Khao San Road con: Foreign tourist who finds wallet ends up paying  for handing it in

webfact

Not so sure this was a scam in the sense that it's being done repeatedly and the police are "in on it." The scam artist is risking the loss of their wallet, their ID, and whatever cash was in the wallet should the finder decide to pocket the wallet and not turn it in.

If it was a scam, you'd know where the wallet was left and you'd be watching to see what the finder did with the wallet after he found it. But in this case, the finder didn't return the wallet to the police station until the next day, so wouldn't that at least suggest that the wallet was genuinely lost? Also, if it was a scam from the outset, why would you leave 1000 baht in the wallet? You could just as easily claim an empty wallet had had 6-7,000 baht in it.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Seems like honesty isn't always the best policy.

Either put it back where found, or have a spend up.

Avoid it. Walk away. Do not touch. This scam is done in other places than Khao San Road & other bait can be used. A favorite is a cell phone; I phone or Samsung. When someone sees it, picks it up, whether to take it or try to return, a group suddenly appears and Hey! they caught themselves a thief.  ----- Get out your cash & ATM card, you are going to pay. 

There was a thread on here about 3 years ago, a Portuguese tourist found a backpack left on a bench while waiting for a bus at the airport. It was there for about 15 minutes and when his bus arrived he decided to take it.

I don’t remember exactly what was in the backpack but I think there was a tablet or a laptop.

The next day feeling guilty he took the backpack to the police and admitted finding it thinking he would be deemed a “ good guy “ …… wrong !!

He found himself in IDC and was subsequently deported .

Okay, so not a great comparison with this case, but a good vote for the “ if it’s not yours don’t touch it “ crowd.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I thought about the situation and asked myself: What would I do?

If I would not ignore the walled then likely I would give it to the next bar/shop whatever next to the place where I found it.

Because if I would lose my wallet then first things I would go back to the place where I though I lost it and maybe I would ask there if anybody saw it.

Would I go to the trouble to bring it to a police station? I don't think so, that is just too much hassle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Yeah, I see i-phones and Samsung Galaxies lying on the street with long strings attached to them all the time.

Strings attached, No clue what you're on about. 

However if you do see an unattended phone, go ahead be a responsible citizen pick it up and try and return it. Of course if you are accused of theft and have to buy your way out, you knew this might be a possibility going in. They were playing this game at a local mall half a year back. Made the facebook news too.  
Cheers

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Anybody seriously looking for sex would not bother with Khao san rd unless they were looking for fat, loud, and drunken  western women Have you ever actually been there ?

Have you actually seen in my post the question mark after "sex, drugs" ? It was meant to reveal my uncertainty about what happens in this place where I have indeed never been. The possibilities I have raised, were based on the reputation of this area to attract mostly dodgy backpackers. 

But it remains that "real (healthy) backpackers would be way better off hiking the Lake district instead of some degenerate concrete jungle.

5 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

He was dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't hand it in. The lesson in this case is don't touch things that don't belong to you. 

Yes, he would have been followed to find out where he was staying and the police would have arrested him for stealing. In that case I would say the real scam would evolve. That may be 100,000 baht to avoid prosecution. However in most countries, it is theft "Theft by finding", or similar laws. 

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think I would have told the police that I wasn't going to pay and that they should go ahead and file a police report. If the case was ever actually referred to the prosecutor's office, I doubt they would ever take it to court because of lack of evidence and the chain of custody of the wallet could never be established.

Not many tourists due to return home would be brave enough to do that and risk being locked up here pending a court case if they couldn't bail themselves!

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the point is that most of us don't want trouble with the police.

Let's assume I would be in that situation and I would be sure that is a scam. Then what?

Tell the police to f$#% off? Or call a lawyer - if we are lucky enough to know one?

Or maybe just pay 6,000B and learn from that experience?

Personally I wouldn't want to pay 6,000B for nothing and I would try to get out of this without paying. But if they would start to arrest me I would pay just to walk away.

Pay and encourage more of the same .Good thinking

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is good to hear of these scams. Perhaps others in the forum could add more to create a list. I'll kick it off. 

Many places in Thailand will charge you more than locals for the same tourist site.