Rejected at CW

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where is there a security risk that requires ID in buying a local train ticket?

I believe this was about topping up a card account - not buying a ticket.  And believe accounts now fall under very strict money laundering rules, which will prevent even large players like PayPal from operating for those without ID cards.  At least you can still top up with show of passport for this.????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

looks like I'll be going to Danang for 3-4 days

Sorry to hear about all the fuss at immigration.

If you do go it'll be interesting to hear about how it went.  

Um, you don't think CW is trying to drive you towards using a Visa agent.

I have been down this road before with CW for years, exactly the same issue. (and a few more to boot they dropped on me)

No more issues for the last 3 years now, I pay a Visa agent each year and I require less paperwork and have total peace of mind.

Remember, Thailand is driven by the almighty Baht, it speaks all languages and solves all problems.

• Like 2

UPDATE: Went to CW this morning with my fiancée. I think that made all the difference. Without her there, I believe I would not have received the extension.

We went straight to desk 32 and my fiancee showed the IA (Immigration agent) the printout from the Bangkok Bank email and asked if it was OK. The IA mentioned lack of bank stamp on the statement and my fiancée said that was what we received from the bank and if we wanted the stamped version it would take 3-4 days. Then the dates were mentioned. My last extension was on July 20, 2021 and the "12 month" statement started with the balance showing on August 1, 2021. So a missing 9 days. The IA said she would ask her supervisor. Can back and said this time they would issue the extension but next time I need to have the book updated to show 12 months.

Will reply to some of the responses but general notes:

1. I have had over 800K Bhat in this account for over 3 years. 

2. In the past when I did the annual update of the bank book, it always showed all the transactions so a statement wasn't necessary. Just needed the bank letter showing current balance. When I updated this time, it rolled all the previous transactions (which averaged less than 1.5 a month) into 1 line item. 

3. For those who mentioned using a dedicated account with no transactions, are the IAs in CW OK with just 2 lines showing entries 12 months apart?

4. I intend to get my bank book updated every 2-3 months from now on. If it doesn't look right 2 weeks before my extension date, then I'll order the statement from BB

5. I will also look into opening another account at a different bank. With the US dollar being extremely strong, I think its a good time to bring in extra cash because eventually we'll get a reversion to the mean and the exchange rate will drift back down somewhat.

Edited by JerseytoBKK
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

I think that you should give serious consideration to opening an account with another bank for future retirement extensions using the 800k method. Most other banks will issue 12-month statements on the spot (e.g. Kasikorn do as stated above by @Digitalbanana, plus Krungsri as stated by @flexomikeelsewhere). In any event it is IMHO preferable to house the 800k you need for retirement extension purposes in an exclusively separate account (presumably your reference to paying your phone bill from your Bangkok Bank account means that it is your general all-purpose account?).

I rarely use my BB acct. Pay almost everything with Thai Baht using my US based credit cards that do not charge foreign exchange fees. Those cards earn frequent flyer points..

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The mistake some folk make is to not have a dedicated bank account for immigration purposes.

If using account for various transactions the bank can "consolidate" some and in turn the io may demand bank statements.

I use money in bank method for extensions retirement at CW and only provide photocopies of bankbook pages. No statements required. 

This was the first time that BB consolidated 10 months of activity into 1 line item in the 3 years that I have had this account. In the message I just posted, I was curious if an IO would have an issue with just seeing 2 line items 12 months apart. That's the reason that I make very minimal use of that account so it can show that the monthly balance always exceeds 800K.

Just now, JerseytoBKK said:

This was the first time that BB consolidated 10 months of activity into 1 line item in the 3 years that I have had this account. In the message I just posted, I was curious if an IO would have an issue with just seeing 2 line items 12 months apart. That's the reason that I make very minimal use of that account so it can show that the monthly balance always exceeds 800K.

I deal with CW using money in bank. 

I don't touch the account for a year. ....Always only required photocopies of bb pages. 

All that really doesn't matter.

CW allows extensions to be done 45 days prior to POS expiry.

It's stated time and time again to obtain extension early. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cauldlad said:

I have been in discussion with Wise before about this subject and even though you choose the option Funds for Long term stay in Thailand Wise told me they CANNOT guarantee the funds will show as an international transfer as they sometimes use a partner bank in Thailand.

