We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years

webfact

6 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I guess there must have been a lot of pollution 125000 years ago, because according to the 'experts' that is the reason for the climate change.

I think you’ll find the scientific research has shown greenhouse gases are the cause of man made climate change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From below quote, it is clear that the current temperatures are way below those of even 62 years ago, yet they claim it to be the hottest ever. :whistling:

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The hottest day ever in Thailand was on April 28th, 2016, in Muang district of the northern province of Mae Hong Son, when the temperature recorded at 44.6C. 

Other record hot days in Thailand were as follows: April 28th, 1960, in the north-eastern province of Udon Thani, 43.9oC. May 22nd, 1983 in Bangkok, 40.8C.

This week the average midday temperatures were 37 degrees.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

It isn't China that claimed this figure. Your response is trite and off topic.

Such an intelligent comment. Have you tried reading by any chance? If so just keep on trying and you may one day get the hang of it.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Seriously we weren't then but analysis of the the ratios of different water isotopes in ice cores can be used to determine historical temperatures. 

Which ice cores they analysed in Thailand - Australia or the UK?

7 hours ago, pmarlin said:

"We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years, according to the UN's climate science body, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)." I know this is made up bull and that makes the entire article a joke.

No joke.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I only have the right to live in England.

So the rest of the world doesn't really concern me.

I also don't like the temperature and climate of England.

If I thought I could warm it up a bit, I'd do everything in my power to achieve that aim.

Burp and fart more, dare ya! ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, connda said:

I know how to solve it all.

First, tax the commoners into poverty with 'carbon' taxes.
Second, destroy the supply chains for food and start starving the commoners.
Third, start a world war.  If enough carbon and methane producing humans can't be culled - they go to nukes.
Once out of the nuclear bunkers, the world will be "Wilded" with radioactive resistant plants and animals. 
Hope that radioactive resistant humans are not waiting at the doors of the bunkers when these change agents exit their bunkers. 

You forgot Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, orchidfan said:

We're in the middle of.one now called the Holocene Epoch. 

People who talk about climate change need to look back 3 billion years , not 125000 yrs. 

I have to stop you there. An epoch is the second smallest geochronologic unit of time. We are all currently in the  Holocene Epoch, which began about 11,700 years ago, coincident with the end of the last ice age.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Why Me said:

You squabbling young pups don't know how good you have it now. But you've missed a lot too.

My first trip to Pattaya was exactly 126,782 years ago. None of the fine Thai wenches wore clothes then. Now, before you get all hot and sweaty let me tell you why. Cloth hadn't been invented. Ha, ha, got you there:-) What they did wear was animal skin, mostly giant beaver hide, around their waists. And the fancy gals, who made the most stones  (currency of the time) would sling a mammoth stole over their shoulders. They were the ones who had their own equus giganteus to ride too. Quite a dashing shape they cut as they came to work.

Gogos had poles but they weren't steel like now. That stuff hadn't been invented yet. What they did was plant a small sturdy tree, like a dwarf oak, in the middle of the bar. And the gals would climb and pose on the branches. The branches reached around the cave and sometimes the gal would be right on top of you and her skin would "accidentally" slip off. Ah, memories.

Beer hadn't been invented either, which <deleted> us off, but we made do with fermented aurochs milk. 

Most of the crowd in the bars were Viking lads. Horny thugs always looking for a fight they were.

I used to stay at the Hilton Holes in a Hill which is exactly what the rooms were. But they were comfortable with a stream running down next to each so you and your woman could step out and wash yourselves after the deed.

And tell you what we never had boring missionary sex those days. You know why? Because religion hadn't been invented. Ha, ha, got you there. Most of the nasty was done standing because you didn't want to be on the mud floors or cold rocks.

And it was very cool then, even in July in Thailand. You had to be a hairy Neanderthal or a well-covered Denisovan to get around. Still, it was the weather that attracted tourists like me. If the currents were right I would come over from Gondwana on a log raft every April and return four months later when the currents turned.

Rubbish. The go go bars used banana trees! Gotcha there Barney.

Science is what allows us to understand how processes on this planet work, and why even life as we know it can exist. Unfortunately half the posters on here continually demonstrate by their scientific knowledge why trying to stop the current global warming is a mammoth task.

Climate is indeed a very complex system, requiring knowledge of astrophysics, physics, geology, chemistry, biology, meteorology and mathematics at a minimum to understand it - no-one individual knows everything. It is also a dynamic system so is constantly changing. BUT we do know enough to say that rising CO2 levels WILL cause warming.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, peterfranks said:

From below quote, it is clear that the current temperatures are way below those of even 62 years ago, yet they claim it to be the hottest ever. :whistling:

For Thailand, maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterfranks said:

Mainly Antarctica and Greenland, supported by younger data from lower latitude alpine regions.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

You don't need to use ice cores when in an area that has none in fact just as accurate can be fossils, rocks, isotopes in the sea water, sediment at the bottom of the sea bed. Measuring past climates is complex but with many proxy methods:

https://realonomics.net/what-can-fossils-tell-us-about-past-climates/#How_do_we_know_about_past_climates

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2018/03/23/heres-how-scientists-reconstruct-earths-past-climates/

"Yearly banding is also found in fossilised corals and lake sediment deposits, and each band has a specific chemistry that reflects the temperature when it formed. Growth rings in tree trunks can be wider or thinner depending on the climate at the time of growth, so fossilised trees can reveal the length of growing seasons. And fossilised or frozen pollen grains allow scientists to determine what plants were growing in the past, which can give us a good idea of the climate at the time.

Marine sediment cores provide temperature records spanning millions of years. They contain the fossilised shells of tiny marine creatures that preserve a chemical record of the sea temperature when they lived."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/mar/07/past-climate-temperature-proxies

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

While I can’t say for certain how they are used, ice cores are frequently taken from permafrost layers in the English Lake District and parts of Scotland.

I have seen ice cores being extracted just north of Lake Windermere and also in the Cairngorms.

There are numerous areas of Subterranean ice in the UK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

While I can’t say for certain how they are used, ice cores are frequently taken from permafrost layers in the English Lake District and parts of Scotland.

I have seen ice cores being extracted just north of Lake Windermere and also in the Cairngorms.

There are numerous areas of Subterranean ice in the UK.

Like Middlesboro?

10 hours ago, peterfranks said:

Seriously?  Are you unaware that liquids and gases mix very well?  That's why when your doctor needs to take a blood sample he doesn't take many samples from different parts of your body.

CO2 concentrations are uniform around the world outside of plumes from fires, factories, volcanoes and other isolated sources of CO2.  That has always been true.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1