Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

Featured Replies

12 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Not sure why they want the 50k receipt.....?

They do not according to the BOI

  • Replies 5.5k
  • Views 686.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • jensmann
    jensmann

    If I have a million dollar back home, I wouldn't be here. Simple...

  • Thingamabob
    Thingamabob

    As a retiree I am happy to maintain 800k in the bank, and pay 1900 baht once a year for a retirement extension. Why would I want to pay more ?

  • The new visa initiatives (for instance Non O-X 10-year retirement, Investment visa, multiple entry tourist visa) are almost invariably attractive when first announced, and usually much less so when cl

Posted Images

Anyone else have trouble exiting via the egates lately?

12 minutes ago, ashkale said:

Anyone else have trouble exiting via the egates lately?

I've never had a problem. What was the issue, the gate couldn't read your passport? Or read it, but didn't allow you to proceed?

Went through the first gate and the secondary gate gave that screeching sound (twice) redirected to the manual, overheard the 2 ladies chat, OH LTR ...likely they might have implemented some half baked system as usual to track the number of entries and exits in the country. Or it could just be my luck:) anyways TIT :) 555.

  • Popular Post

Just a reminder for those who missed it. As per Mr. Kasapon Singprasert, Senior Tax Economist for The Revenue Department, Thailand, LTR-WP visa holders are not required to file a tax return if their only income is from foreign sources.

See page 7 of his presentation at the LTR Community Day on Feb 19, 2026 below:

Page 7 of 10.png

BOI Community Day Feb 19, 2026.png

Tax Essentials for LTR Visa Holders.pdf

On 9/2/2026 at 11:19 AM, Pib said:

I would agree a lot of people probably don't log into their LTR online acct after the visa is issued and will not be aware of a notice that may be waiting for them the next time they try to log into their LTR online acct.

After I got my LTR Visa in late 2022 I would logon to my account a several times per year for a minute or so just to confirm I could still logon since I knew come 2027 I would be using my online acct again to get the 2nd 5 year increment of the 10 year LTR visa.

But yesterday when I was using Facebook to look at some information completed unrelated to the LTR visa, Thailand, etc., I saw the LTR system upgrade notice on the BOI LTR Facebook page since Facebook automatically shows you things you might be following, interested in, etc., currently or before. So seeing this notice on Facebook I went to sign into my LTR online acct and was presented with needing to switch to the upgrade system where you get new login credentials and once logged in things have indeed changed in how the online account looks and operates. That's when I saw the Follow-up documentation request driven by the system upgrade.

I figure anyone wanting to get the 2nd 5 year increment on their current 10 year LTR visa will need to provide the Follow-up document "before" they will be able to request the 2nd 5 year extension. It's kinda like give them what they request "now"....if you don't provide it now you will just have to provide it later/before being able to extend the LTR visa.

Honestly I don't get what this exchange is about. I went there just now and got that (below), followed the link and indeed everything is there as it was. Is it because the "new system" is only for new applicants?

Screenshot 2026-09-05 at 11.58.43.png

Edited by Peter Crow

On 9/1/2026 at 7:24 PM, Pib said:

I just uploaded the 4 requested docs of LTR Visa Stamp, Permitted to Stay Stamp, 1 Year Address Report, and visa Payment receipt.

Immediately upon submitting/saving the docs I got below pop-up message saying the upload/saving went successfully..... and the notice I talked about in my earlier post changed from saying "Upload Your Stay Permit Stamp" to "View Uploaded Stamp."

I'll kick-back now and see what type of response I get to my email and also the uploads. My gut begin telling me any BOI LTR email response will probably say I need to submit the docs as part of their new-and-improved online account system....so, I just uploaded the 4 docs.

Pop-up Message saying success

image.png

image.png

I uploaded the 4 documents last week and it now says "View uploaded stamp". However, it still says "Follow-Up Required" just like it did before I uploaded the documents, which I assume means those documents have not yet been reviewed and accepted by BOI. Has anyone that uploaded documents progressed such that "Follow-Up Required" is now gone?

