Ghislaine Maxwell appeals sex trafficking conviction and sentence

Scott

Ghislaine Maxwell appeals sex trafficking conviction and sentence

Maxwell, who a judge said played ‘instrumental’ role in abuse of girls by Jeffrey Epstein, got 20-year sentence in June.

Ghislaine Maxwell has appealed her sex trafficking conviction and 20-year prison sentence for facilitating the abuse of underage girls by disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein.

The appeal was filed on Thursday, nine days after her sentencing by US Circuit Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan.

After a month long trial, a US jury in December convicted Maxwell on five charges, including sex trafficking of minors, finding that she had recruited and groomed four girls for abuse by Epstein, then her boyfriend, between 1994 and 2004.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/7/ghislaine-maxwell-appeals-sex-trafficking-conviction-and-sentence

image.png

2 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

This is an unusual case. Normally after Maxwell was found guilty there would be major efforts to bring the men that paid for these young girls Maxwell was trafficking to justice. Paying for and sexually abusing young trafficked girls is still a crime, right? Yet there is no effort whatsoever to name and bring these evil men to justice. How bizarre. Was Maxwell found guilty of trafficking young girls to nobody? 

I haven't heard of any trafficking of girls for anyone but Epstein.  The fact that Epstein seemed to have been willing to share with others doesn't implicate anyone except him.   

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Credo said:

I haven't heard of any trafficking of girls for anyone but Epstein.  The fact that Epstein seemed to have been willing to share with others doesn't implicate anyone except him.   

Interesting viewpoint, thanks for sharing. I heard Epstein owned a small island in the Caribbean where he flew super VIPs over for some fun in the sun wink wink, with these trafficked girls. If such a scenario was found to be true, would these powerful men have done anything wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Interesting viewpoint, thanks for sharing. I heard Epstein owned a small island in the Caribbean where he flew super VIPs over for some fun in the sun wink wink, with these trafficked girls. If such a scenario was found to be true, would these powerful men have done anything wrong? 

It's not a viewpoint.  There is no evidence she groomed or procured girls for anyone other than Epstein.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Surely, it implicates those with whom he shared these underage trafficked girls?

You might want to ask Prince Andrew about that but, again, she helped groom Ms Guifrye for Epstein.  Epstein later arranged for the Prince and the young lady to have a little fling.   

• Like 2

Just now, KhunLA said:

She's been silenced.  Guessing she has records tucked away safely, IMHO, and the only reason she is still alive.

The only ones who could really name anyone would be the girls themselves.  If either she or Epstein pimped them out to anyone, they might have a case, but Maxwell's naming names isn't worth much without evidence.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Credo said:

It's not a viewpoint.  There is no evidence she groomed or procured girls for anyone other than Epstein.   

But were the girls underage or not?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

He might have owned an island, but that does not confer sovereignty over it. It is still subject to the laws of the country which holds such sovereignty.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Credo said:

Pmsl..

Hands up those that have not taken a BG on a bar hop to "procure" a 3rd party?

Let's put the holier than thou attitude to rest

Edited by wombat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wombat said:

The Ozie chick was not underage.

16 is the age of consent in Australia.

She knew exactly what she was doing.

I would say that they all knew what they were doing, without a shadow of doubt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Credo said:

You might want to ask Prince Andrew about that but, again, she helped groom Ms Guifrye for Epstein.  Epstein later arranged for the Prince and the young lady to have a little fling.   

And guess where did Maxwell recruit Giuffre? ????

"A prominent Epstein victim, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, says his ex-girlfriend and alleged "madam," Ghislaine Maxwell, recruited her into Epstein's sex trafficking operation when she worked as a locker room attendant at Mar-a-Lago in 1999, when she was 15."

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeffrey-epstein-and-trump-mar-a-lago-resort-connections?r=US&IR=T

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So as far as you are concerned There is only Epstein and Maxwell ? There was nobody else involved at all at any level? I find it hard to believe that anybody could be so naive. 

