Proposal to waive visa fees for foreign tourists to Thailand

webfact

On 7/11/2022 at 4:29 AM, webfact said:

The move would help boost tourism and promote increased spending from foreign tourists

The fee waiver in all likelihood would have no bearing on either of the above.

• Thanks 1

Try dropping the publicly announced 5X entrance fee at national parks after tourists have arrived.

Or is this a scam to entice them in with a free visa seemingly getting something for free, and then gouge them once they're in the country?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Try dropping the publicly announced 5X entrance fee at national parks after tourists have arrived.

Or is this a scam to entice them in with a free visa seemingly getting something for free, and then gouge them once they're in the country?

Bloody hell, it's a free visa it's a good thing. Some of u on here seem to just wake up miserable every day and look for an excuse to cry about something. Unbelievable.

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, baboon said:

Sandra Gregory got one easily enough. Granted, she was turned back at the airport, but it does make a mockery of the 'security' argument. 

Well I did not say they do a very good job.... far too many with criminal records, or being pursued in their own country, make i here and live for many years. 

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

normal tourists, don't need a visa as they won't stay longer than 3/4 weeks..... Western people have to work too and have limited holidays.. so if you need a visa you are not a normal tourist...

My thoughts too..... and if not a normal tourist, a fee for a Visa and a bit of extra vetting is not a big deal. Wasn't the tourist Visa offered for free during Covid for a while?.... I don't recall it made a big difference. 

12 hours ago, geisha said:

Maybe, but the real problem is getting the visa , not paying for it ! The paperwork, and even the online application is absolutely ridiculous. I travel a lot, why is it so easy to get visas to other countries, even neighboring countries of Thailand ? ? Because the Thai systems, lack of technology and mistrust makes it very difficult. 

For many years I simply popped into the UK/Thai  Consulate in Hull. en-route to visit a friend in the NE of UK. A trivial form to fill in and pay the cash, sorted for another 12 months in Thailand. They do seem to have complicated things over the years with so many options, many with onerous requirements. Fortunately a retirement extension in Thailand is easy for the over 50s.

22 hours ago, Canuckluck said:

Does this mean i don't need to apply for an extension beyond 30 days?

Depending when your extension expires, you will still have to apply for an extension as this is just another proposal that hasn't been implemented yet. When it comes into effect, then you won't need to apply for an extension beyond 30 days.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My thoughts too..... and if not a normal tourist, a fee for a Visa and a bit of extra vetting is not a big deal. Wasn't the tourist Visa offered for free during Covid for a while?.... I don't recall it made a big difference. 

That depends on your definition of a "normal tourist". The standard definition for a tourist is a person who is travelling or visiting a place for pleasure. There is no set time limit for this other than the current 30-day exemption rule, which could be extended to 45 days. And what about public sector workers who get much longer holidays than private sector workers? For instance, in the UK there are 5.5 million public sector workers who can stay longer than just 2 weeks if they so wish. Also, are gap year students who are backpacking for a couple of months (or longer) not tourists as well? That said, families on a limited 2-week budget will not be tempted to spend big bucks on a short holiday right now, not with the way things currently stand. They'll choose somewhere much closer to home and easier on their wallet.

As for the extra vetting, a nefarious person with a criminal record can still get around the vetting process by simply becoming one of the many overstayers on a 30-day exemption. They don't tend to worry about rules, regulations and getting a proper tourist visa where they'll be scrutinized.

Edited by Senior Player

On 7/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, Daithi85 said:

Bloody hell, it's a free visa it's a good thing. Some of u on here seem to just wake up miserable every day and look for an excuse to cry about something. Unbelievable.

Sounds like you woke up miserable and want to cry about us crying lol.

To Ubon Joe.

visa fee and no visa fee I cannot seem to make a simple single entry 2 months tourist visa in London on a maltese passport with a boimetric resident permit. the visa online is a nightmare I tried a couple of agents to do it for me and both seems to be scams.And the Thai consulars are all closed. Every time i tried to make setv it's like I'm being thrown to the wolves. Ubon Joe what is the way out off this mess.

The Maltese Falcon

What happened with the idea to waive the fees for tourist visa?
Has the proposal already been dumped or will there be a decision on the next meeting
of the big guys?

Edited by Rohe60

1 hour ago, Rohe60 said:

What happened with the idea to waive the fees for tourist visa?
Has the proposal already been dumped or will there be a decision on the next meeting
of the big guys?

Pending...

Whichever way the wind blows this day or the next.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:28 AM, jacko45k said:

I do not see how a voluntary item like a Visa can be declared as theft......

Visas are an important security requirement. 

Exactly. With a proper visa and 90 day reports it's easy to find people like the guy in Phuket with monkey pox.