Man charged with raping Ohio girl, 10, who was denied abortion

CharlieH

This case gets strangerer and strangerer. According to the Attorney General of Ohio, the girl could have had the procedure done in Ohio, no questions asked. The law permits doctors to perform abortions in cases where the pregnancy could cause injury to the woman/girl. As would obviously be the case here.

The behavior of the family is also really strange.  The Telemundo interview with the victim's mother was creepy, to say the least. It may go far to explain the very strange timeline of events from the assault to reporting it to now.   Seemed as if the alleged rapist was in some sort of relationship with the mother, had some connection with the family, odd odd odd.

https://theohiostar.com/2022/07/19/telemundo-alleged-rapist-of-10-year-old-confirmed-to-be-in-domestic-relationship-with-victims-mother/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

This case gets strangerer and strangerer. According to the Attorney General of Ohio, the girl could have had the procedure done in Ohio, no questions asked. The law permits doctors to perform abortions in cases where the pregnancy could cause injury to the woman/girl. As would obviously be the case here.

The behavior of the family is also really strange.  The Telemundo interview with the victim's mother was creepy, to say the least. It may go far to explain the very strange timeline of events from the assault to reporting it to now.   Seemed as if the alleged rapist was in some sort of relationship with the mother, had some connection with the family, odd odd odd.

https://theohiostar.com/2022/07/19/telemundo-alleged-rapist-of-10-year-old-confirmed-to-be-in-domestic-relationship-with-victims-mother/

Jesus, again attacking the doctor. You know how to pick your sources.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, it's unclear whether the girl could have gotten an abortion in Ohio. The law is ambiguous. And if a doctor in Ohio is adjudged to have run afoul of the law, they could be sentenced to up to 1 year in prison. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/14/what-ohio-law-says-about-10-year-old-rape-victim-abortion/

Not according to the Ohio Attorney General.

But in any case, at least we can agree that the victim needed care, wherever it took place, and can be glad that she got it.  I am frankly worried about the OTHER children that were living in the same household with the accused attacker. Seems like the victim's mother was quite adamant that he hadn't done anything wrong.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Is that also when he questioned whether the rape had happened at all:

Every day that goes by, the more likely that this is a fabrication,” he said on Tuesday. “I’m not saying it could not have happened. What I’m saying to you is there is not a damn scintilla of evidence. And shame on the Indianapolis paper that ran this thing on a single source who has an obvious ax to grind.”

Its a pity he didn't check with his own police department before questioning the rape happened.

Professor of Law and Bioethics Sharona Hoffman from Case Western Reserve University to try and sort this out.

There are concerns about how doctors will be able to treat their patients under this law. Since much of the medical emergency exception is left up to a doctor’s discretion, there’s a gray area. Doctors could face a fifth-degree felony charge if someone questions their decision down the line, putting them in a tough spot.

“They have to engage in a calculus,” Hoffman said. “They have to balance the patient’s best interests against their own best interest and think about whether doing a procedure will result in a risk of prosecution for themselves. And that is very dangerous.”

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Credo said:

Don't  try to confuse what you believe with the law.  The AG, who got it wrong from the start and made disparaging remarks is now to believed that she could have gotten an abortion.  So, how does that work?  Do you take your child to the AG first?  Do medical providers need his consent in writing?  

The AG doubted the story, as did many people. So did I. Tragically, it was true and horrific. Then he gave his position as I stated above.  From what I understand in Ohio, doctors make their own decisions without oversight in these cases.

I notice that you didnt answer my simple question- where do YOU think the law should stand? Knowing that makes it easier for everyone to understand where we are coming from.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Credo said:

Don't  try to confuse what you believe with the law.  The AG, who got it wrong from the start and made disparaging remarks is now to believed that she could have gotten an abortion.  So, how does that work?  Do you take your child to the AG first?  Do medical providers need his consent in writing?  

Correct.