On 9/5/2026 at 8:23 AM, JohnnyBD said:

Just a reminder for those who missed it. As per Mr. Kasapon Singprasert, Senior Tax Economist for The Revenue Department, Thailand, LTR-WP visa holders are not required to file a tax return if their only income is from foreign sources.

See page 7 of his presentation at the LTR Community Day on Feb 19, 2026 below:

Page 7 of 10.png

BOI Community Day Feb 19, 2026.png

Tax Essentials for LTR Visa Holders.pdf

What if I also have a Thai dividend income which is already subjected to the 10% withholding tax? (that alone doesn't require me to file a tax return, so I would assume there would be no need to do it even when adding a foreign sourced income)

15 hours ago, tacchan23 said:

What if I also have a Thai dividend income which is already subjected to the 10% withholding tax? (that alone doesn't require me to file a tax return, so I would assume there would be no need to do it even when adding a foreign sourced income)

I would assume no filing requirement unless you want some of the tax back

On 9/2/2026 at 8:51 PM, K2938 said:

I would want to encourage everyone to write to the BOI (email address removed) that LTR visa holders should be exempted from the proposed 350 THB tourist entry fee. As you will be aware the government is currently holding a hearing concerning this.

As long-term residents, LTR visa holders should be exempted and the BOI should lobby for this to happen. But when I contacted them, they basically told me rather impolitely not to bother them.

image.png

On 9/5/2026 at 8:23 AM, JohnnyBD said:

Just a reminder for those who missed it. As per Mr. Kasapon Singprasert, Senior Tax Economist for The Revenue Department, Thailand, LTR-WP visa holders are not required to file a tax return if their only income is from foreign sources.

See page 7 of his presentation at the LTR Community Day on Feb 19, 2026 below:

Page 7 of 10.png

BOI Community Day Feb 19, 2026.png

Tax Essentials for LTR Visa Holders.pdf

Does anyone have anything from the TRD itself that backs up this claim by the BOI that no PIT is required to be lodged - they are after all not the TRD. I am seeing more and more claims online that this LTR 'exemption' should be 'applied for' in an annual tax return. I have looked at the decree and there is nothing in that that states no PIT is required.

Also has anyone heard from the TRD or BOI in regards to what will happen if/when Thailand implements a global taxation system whereby all income generated (whether remitted or not) is taxable income. My read of the decree and BOI statements is that the income tax exemption is only applicable to income remitted into Thailand. I have also heard some claims that the OECD (and UN and j5) will never support Thailand (or any country) that allows anyone to buy a Visa and pay no income taxes on their earnings worldwide. Thailand is definitely very keen to join OECD and I can see their crackdown on all things about money laundering and banking and nominees eventually focusing on the Visas that have given foreigners income tax exemptions.

50 minutes ago, XRules said:

Does anyone have anything from the TRD itself that backs up this claim by the BOI that no PIT is required to be lodged - they are after all not the TRD.

The presentation was given by Mr. Kasapon Singprasert, Senior Tax Economist from the Thai Revenue Department TRD. I would say that is coming directrly from TRD.

The PowerPoint presentation is uploaded on BOI's website.

Edited by JohnnyBD

6 hours ago, XRules said:

Does anyone have anything from the TRD itself that backs up this claim by the BOI that no PIT is required to be lodged - they are after all not the TRD. I am seeing more and more claims online that this LTR 'exemption' should be 'applied for' in an annual tax return. I have looked at the decree and there is nothing in that that states no PIT is required.

Also has anyone heard from the TRD or BOI in regards to what will happen if/when Thailand implements a global taxation system whereby all income generated (whether remitted or not) is taxable income. My read of the decree and BOI statements is that the income tax exemption is only applicable to income remitted into Thailand. I have also heard some claims that the OECD (and UN and j5) will never support Thailand (or any country) that allows anyone to buy a Visa and pay no income taxes on their earnings worldwide. Thailand is definitely very keen to join OECD and I can see their crackdown on all things about money laundering and banking and nominees eventually focusing on the Visas that have given foreigners income tax exemptions.

