We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years

webfact

40 minutes ago, SatEng said:

It will be economics rather than policies which will win out in the long run - policies - taxes and subsidies - can only nudge in the near-term.

When it is more economic to build a solar plant or wind farm for the same amount of energy as drilling oils wells or building a new coal mine then the change will occur

Well, solar and wind already are cheaper than coal. Even back when the price of coal was depressed. And when gas prices were low, batteries were already cheaper than gas peaker plants. At current prices for natural gas, solar and wind are cheaper. It's also useful to point out that fossil fuels are highly subsidized. About 6% if global GDP. Most of that subsidy comes in the form of health care costs born by others.

• Haha 1

The world has always gone through cycles of cooling and warming. If as is predicted in many millions of years from now the earth will be swallowed up by the sun doesnt that indicate that albeit very slow, the earth is getting ever so slightly closer to the sun. The sun is hot so you would expect warming of the earth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I thought they changed satellites and measuring methods ever 5 years or so?

If it were the same satellite measuring the temperatures for the pasts 30 years I'd be more confident in the results.

As for long term past temperatures, I can remember a summer in the 1970s that was so hot you could shovel ladybirds out of the roads. Not to mention every summer holiday was 6-8 weeks of blistering heat on the south coast of England.

I suggest you read up on ‘Calibration to Primary Standards’, then let SatEng explain to you how it is applied to remote sensing.

In the 1970s UK weather was hot, and on June 1 1975 the cricket was snowed off in Derby.

The temperature yesterday was the highest ever recorded. This coming after a long period of drought, crop yields in the part of the UK are down 20% and harvesting of grains in weeks earlier than normal.

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm clever enough to know someone claiming to use the same measuring equipment in satellites over the past 30 years is a liar.

You may be clever enough for that. But are you clever enough to understand that instrumentation keeps on improving? Or do you believe that progress stopped after the invention of the magnifying glass?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I just don't believe you!

I can't buy any scientific measuring equipment today, that was on sale 30 years ago.

The standards against which instruments are calibrated haven’t changed for decades, most for well over a hundred years.

1DegC has always been 1DegC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The standards against which instruments are calibrated haven’t changed for decades, most for well over a hundred years.

1DegC has always been 1DegC.

You are correct - and we prefer to work in Kelvin

On-board the satellites the instruments are constantly calibrated against black-bodies - areas looking at deep space to give an accurate temperature basis - the instruments are also cryogenically or mechanically cooled to ensure no conductive radiated heat from the rest of the spacecraft

On ground - and what I was responsible for - the instruments were verified and calibrated to ensure that they were accurate in orbit - so I know for a fact that the raw data is accurate

Edited by SatEng
typo
  • Like 1

Temperature in UK reached 40.3C in Lincolnshire yesterday. Heathrow 40.2C and Charlwood Surrey 39.9C. Too hot for us 'oldies' as it was impossible to keep indoors cool !!!! Very pleased to see cooler days for the rest of this week.

How much global change has been caused by China & India burning fossil fuels and nations sending rockets through the ozone layer into space?

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve got nothing but crack-pot conspiracy and scientific ignorance.

And yet ......... I was a scientist working for the British government.

What's your degree in Chomper, old chap?

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And yet ......... I was a scientist working for the British government.

What's your degree in Chomper, old chap?

Since you've nominated yourself as an expert, what was your field and qualifications?

1 minute ago, SatEng said:

There are various solar activity cycles - varying the electromagnetic and thermal outputs

The shortest is an 11-year cycle

Then there are 50-60 year cycles (Kondatiev)

70-100 year cycles (Gleissberg)

and further cycles including 110-year, 221 year, 331 year etc. up to 884 years

All have to be taken into account but none of them are significant when compared to the anthropogenic changes of the last 250 years

I asked for a link to your claim that the solar flares constantly affect the Earth's weather..

Edited by ozimoron

4 minutes ago, SatEng said:

There are various solar activity cycles - varying the electromagnetic and thermal outputs

The shortest is an 11-year cycle

Then there are 50-60 year cycles (Kondatiev)

70-100 year cycles (Gleissberg)

and further cycles including 110-year, 221 year, 331 year etc. up to 884 years

All have to be taken into account but none of them are significant when compared to the anthropogenic changes of the last 250 years

The eleven year solar cycle was very weakly correlated with temperature up until about 1975. At that point something stronger overwhelmed that correlation. Namely, the forcing effect of greenhouse gases.

• Like 1

You squabbling young pups don't know how good you have it now. But you've missed a lot too.

My first trip to Pattaya was exactly 126,782 years ago. None of the fine Thai wenches wore clothes then. Now, before you get all hot and sweaty let me tell you why. Cloth hadn't been invented. Ha, ha, got you there:-) What they did wear was animal skin, mostly giant beaver hide, around their waists. And the fancy gals, who made the most stones  (currency of the time) would sling a mammoth stole over their shoulders. They were the ones who had their own equus giganteus to ride too. Quite a dashing shape they cut as they came to work.