The AG statements after the fact are meaningless, doubly so given faulty assumptions made by the AG in the immediate aftermath.

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Odd? How odd is it for stepfathers to rape their daughters? Hint: it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The AG doubted the story, as did many people. So did I. Tragically, it was true and horrific. Then he gave his position as I stated above.  From what I understand in Ohio, doctors make their own decisions without oversight in these cases.

I notice that you didnt answer my simple question- where do YOU think the law should stand? Knowing that makes it easier for everyone to understand where we are coming from.

Doctors do NOT have oversight.  Here are the reporting requirements:

• 46 states and the District of Columbia require hospitals, facilities and physicians providing abortions to submit regular and confidential reports to the state.
  • 8 states require providers to indicate the method of payment, such as insurance or self-pay, for the procedure.
  • 28 states require providers to report postabortion complications.
  • 16 states require providers to give some information about the patient's reason for seeking the procedure.
    • 10 states ask whether the abortion was performed because of a threat to the patient's health or life.
    • 7 states ask whether the abortion was performed because of rape or incest.
    • 15 states ask whether the abortion was performed because of a diagnosed fetal abnormality.
    • 9 states ask whether the abortion was performed for other reasons (e.g. the patient's economic or familial circumstances).
  • 6 states require providers to report whether the fetus was viable.
  • 14 states require providers to indicate if the state mandates for abortion counseling and parental involvement were satisfied.
    • 9 states require providers to report whether state-mandated counseling was provided.
    • 14 states require providers to report whether state requirements for parental involvement were met.

My opinion on abortion is not a part of this topic and is not something that needs to be discussed.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Not according to the Ohio Attorney General.

But in any case, at least we can agree that the victim needed care, wherever it took place, and can be glad that she got it.  I am frankly worried about the OTHER children that were living in the same household with the accused attacker. Seems like the victim's mother was quite adamant that he hadn't done anything wrong.  

Of course that's what the AG would say now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Credo said:

My opinion on abortion is not a part of this topic and is not something that needs to be discussed.   

Why not? What are you afraid of?  It is illuminating to see where people are coming from when discussing such an important issue. The fact that you are so coy about it speaks volumes about how you see the issue. 

• Like 1

Sadly, even more sordid details about the case are coming out. The suspect was in fact the boyfriend of the victim's mother.  Seems that both are in the US illegally, which may explain the reluctance on the mother's part to report the crime.  The crime took place on May 12 but wasn't reported to police until June 22, and charges laid on July 6. The mother waited until it was certain her daughter was pregnant before reporting it. This makes me think that, if the girl hadn't become pregnant, the mother would have done nothing.

It is common that live-in boyfriends assault the children of the women they are shacking up with.  And the women put up with it for various reasons.  She was already pregnant with the alleged rapist's baby at the time.  If that is the case here, and it seems to be, we can only hope that ALL the children have been removed from the home.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/miacathell/2022/07/21/gerson-fuentes-lourdes-gomez-n2610457

Edited by Hanaguma
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, in the beginning he said the story was a fraud.

As for what he said...

After raising doubts about rape victim, AG’s office won’t say if he supports abortion law

"And since the arrest, Yost has struggled to support his claim on Fox News that under the Ohio law, the 10-year-old could still have gotten an abortion in Ohio. 

By late last week, Yost and his staff not only were still refusing to say how old a girl — or a teen, or a woman — needs to be before the law forces her to have her rapist’s baby. His communications director wouldn’t even say whether the attorney general supports the abortion restrictions he acted with such alacrity to enact less than a month ago."

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2022/07/20/after-raising-doubts-about-rape-victim-ags-office-wont-say-if-he-supports-abortion-law/

In the entire article, I think there is only one actual quote from the AG. It is as I posted previosly- he said;

“Ohio’s heartbeat law has a medical emergency exception,” Yost told Watters. “It’s broader than just the life of the mother. This young girl — if she exists and if this horrible thing actually happened to her, it breaks my heart to think about it — she did not have to leave Ohio to find treatment."