Quite a few of us have heard from the horses mouth no PIT on any income generated overseas or remitted and no return is needed. As for OECD, they are generally positioned to stop corporate tax manipulation. They dont care about individuals.

21 hours ago, gravity101 said:

Quite a few of us have heard from the horses mouth no PIT on any income generated overseas or remitted and no return is needed. As for OECD, they are generally positioned to stop corporate tax manipulation. They dont care about individuals.

Thanks - as per other post, the TRD stated there is no PIT. However, the exemotion is only for money remitted into Thailand - it says nothing about earnings overseas not remitted.

Regarding OECD it is not about them doing anything, it is about Thailand complaying with OECD rules regarding stopping money laundering and tax evasion. IMO under a Thai global tax system, Thailand will not be able to creat a Visa people can buy that gives them tax free earnings on their global income.

In fact, some say that is why Thailand will not change - because they currently allow anyone with the Visa to remit as much money as they want tax free and that brings in a lot of money (hence why they dropped the implementation of the removal of the 12 months rule in 2024 for 2025). Whether a person in Thailand pays income taxes in other countries where they earn that money is not the concern of Thailand under their remittance-only based taxation system.

  • Popular Post
34 minutes ago, K2938 said:

I doubt it. The LTR application process is much more involved than applying for an Elite visa. And the BOI has plenty of time for these checks to take place on the backend if they're not already doing it. I doubt anyone will notice anything different.

  • Popular Post

image.png

Anyone do an LTR-WP application recently?

Somone on reddit has posted that a BOI counter agent told him that 2 years of tax returns are needed to satisfy the passive income required. I was told by BOI via email about a year ago that 1 year would be good.

Planning to apply next year, so wondering what the latest policy is. The question is relevant because I need to set aside 100k USD in a qualifying account to get the insurance waiver.

On 9/2/2026 at 6:51 AM, K2938 said:

I would want to encourage everyone to write to the BOI (email address removed) that LTR visa holders should be exempted from the proposed 350 THB tourist entry fee. As you will be aware the government is currently holding a hearing concerning this.

As long-term residents, LTR visa holders should be exempted and the BOI should lobby for this to happen. But when I contacted them, they basically told me rather impolitely not to bother them.

If you can afford the LTR Visa, you can afford 350 baht.

Most likely will be included in your airline ticket. You won’t even notice it.

54 minutes ago, HolmesEquivelant said:

If you can afford the LTR Visa, you can afford 350 baht.

Most likely will be included in your airline ticket. You won’t even notice it.

You are wrong. If you followed the story of the fee at all, you would know that it's been talked about for around 10 years at this point. It is only for foreigners, and been said multiple times by the government that it's only for tourists. They CANNOT add it to the ticket, because airlines will not add a fee that only applies to certain people. It's all or nothing. Thailand has never figured out a way to collect the fee, so it has not been implemented.

There was a proposal that came up for a very short time earlier this year, where they would charge everyone, and then Thais could apply for a refund of the fee. That only lasted about a week before it was never talked about again.

They now have a way to collect it from targeted people, with the TDAC. Every foreigner is required to submit a TDAC before entering Thailand, and they can use that to collect the fee for visa exempt entries, and add the fee to the tourist visa application fee for embassies.

6 hours ago, HolmesEquivelant said:

If you can afford the LTR Visa, you can afford 350 baht.

Most likely will be included in your airline ticket. You won’t even notice it.

What a stupid comment. If you enter Thailand countless times in a year, then it gets big quickly.

1 hour ago, K2938 said:

What a stupid comment. If you enter Thailand countless times in a year, then it gets big quickly.

Plus, the main stated purpose of the fee was to cover the costs of treatment for uninsured tourists, and all LTR holders are required to have medical insurance - so even on its face it doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, K2938 said:

What a stupid comment. If you enter Thailand countless times in a year, then it gets big quickly.

My comment was spot on.

Except for the Cheap Charlie’s. Who cringe about every satong.

So tell us . How will you determine with part of your airline ticket has that astronomical 350 baht increase? What is your plan for ensuring you get your precious 350 baht is returned to you because you have a LTR Visa?