Gogos had poles but they weren't steel like now. That stuff hadn't been invented yet. What they did was plant a small sturdy tree, like a dwarf oak, in the middle of the bar. And the gals would climb and pose on the branches. The branches reached around the cave and sometimes the gal would be right on top of you and her skin would "accidentally" slip off. Ah, memories.

Beer hadn't been invented either, which <deleted> us off, but we made do with fermented aurochs milk. 

Most of the crowd in the bars were Viking lads. Horny thugs always looking for a fight they were.

I used to stay at the Hilton Holes in a Hill which is exactly what the rooms were. But they were comfortable with a stream running down next to each so you and your woman could step out and wash yourselves after the deed.

And tell you what we never had boring missionary sex those days. You know why? Because religion hadn't been invented. Ha, ha, got you there. Most of the nasty was done standing because you didn't want to be on the mud floors or cold rocks.

And it was very cool then, even in July in Thailand. You had to be a hairy Neanderthal or a well-covered Denisovan to get around. Still, it was the weather that attracted tourists like me. If the currents were right I would come over from Gondwana on a log raft every April and return four months later when the currents turned.

29 minutes ago, sherlockh said:

Temperature in UK reached 40.3C in Lincolnshire yesterday. Heathrow 40.2C and Charlwood Surrey 39.9C. Too hot for us 'oldies' as it was impossible to keep indoors cool !!!! Very pleased to see cooler days for the rest of this week.

How much global change has been caused by China & India burning fossil fuels and nations sending rockets through the ozone layer into space?

Well, since China and India have only recently industrialized, most of the increase in CO2 is due to nations that developed earlier.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

The world has always gone through cycles of cooling and warming. If as is predicted in many millions of years from now the earth will be swallowed up by the sun doesnt that indicate that albeit very slow, the earth is getting ever so slightly closer to the sun. The sun is hot so you would expect warming of the earth.

On the one hand you claim that "The world has always gone through cycles of cooling and warming." On the other  "The sun is hot so you would expect warming of the earth."  Make up your mind.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Why Me said:

You squabbling young pups don't know how good you have it now. But you've missed a lot too.

My first trip to Pattaya was exactly 126,782 years ago. None of the fine Thai wenches wore clothes then. Now, before you get all hot and sweaty let me tell you why. Cloth hadn't been invented. Ha, ha, got you there:-) What they did wear was animal skin, mostly giant beaver hide, around their waists. And the fancy gals, who made the most stones  (currency of the time) would sling a mammoth stole over their shoulders. They were the ones who had their own equus giganteus to ride too. Quite a dashing shape they cut as they came to work.

Gogos had poles but they weren't steel like now. That stuff hadn't been invented yet. What they did was plant a small sturdy tree, like a dwarf oak, in the middle of the bar. And the gals would climb and pose on the branches. The branches reached around the cave and sometimes the gal would be right on top of you and her skin would "accidentally" slip off. Ah, memories.

Beer hadn't been invented either, which <deleted> us off, but we made do with fermented aurochs milk. 

Most of the crowd in the bars were Viking lads. Horny thugs always looking for a fight they were.

I used to stay at the Hilton Holes in a Hill which is exactly what the rooms were. But they were comfortable with a stream running down next to each so you and your woman could step out and wash yourselves after the deed.

And tell you what we never had boring missionary sex those days. You know why? Because religion hadn't been invented. Ha, ha, got you there. Most of the nasty was done standing because you didn't want to be on the mud floors or cold rocks.

And it was very cool then, even in July in Thailand. You had to be a hairy Neanderthal or a well-covered Denisovan to get around. Still, it was the weather that attracted tourists like me. If the currents were right I would come over from Gondwana on a log raft every April and return four months later when the currents turned.

126,782 years ago, and the girls still tell you "not so old"?

Edited by SatEng

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought they changed satellites and measuring methods ever 5 years or so?

If it were the same satellite measuring the temperatures for the pasts 30 years I'd be more confident in the results.

As for long term past temperatures, I can remember a summer in the 1970s that was so hot you could shovel ladybirds out of the roads. Not to mention every summer holiday was 6-8 weeks of blistering heat on the south coast of England.

Oh dear the already widely debunked “1976 was hot too” argument. Heat maps of the planet then and now show that the situation caused by man made climate change is much worse now. Unless governments act now the changes will become irreversible. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Why Me said:

My first trip to Pattaya was exactly 126,782 years ago. None of the fine Thai wenches wore clothes then.

Don't need to go back that far, as they were walking around topless just a few decades ago.

Even heard of one bloke, having a party for his dog, almost recently, and his wife was walking around topless.????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

As long as China burns more fossil fuel than any other nation— the trajectory won’t change.

The largest country in the world burns the most fossil fuels. I'm shocked. China ranks very low on the per capita emissions list.

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-per-capita/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

On the one hand you claim that "The world has always gone through cycles of cooling and warming." On the other  "The sun is hot so you would expect warming of the earth."  Make up your mind.

They are both explanations, maybe you didnt realise that