I’m not at all sure how you come to that conclusion.

6 hours ago, Credo said:

She was the one who initially targeted and groomed the girls. She's guilty as all get out. The men who abused these girls are powerful, wealthy pieces of sh!t and will most likely see no consequences for their despicable acts.

• Like 1

Let her rot for a few years yet...............

"prosecutors had argued that Maxwell made her own choices and said that she had expressed little remorse for her participation in what Nathan called a “horrific scheme to entice, transport and traffic underage girls, some as young as 14, for sexual abuse by and with Jeffrey Epstein”.

One of the problems with prosecuting any third parties is that according to pretty much all the accounts I've read including those given by the girls, the alleged offences almost always took place behind closed doors. 

So it would come down to a case of, "He said, she said."

If the people alleged to have been involved, simply say (as for instance, Alan Dershowitz does) that nothing happened except for a simple and legitimate massage with no sexual component, that would be almost impossible to disprove.

Without independent eye witness testimony there wouldn't be much chance of a conviction.

The other big problem is that even if they could prove crimes took place, in most cases, the alleged offences involving these girls are beyond the statute of limitations now.

They were only able to indict Maxwell so long after the events took place, because of a change in New York law that allowed historical crimes to be prosecuted. However it's too late to use that again now, as well. Any charges under that law had to be filed before the end of 2020.

So I would say there's little to no chance that any others could be prosecuted at this stage.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Not at all. They were lied to up front, being told they would only be providing massages for (to them) large sums of money. They were pressured into the deeds and, being as young and naïve as they were, had no clue what they were getting into. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Credo said:

They are guilty as well  because if you have sex with underage girls  ( at least in the US ) you are guilty of ststutory rape and sex trafficking if they have crossed state  lines.  You can't just get a stable of underage girls and then provide their services to people without them being guilty  as well.  Say in US or even Tailand if you have a bar/house and provide the serviice of underage girls  yes you are guilty of sex traffiking but anyone who  you share or have pay for these girls is also guilty of  tradffikibg and stsautory rape and  will go to jail..   Seems  Epstien  ( I  heard ) provided Prince Andrew with underage girl and he had to pay $10 million dolars to settle the claim.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Even if they did, for those that were underage (which was nearly all of them, at least to start with) they were too young to give consent anyway.

For those young girls (some as young as 14) if anything of a sexual nature took place, it's a crime no matter what.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Basically Epstein Honey trapped his clients. Just imagine the power he got just by coincidence let them get involved with his girls? 

Who did Epstein work for? 

Who had power to kill Epstein? Was it suicide? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

They are guilty as well  because if you have sex with underage girls  ( at least in the US ) you are guilty of ststutory rape and sex trafficking if they have crossed state  lines.  You can't just get a stable of underage girls and then provide their services to people without them being guilty  as well.  Say in US or even Tailand if you have a bar/house and provide the serviice of underage girls  yes you are guilty of sex traffiking but anyone who  you share or have pay for these girls is also guilty of  tradffikibg and stsautory rape and  will go to jail..   Seems  Epstien  ( I  heard ) provided Prince Andrew with underage girl and he had to pay $10 million dolars to settle the claim.

It's true that any of Epstein's clients who had sex with underage girls committed the crime of statutory rape.

However, if we're talking about other people involved in the crimes Maxwell was charged with, they date from between 1994 and 1997. As I already mentioned, most such crimes would be a) almost impossible to prove, especially 25-30 years later and b) beyond the statute of limitations now, anyway.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

The Ozie chick was not underage.

16 is the age of consent in Australia.

She knew exactly what she was doing.

We are not talking about Australia but the US.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:
7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More conspiracy nonsense for the addicts who feed on this stuff.

So as far as you are concerned There is only Epstein and Maxwell ? There was nobody else involved at all at any level? I find it hard to believe that anybody could be so naive. 

The conspiracy nonsense is that Epstein was murdered and that Maxwell is only alive because she has "records tucked away". 

• Haha 1