Can new governor Chadchart bring BTS Skytrain fares down to earth?

snoop1130

6B503AA7-6698-4763-A2F5-640B32B12716.jpeg

Many commuters voted for Chadchart Sittipunt in May’s Bangkok governor election in the hope he would deliver on his vow to cut BTS Skytrain fares sharply. But that is not what the newly elected Chadchart will deliver in the foreseeable future.

“When I said a BTS ride should only cost between 25 and 30 baht, I meant for rides that cover between eight and 11 stations,” Chadchart said. “I don’t think this fare can cover all stations in the system.”

Currently, the maximum fare for a single ride on the Skytrain is 59 baht. Elderly passengers can also claim discounts.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/can-new-governor-chadchart-bring-bts-skytrain-fares-down-to-earth/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Most of the time I find if there's two of us going somewhere it's cheaper, or at least the same price, to take a taxi, with the added benefit of door to door pick up / drop off.  BTS is certainly the preferred option at rush hour though or when it's raining (and invariably flooding) and traffic grinds to a halt

Edited by SooKee

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Elderly passengers can also claim discounts.

As far as I am aware, that is true only for Thais, and outside of peak hours, as the BTS operates a two-tier pricing system. The MRT gives the discount to all nationalities.

I stand to be corrected, but if the BTS does still operate a racist pricing policy then perhaps the new governor might like to have a word on behalf of us aging expats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

60, and yes, for the BTS you have to be Thai

There is a way around this although probably not legal.  Get your wife, gf or some other Thai to buy a senior card for you and to add credit to it.  Keep it hidden when you use it.

7 minutes ago, lujanit said:

There is a way around this although probably not legal.  Get your wife, gf or some other Thai to buy a senior card for you and to add credit to it.  Keep it hidden when you use it.

The problem is that the "concession lamp" on top of the gate lights up and the guards are on the lookout for illegal users of concession (not just elder) cards.

My BTS staff pass puts on the light too and I've been pulled a couple of times "farang cannot have" until I show them the card then it's all smiles, salute and "sorry, sorry".

By the way, the fine is 10 x the maximum fare and the card is confiscated with no refund of any remaining value. Not really worth the risk.