Royal Imprint on Thailand’s Christian Community

snoop1130

for a piece on Catholic in Thailand this long and yet fail to mention the massacre of the Thai Matyrs in 1940, later beatified and a very recent dark past about how accepting the Thai public really are to 'western' ideals is negligent

Edited by digbeth
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's a shame that the Church of England wasn't the branch of Christianity that went out and took over so many societies.  I think things would have been a little better.

Probably not with Henry as their moral inspiration.

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Lots of people say that religion has caused more deaths, more wars etc than anything else. If we didn't have any religions what would people kill each other over??

Online posts?  ????

16 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Not many people seem to know this, but the LM laws cover the Pope, as well as all other Monarchs worldwide. This seems to be mostly unknown, though it is plainly outlined in the law. Comments?  I didn’t think so. ????

I didn't know that. 

How many prosecutions have there in those circumstances? The answer to that might give a clue to how much interest there is. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's a shame that the Church of England wasn't the branch of Christianity that went out and took over so many societies.  I think things would have been a little better.

Not as many p e d o priests.

22 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Well, what many forget is that pretty much everything is subjective other than mathematical/scientific fact etc., even then it is up for review/discussion... that's why there is so much discourse and hate in the world, because of the "I'm right and you aren't" sort of nonsense.

So many topics are subjective, from fashion, beauty, or music to right/wrong/good/bad and we can't all be right. There is no such thing as good/bad music or some woman that is more beautiful or not... it's simply subject as we all like different things/styles (and it's a good job too). The truth is an elusive concept and is, in my opinion, rather simple... it's how it's interpreted that messes everything up because of people's wants or insecurities so they can get a good bead on things and operate in their bubbles.

I remember two things from Lucas' Star Wars movies that are very pertinent... one is when Yoda say "Emotion is the future" when Luke leaves to save his friends, as emotion makes you act if it is important enough for you, hence making situations happen, or creating the future. Secondly, when Obi-one says to Luke regarding Vader being his father and what he told him was true from a certain point of view, then Luke says "From a certain point of view" and Obi-one says "Many of the truths we cling on to are only true from a certain point of view". This is very true, as what you believe defines who you are and what you stand for... but it doesn't make it true, as even though I probably hold many beliefs in common with many of you, there is a massive section of the world's population that that think I'm wrong and the deviant. We can't all be right now, can we?

Like I said, it's all subjective and "the truth" is a very vague concept... probably no more than a certain given set of happenings at a set time to be interpreted by whoever so as to justify their existence and bring some order to the chaos that surrounds us.

I think that our whole existence is governed by polarity and so must be relative. This is because our very World is constructed on mathematical rules of polarity and opposition, e.g., North,South, East and West, Night and day, Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn, etc.  And we are, in fact all of life is constructed in the same way. All our physical, emotional, psychological experience e.g., male, female, love, hate, Good and bad, Sickness and wellness, up and down, high or depressed, drunk or hung over, Left and Right, truth and lies, peace and war, is governed by polarity & opposition. This is why there is, and has always been so much argument, schism and conflict in our personal lives and all of human existence and history. And actually It is perfectly natural. Nature wants conflict because Natural Selection depends on it. Just as a coloured photo can be reduced to black and white, so can our whole existence. I always say that everything is what it is only in relation to what it isnt. Nothing can exist without it's opposite.  Perfection cannot exist without imperfection, so I think that we waste our lives in pursuit of it and absolute truth. Ironically the Christian Cross can be seen as a really good symbol of this. We are in life unable to escape this law of polarity and opposition so are literally crucified by existence.

13 hours ago, kimamey said:

I didn't know that. 

How many prosecutions have there in those circumstances? The answer to that might give a clue to how much interest there is. 

None, that I know of. I just thought it was interesting. The deeper you look into Thai law, the more interesting things you find.  The “theft by night” law, for instance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

None, that I know of. I just thought it was interesting. The deeper you look into Thai law, the more interesting things you find.  The “theft by night” law, for instance.

The LM laws are somewhat flexible anyway depending on who it's being used against.

I've never heard of the "theft by night" law either but I've just looked it up. Mind you there are weird laws in many countries that aren't always used and are often very old.