I decided to try it using the correct option and sure enough the funds were in my account within minutes as thay had used a partner bank here, even though a chose the option Funds for Long Term stay in Thailand.

Re 'partner bank'. 

I have 2 X 4 weekly pensions coming into my K Bank savings a/c every 4 weeks. I get an automatic 'Credit Advice' by e.mail from K Bank the same moment the funds are credited to my K Bank savings a/c (also get an instant SMS messsage from K Bank).

The Credit Advice sometimes mentions Citibank. I asked K Bank why sometimes thru Citibank and why not every transaction. K bank Call Centre lady said she didn't know but she asked me to hold the line.  A couple of minutes later she returned to the call.

Seems that when the sender in Australia sends the money there is an instant check about how many transactions (all 100% computerized) are waiting.

If there no long waiting time the transaction goes direct Oz Bank to K Bank, but if there's a waiting time it goes thru Citibank which somehow brings the tranaction back to almost instantaneous. There's a charge on the Credit Advice 70Baht.

20 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

I was told at the branch where I opened the account (Sukhumvit 43) that even if I went to corporate headquarters here in Bangkok that they couldn't do it faster. Even asked if they could write that they couldn't produce the statement within 2 days but no luck.

Sorry for your situation.

For the next time, get an account with Krungsri Bank.

Krungsri can print 12 months statement while you wait.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I tried this with KBank at CW, showed them my color prints of 12 months statements I made from online app, and was told the bank would not sign any of that. Only a statement made by them can be signed. Makes sense (if I think like a Thai) as its an extra 200THB service fee for them and no chance of a falsified online statement from me to be checked in detail.

I have since got a dedicated savings account for Immigration so will just use bank book copies in future approved with bank letter, with no need for statements.

Don't be surprised if you still get asked for statements. When passbooks are updated they do not update transaction by transaction, they just total the deposits total the withdrawals since the last update. The statements are to show that you've met the seasoning  requirements, viz. 3 months after and then 2 months prior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

3. For those who mentioned using a dedicated account with no transactions, are the IAs in CW OK with just 2 lines showing entries 12 months apart?

Yes, but it will be more than two lines. There will be two entries for interest every six months, two more for WHT every six months (unless you can avoid it somehow) and on the day you extend you are supposed to make a small deposit and maybe withdrawal in the account as well?

3 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Don't be surprised if you still get asked for statements. When passbooks are updated they do not update transaction by transaction, they just total the deposits total the withdrawals since the last update. The statements are to show that you've met the seasoning  requirements, viz. 3 months after and then 2 months prior.

You mean on a dedicated account for immigration with only interest payments for whole year the bank book rolls all this into one if updating the book once a year?

Just now, Digitalbanana said:

You mean on a dedicated account for immigration with only interest payments for whole year the bank book rolls all this into one if updating the book once a year?

exactly. That kind of updating process will not show that you still have the 800k in the bank 3 months after your extension is processed, and it will not show that you have it 2 months prior to the next extension. The passbook has zero history between updates, just all the transactions lumped together. I have a dedicated passbook for Immigration and fell foul of this very early on, even before the current rule of 3 months after came into effect. So every year I print my own statements, in colour, and have the bank stamp and sign the page relevant to the month I'm doing my extension. Don't get charged a fee, and Immigration have always accepted. The thing to remember is that Immigration cannot tell the difference between a statement issued by the bank or one that you print yourself, if you print in colour, as they are identical in appearance, and the stamp and signature make it look like the bank has issued it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Your mistake was to apply too late. TiT,  rules can be interpreted differently by different IOs and different provinces.  Expect not to be able to make it through in one shot and to be turned back to bring something else.

I'm a Bangkok bank customer and got my extension with the 800k baht method producing only 6 months statement, plus bank book. However as the bank book had the last transaction a week ago, I was told to go back and deposit 100 baht and update my bank book, to show the sum is still there. Had around 1.5 mil baht in the account and it was pretty obvious the account had normal activity.

Next year I'm sure they'll turn me back for something else so will apply at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cauldlad said:

I have been in discussion with Wise before about this subject and even though you choose the option Funds for Long term stay in Thailand Wise told me they CANNOT guarantee the funds will show as an international transfer as they sometimes use a partner bank in Thailand.

