The waning smiles / humor of Farangs.

swissie

in my wife's (Thai) family the ones worth bothering with are not at all materialistic, and care about the family as a whole, and not just themselves, or their part of the greater family.
While the ones that are greedy, selfish, and uncaring, are so shallow that we barely give them the time of day. These people also drink, and gamble a lot, neither of which ever seems to make them happy.

Watching the television deadens the brain.

The idiots lantern is humanitys curse.

I'm watching 'Die Hard 2' at the moment.

Get bored, try it.

This message was brought to you by the Karl Marx walking society.

• Thanks 1

My friend here is always saying this thing is S word, that place is S word, and I'm a C word. He's the funniest friend I've got. 

The world needs to get over themselves. I guess we come from another time/experience. 

Not to worry, we'll be outta here in the next 20 years or so. 

• Like 1

People in bad health, physically, mentally or financially can be expected to not have much of a sense of humor. I keep working on all three to stay cheerful.

I believe it was Churchill who said he was an optimist, because there wasn't much future in the alternative.

• Like 1

For me the same experience in Chiang Mai and many of the older cool guys passed away or left due to both visa, insurance/health and exchange rate issues.

Many younger ones moved for the visa reasons to and now often reside in Bali or Vietnam instead (or move between those and skip Thailand often). 

On top of that many of the cooler guesthouses, restaurants and pubs are gone, I moved down south instead to see what happens and so far that worked out very well. If the to me experienced bad things didn't occur in CM I would never have found what I did now.

I guess that is also a good reason to never buy, you can easily keep moving around if things change over time.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thujone said:

Maybe when they arrived, the party atmosphere they felt they had found in the drinking establishments seemed wonderful, drinking anytime of the day with one or more dusky maidens paying attention and laughing (on cue) at jokes.

But...the exchange rate changed, beer went up in price, bars and bar-goers soon get boring, and fart-breathed females asking you 'Where are you come from?' and 'How long stay Thailan..?' soon gets old.

And they may have been badly stung financially by one of the maidens.

So, stuck for any better plan, they continue, but their depression at the situation they have arrived in shows.

I would think, that the above mentioned points are the reasons that an increasing number of Farangs have lost their sense of humor. No wonder.

• Thanks 1

Have you considered that when you communicate with your pals here in Thailand it is not that they appear to have lost their humour, but the fact that they are depressed as you contacted them  ????????????

How's that for good old British humour ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Excel said:

Have you considered that when you communicate with your pals here in Thailand it is not that they appear to have lost their humour, but the fact that they are depressed as you contacted them  ????????????

Quite the opposite. Ever since I introduced them into international money laundering, tax evasion, human trafficking, drug trafficking all the ponzi schemes known to humans, they are always thrilled to talk to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Quite the opposite. Ever since I introduced them into international money laundering, tax evasion, human trafficking, drug trafficking all the ponzi schemes known to humans, they are always thrilled to talk to me.

When you find out that “someone wants to talk to you”, that is not necessarily positive.

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Poor.

The humourous part would have lain in what you did not say.  A good joke needs to be understood, rather than heard.

2 hours ago, swissie said:

I would think, that the above mentioned points are the reasons that an increasing number of Farangs have lost their sense of humor. No wonder.

Sad, really, but a sense of humour is a fragile thing that can be easily broken.  Back in the day, I went through an unfortunate patch, and it was only when I was told, was I aware that I had lost my sense of humour.

42 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

When you find out that “someone wants to talk to you”, that is not necessarily positive.

Nah. When introducing a new religion (leading straight to Nirvana) or offering someone a unexpected "windfall" profit you will soon have more followers (friends) that you can shake a stick at.

Not happening with my Farang friends in Thailand. They don't look for Nirvana nor windfall profits. They want their pensions to arrive on time.

Some People grow up and change taste for humor, music, food and drinks. Nothing wrong wit that.

Many things I see when meeting up with old friends from school, and surprised they are still stuck in the same pattern as I left them when we where younger. 

I'm the one who should laugh of the same story's the same jokes and gigs? Listen to the same music out of nostalgic reasons?

Hitting the same bar for awhile in Hua Hi, and meet up with the same people, and it was going on repeat as mentioned above.

I do not get the fascination about that pattern. 

I enjoy life, I just do not thrive with living on a constant track from the 80'ies as that was the my time of life, as for many here would be the 70'ies I guess or for some few the 90'ies.

New horizons new life new culture.

In the beginning we were hunters and gatherers. Plenty of space to avoid confrontation, just by moving on.
Then we turned into farmers. Involving "property". Property must be defended, or can be aqired by "warfare". Nothing has changed since then.
--------------------
I never liked this system. So, in my younger years, I applied for permanent residency in the very peaceful  Republic of Bonobos, south of the Kongo river.
As I found out, the immigration requirements for permanent residency in the Republic of the Bonobos, I could not fulfill (having to have sex every 15 minutes, as a minimum requirement).

So I ended up in Thailand, offering slightly less stringent requirements for permanent residence.
And (lo and behold), between 1995 and 2005 Pattaya resembled very much the Bonobo society. Much to my delight.

Newsflash: The Republic of Bonobos has just lowered the requirements for permanent residency: 250 Kilos of bananas will automatically give you a 1 year "non-immigrant visa". Compared to Thailand's "non immigrant visa", quite simple I find. But how does one pack 250 Kilos of bananas in a suitcase?

PS: I mentoned before in a thread of mine, that the I find that the "humor" of Farangs in Thailand is on the decline. This is a humorous comment. I underline this by  ????:clap2:????