The rest is all innuendo and speculation.

BTW, where do YOU stand on the issue? Not Ohio, but abortion in general.  I have made my position clear. Can you do the same? Others seem reluctant to do so for some reason...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

In the entire article, I think there is only one actual quote from the AG. It is as I posted previosly- he said;

“Ohio’s heartbeat law has a medical emergency exception,” Yost told Watters. “It’s broader than just the life of the mother. This young girl — if she exists and if this horrible thing actually happened to her, it breaks my heart to think about it — she did not have to leave Ohio to find treatment."

The rest is all innuendo and speculation.

BTW, where do YOU stand on the issue? Not Ohio, but abortion in general.  I have made my position clear. Can you do the same? Others seem reluctant to do so for some reason...

And it's clear from the article I cited that Yost refuses to identify what that exception is. It's also obvous that his stance only was made clear after the fact. And the Ohio law allows abortion in the case of a medical condition. But nowhere does it define a medical condition as being 10 years old or any age. Why does Yost refuse to clarify what age would automatically qualify a child to be legally eligible for abortion? Does 11 years old qualify? Yost refuses to say.

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

And it's clear from the article I cited that Yost refuses to identify what that exception is. It's also obvous that his stance only was made clear after the fact. And the Ohio law allows abortion in the case of a medical condition. But nowhere does it define a medical condition as being 10 years old or any age. Why does Yost refuse to clarify what age would automatically qualify a child to be legally eligible for abortion? Does 11 years old qualify? Yost refuses to say.

He probably refuses because people like you will nitpick every syllable to death. He said she wouldn't have had to leave the state. It isn't even clear if the mother even took her daughter to a doctor in Ohio before heading across the border to Indiana.  Hopefully she did, but given what we know she isn't in the running for any "mother of the year" awards.

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sadly, even more sordid details about the case are coming out. The suspect was in fact the boyfriend of the victim's mother.  Seems that both are in the US illegally, which may explain the reluctance on the mother's part to report the crime.  The crime took place on May 12 but wasn't reported to police until June 22, and charges laid on July 6. The mother waited until it was certain her daughter was pregnant before reporting it. This makes me think that, if the girl hadn't become pregnant, the mother would have done nothing.

It is common that live-in boyfriends assault the children of the women they are shacking up with.  And the women put up with it for various reasons.  She was already pregnant with the alleged rapist's baby at the time.  If that is the case here, and it seems to be, we can only hope that ALL the children have been removed from the home.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/miacathell/2022/07/21/gerson-fuentes-lourdes-gomez-n2610457

This info was posted many days ago on this thread if you track back, like then there is no way the mum would have known if her daughter was raped if the then 9 year old had not told her. It’s more plausible that this only came to light when the poor girl started to experience physical pregnancy symptoms a few weeks after the attack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

He probably refuses because people like you will nitpick every syllable to death. He said she wouldn't have had to leave the state. It isn't even clear if the mother even took her daughter to a doctor in Ohio before heading across the border to Indiana.  Hopefully she did, but given what we know she isn't in the running for any "mother of the year" awards.

What's nitpicking about asking for a definitive age that would qualify as a medical condition? You don't think a doctor who's asked to perform an abortion on, say, a 12 year old, has a right to know? 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 1:29 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

By the way.........

There is nothing here that attributes what you say as a quote. Yes, it turns out the underlined portion is a link. But there's nothing that identifies it as such. As far as I could tell, it was nothing more than an underlined sentence, for emphasis.

And since....... as you published it........ it is not identified as someone else's words......... I'd call that plagiarism. 

In my opinion, a hidden attribution........... really isn't one!

This is literature, of a sort, not a video game. We are not pre-conditioned to scroll over all the scenery looking for hidden "jumps" and "rewards!"

Making someone discover your attribution......... is the same as not making one, at all!

Keep digging.

• Confused 1