I decided to try it using the correct option and sure enough the funds were in my account within minutes as thay had used a partner bank here, even though a chose the option Funds for Long Term stay in Thailand.

Haven't used Wise in almost year. If US citizen, use MoneyGram. If not in any rush, that is. They are SLOW. Takes a full 5 business days, but net rate is better than Wise (if diligent) and transfers here always show as international transfer. They also have a limited number of recognized US banks, but lucky one of mine was on the list. 

58 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I was told to go back and deposit 100 baht and update my bank book, to show the sum is still there.

Actually there should be no need for deposit using your Bangkok Bank Passbook as they will update without transaction.  

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually there should be no need for deposit using your Bangkok Bank Passbook as they will update without transaction.  

Many years back (think it was my first extension) ...at CW the immigration officer wanted to see "activity " on day of application.

Explained that this meant small deposit/withdrawal.

When I obtain bank letter at bank CW, I hand over 200baht.

The clerk knows 100 is for bank letter and 100 deposit into the account.

I also ask her to make photocopy of this last page.

Obviously the deposit is done prior to bank letter so they match. 

Getting back to the topic. The problem of not being able to get a 12 month statement immediately, seems to exist only with the Bangkok Bank. It doesn't seem to be a problem at other Banks.
Didn't they used to have people who were on this forum, and helped people? Are they still around?
Perhaps if enough Bangkok Bank account holders complain to them, either in person at the Bank, or through their call centre, they will update their procedures.
I saw somewhere that a TV member had got a 6 month statement, for the first 6 months of the year, (which Bangkok Bank do supply immediately), then followed that up 6 months later with a statement for the second 6 months, and took them together to Immigration. Would that work? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Didn't they used to have people who were on this forum, and helped people? Are they still around?

Not suggesting that I'm one of those...

However the recommendation of using a dedicated bank account for immigration purposes has been mentioned many times.

Banks can/do consolidate transactions.

Again mentioned many times.

Finally anyone applying for extension with days left is asking for issues.

The OP deals with CW and that office allows applications up to 45 days early. 

Poor planning by the OP on various fronts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not suggesting that I'm one of those...

However the recommendation of using a dedicated bank account for immigration purposes has been mentioned many times.

Banks can/do consolidate transactions.

Again mentioned many times.

Finally anyone applying for extension with days left is asking for issues.

The OP deals with CW and that office allows applications up to 45 days early. 

Poor planning by the OP on various fronts.

Did you bother to read my post? I didn't mention any of the items you "replied" to. 

2 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Did you bother to read my post? I didn't mention any of the items you "replied" to. 

Yep read it. 

Found most of it irrelevant.

The issue of time delay for 12 months of bank statements has been discussed often. 

Specifically Bangkok Bank has been mentioned.

Also issue if you opened account eg Bangkok and are doing extensions elsewhere. 

I keep finding it strange that you can get the 12-month statement on your mobile app within 5 minutes and must wait for few days when visiting the local branch.

I would still pay the 200 baht and wait 5 minutes to get the printed statement if they could get it while I wait at the branch.

However, it is what it is, and I now request the 12-month statement from the branch a week before I go to immigration. The bank calls me when they have received the statement and it is ready to collect.

Next day I go to immigration. No stress. No worries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resident Alien said:

Next day I go to immigration. No stress. No worries.

Except most immigration offices now want you to make reservations in advance - this year obtained bank statement June 10 for June 22 immigration and no issues (was using income and June deposits on statement and passbook up to date).

13 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

I saw somewhere that a TV member had got a 6 month statement, for the first 6 months of the year, (which Bangkok Bank do supply immediately), then followed that up 6 months later with a statement for the second 6 months, and took them together to Immigration. Would that work? 

Certainly that's what I did with no problem at my local office (Rayong) when using the 65k monthly income method. Not sure whether this approach would necessarily work, though, in the case of the 800k method where offices specifically require statements in addition to passbooks (Rayong don't) - don't recall any specific reports on here one way or the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Except most immigration offices now want you to make reservations in advance

Acccording to various reports on here that I can recall, only CW appears to make use of the online booking system - provincial offices seem to ignore its existence entirely!