   40,000        568-C.2-1   25G/40G     Class II       data centers

The only network wiring in my house (except a little bit of fiber) that isn't 5e is what I use for outdoor cameras. The shielding does seem to improve the performance for those units, so I went with shielded outdoor 6a. The stuff is hard as h3ll to get in tight spaces, but it is stiff enough that you can "push" it a bit rather than just pulling which can sometimes be helpful. 

My issue is resolution; some of my outdoor cameras are 4k60. 

Edited by tjo o tjim

I look for "listed" cable. I look for the listing bug from any testing laboratory, such as UL. Also, if it's going to be run in conduit, under grade level, it should be wet location rated insulation or there will be problems fairly quickly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ding said:

I look for "listed" cable. I look for the listing bug from any testing laboratory, such as UL. Also, if it's going to be run in conduit, under grade level, it should be wet location rated insulation or there will be problems fairly quickly.

This is the cable I will use.

https://www.interlink.co.th/upload/product_document/US-9015.pdf

All cable will be under the roof, and I haven't planned for conduit.

Will conduit make a big difference in performance?

11 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

This is the cable I will use.

https://www.interlink.co.th/upload/product_document/US-9015.pdf

All cable will be under the roof, and I haven't planned for conduit.

Will conduit make a big difference in performance?

Shouldn't make much difference but if you are going to bury or expose to the rain etc, then conduit, the main thing is to avoid proximity to power, fluorescent lights etc, no sharp bends.

How are you powering these cameras ? Are you doing POE (using one pair) ? If so, that's a top speed of 100 Mbps, anything over a Cat 5 isn't really relevant. 

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Shouldn't make much difference but if you are going to bury or expose to the rain etc, then conduit, the main thing is to avoid proximity to power, fluorescent lights etc, no sharp bends.

How are you powering these cameras ? Are you doing POE (using one pair) ? If so, that's a top speed of 100 Mbps, anything over a Cat 5 isn't really relevant. 

https://shopee.co.th/Power-Supply-box-12v-20A-18Channels-พร้อมแบตเตอร์รี่-i.314246554.17240710574

This I will use to power them with 2 x 1mm² flexible copper cable.

My cameras are analog and I use baluns, which enable me to use 2 pair to power them, but I have been advised that the powerloss will be too big.

Powerloss calculators indicate that I will have 9.6V on the cameras the furthest away, and Dahua quotes that the cameras run on 12V +- 25% (9V), though on an cctv forum I was told that it would not work.

What you mean with 100 Mbps. Cat5e is rated 1 Gbps

2 hours ago, peterfranks said:

What you mean with 100 Mbps. Cat5e is rated 1 Gbps

It needs all 8 wires to do 1 Gbps, if you start using pairs for power then it cant run at 1 1Gbps. The most 2 pair can run at is 100 Mbps.

Why not use Coax/power cable if the cameras are analog, there would be no real advantage using cat 5

Why would video data need 1 Gbps?

99% of IP cameras on the market have less than 100 Mbps to stream their video signal. Even 7K cameras use only 100 Mbps.

Coaxial is first of all much harder to handle, and PG6 coaxial has no solid copper core. About 30% copper is the best you can find.

9 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Why would video data need 1 Gbps?

99% of IP cameras on the market have less than 100 Mbps to stream their video signal. Even 7K cameras use only 100 Mbps.

Coaxial is first of all much harder to handle, and PG6 coaxial has no solid copper core. About 30% copper is the best you can find.

Yes that's right, 100Mbps is fine for any "digital" data stream, BUT you are not sending/streaming any data, you are sending an analog signal over Cat 5 cable. As I said previously, any speed, theoretical data carrying properties of the cable are irrelevant, your not using the cat 5 for data. None of the design of a Cat 5 cable is to do with analog signals, its for data.

You are asking which data cable (zeros and ones) is the best for an analog (sine wave) application. 

Any cable above a basic cat 5, wont make any difference for an analog signal.

The best cable would be coax, but as you say, maybe harder to install, and possibly more expensive

5 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

I know it is a little bit more expensive... but boy I would recommend going for a PoE camera (active not passive) to future-proof the setup.  Cat6 being larger wire size does also reduce the power losses.

My cameras were 2800 baht a piece, and bought already, so switching to another one is not an option.