Proposal to waive visa fees for foreign tourists to Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds like the start of desperation due to no bookings - and only 'online searches' -  to me

Are you saying they had no bookings in 2008/9.

Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai Government has agreed to extend the exemption of the visa fee for tourist visa applications until 4 March 2010.

https://www.ryt9.com/en/prg/81927

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I'm waiting for the inevitable cries of   "OMG  this is only going to attract backpackers and potheads and possibly backpacking potheads  too !! What ever are they thinking" lol

If you're so skint, that 1900 is going to make or break your holiday, you won't be coming to Thailand anyway.

"What ... 1900 for a visa, so I can spend 500 per gram for buds, that's outrageous" ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Visa fees are not a deciding factor in visiting a country...however, places like thailand are often looked at because of how little comparably the accommodations are to go.  So if they want people to come, don't raise hotel prices to prices of other countries.  If so, they more likely go to the better infrastructured places with less hassle at immigration.

• Like 1

A long list of nationalities already get 30 days on the visa waiver program.

Visitors from these countries typically visit Thailand for 2 to 3 weeks, i.e. less than 30 days. 

Many others, including China and India, get a 15-day visa-on-arrival.

The average Chinese tourist stays for 5 - 6 days, the average Indian for about 1 week, i.e. less than 15 days.

So who exactly is that "fee exemption" supposed to benefit? The very small proportion of visitors who are able to take enough time off work and have the disposable funds available for a long-term stay?

Well, maybe it's all those millionaires Thailand wants to attract... you know, those people who couldn't care less if their visa cost them $50 or even $100.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I never went on holiday to any country where the advance paperwork was more than paying for the ticket. I can't be the only one to choose holiday destinations like that. 

Yea, not sure if just the advantage of USA PP, but I always just showed up, no paperwork, or even research done before arriving on international holiday.  Except booking hotel if needed.  Usually traded my timeshare week.

Working for airlines, never even needed to buy a ticket in advance, just check to make sure 1st Class was available, if not, go next day or another time.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, not sure if just the advantage of USA PP, but I always just showed up, no paperwork, or even research done before arriving on international holiday.  Except booking hotel if needed.  Usually traded my timeshare week.

Working for airlines, never even needed to buy a ticket in advance, just check to make sure 1st Class was available, if not, go next day or another time.

I stopped visiting the USA when they started wanting Brits to fill out an online form in advance. 

• Like 2

OP is missing the main part of the linked article which says this only applies to the visa on arrival

Also missing this point which is fantastic if approved

"TAT will also request the period of stay for tourist visas be extended from 30 days to 45 days..."

Edited by aussiexpat

2 hours ago, micmichd said:

Nobody said hotel prices go up. Just Thai people get a discount in their country. 

You are 100% correct in that nobody said hotel prices go up (including me), what was actually said was that foreigners shouldn't get a discount & there is everything wrong with sending that message out if you're trying to encourage tourism... If I didn't live here I wouldn't visit on principal if that becomes standard practice.  

NB This is completely different to Thai's getting a discount in National Parks which I agree with as it's their park(s), but a hotel is a  privately owned business.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I do not see how a voluntary item like a Visa can be declared as theft......

Visas are an important security requirement. 

Sandra Gregory got one easily enough. Granted, she was turned back at the airport, but it does make a mockery of the 'security' argument. 

A bit late for my family who arrived fo Switzerland yesterday at 0530 Thai Inter. Through immigration with no checks, just passport stamped. Out and on the road in a rented vehicle in under an hour. Fantastic.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

The fees aren't the problem, it's the paperwork and financial audit that's the problem.

By financial audit you mean a screenshot of your online banking statement that is easily edited in any browser? ????

4 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

No minimum 30 days free maybe 60 days, after that fees to be paid, who the hell goes on holidaY FOR 90 DAYS 

Malaysia and Singapore have 90 days visa exempt for many passports. Why shouldn't Thailand do the same? Would make the country a lot more attractive for many people.

5 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

No minimum 30 days free maybe 60 days, after that fees to be paid, who the hell goes on holidaY FOR 90 DAYS 

I just did 120 days (30 days exempt + 30 days extension + 60 days covid extension)

3 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

Visa fees (everywhere) are legalised theft. Creeps are financing their losses due to the pandemic on the backs of tourists.

I respectively disagree.  Charging reasonable fees for visas helps offset the cost of the Immigration Service.  If not for those fees (on non-local arrivals) then our domestic taxes would be higher in one form or another.  Certainly the cost of a Thai Visa is competitive with other countries.  And many tourists don't need an 'official' visa in the first place.

• Like 1