You’re the same guy crying about paying 50 baht more at a Thai National Park just because you’re a farang.

38 minutes ago, HolmesEquivelant said:

My comment was spot on.

Except for the Cheap Charlie’s. Who cringe about every satong.

So tell us . How will you determine with part of your airline ticket has that astronomical 350 baht increase? What is your plan for ensuring you get your precious 350 baht is returned to you because you have a LTR Visa?

You’re the same guy crying about paying 50 baht more at a Thai National Park just because you’re a farang.

If you love throwing your money away for nothing in return, I'm sure any Thai person you meet would gladly accept your 350 baht. The rest of us expect not to be charged a tourist tax, as we're not tourists.

5 minutes ago, BrandonJT said:

If you love throwing your money away for nothing in return, I'm sure any Thai person you meet would gladly accept your 350 baht. The rest of us expect not to be charged a tourist tax, as we're not tourists.

Exactly the type I was referring to in my spot on post. BTW, I have a LTR Visa.

Do you have one or just crying about 350 baht that most likely doesn’t affect you anyway. Especially if you’re doing border runs.

If the slim chance you actually could afford a LTR visa how will you get back that 350 from your ticket? You failed to mention that in your last post.

25 minutes ago, HolmesEquivelant said:

Exactly the type I was referring to in my spot on post. BTW, I have a LTR Visa.

Do you have one or just crying about 350 baht that most likely doesn’t affect you anyway. Especially if you’re doing border runs.

If the slim chance you actually could afford a LTR visa how will you get back that 350 from your ticket? You failed to mention that in your last post.

Why would I be here if I didn't have an LTR? I am one of the first people who ever got one.

And I won't need to get my 350 baht back, because it will never be added to the ticket price, as I already mentioned. They have been trying to figure out how to collect it for 10 years because they cannot add it to the ticket price.

1 hour ago, BrandonJT said:

Why would I be here if I didn't have an LTR? I am one of the first people who ever got one.

And I won't need to get my 350 baht back, because it will never be added to the ticket price, as I already mentioned. They have been trying to figure out how to collect it for 10 years because they cannot add it to the ticket price.

“They have been trying to figure out how to collect it for 10 years because they cannot add it to the ticket price.

So you have nothing to fear after all.

When the time comes and you need a loan or handout for 350, let me know. Always happy to help a fellow AN member.

BTW, why can’t they add it to the ticket price?

Did some international court of law decide against it?

26 minutes ago, HolmesEquivelant said:

“They have been trying to figure out how to collect it for 10 years because they cannot add it to the ticket price.

So you have nothing to fear after all.

When the time comes and you need a loan or handout for 350, let me know. Always happy to help a fellow AN member.

BTW, why can’t they add it to the ticket price?

Did some international court of law decide against it?

I spelled it out a few posts ago. Are you replying to posts that you don't read?

Airlines will not impose a fee unless it's for every ticket. This fee is only for tourists. Since it's not for Thais and it's not for non-tourists, the airlines cannot collect it.

28 minutes ago, BrandonJT said:

I spelled it out a few posts ago. Are you replying to posts that you don't read?

Airlines will not impose a fee unless it's for every ticket. This fee is only for tourists. Since it's not for Thais and it's not for non-tourists, the airlines cannot collect it.

I was replying to your post.

Just as I thought. No one really knows when/if it will be implemented. And for who, other than tourists.

On 9/5/2026 at 8:23 AM, JohnnyBD said:

Just a reminder for those who missed it. As per Mr. Kasapon Singprasert, Senior Tax Economist for The Revenue Department, Thailand, LTR-WP visa holders are not required to file a tax return if their only income is from foreign sources.

See page 7 of his presentation at the LTR Community Day on Feb 19, 2026 below:

Page 7 of 10.png

BOI Community Day Feb 19, 2026.png

Tax Essentials for LTR Visa Holders.pdf

Again, not clear at all: I pay 10% "final" tax on dividends and I bet the TRD doesn't want to have us filing taxes if that's the only Thai revenue we have.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

  • bouph12

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.