You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Chance are the average Somchai household has 3 generations living there, don't drink 5 large beers in an overpriced tourist / expat bar every night, or need a happy massage every few days, or daily on the cheap.

Actually same as most expats, living thrifty, except for the multi generation thingy.  But then the thread wouldn't be interesting.

Getting drunk in a bar every night with daily happy massage ... yea, that's believable.

Yeah I think you are right that's the problem. For a balanced happy life 50k is more than enough. Of course if you want to use Thailand like Jordan Belfort used America it's never gonna be enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

God bless those that can on 50 k.

A proper plan would be to save and invest during your life so that you have little financial concerns and don´t have to count your pennies when older.  

Not many mention things like insurance costs.

100 k seems about right for a very fulfilling lifestyle here.

show us how you breakdown your 100k?

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

God bless those that can on 50 k.

A proper plan would be to save and invest during your life so that you have little financial concerns and don´t have to count your pennies when older.  

Not many mention things like insurance costs.

100 k seems about right for a very fulfilling lifestyle here.

1. Most of us didn't plan for divorce. Without divorce i would have been living in a large house in the UK with a pension of 35,000 GBP/year.

2. Insurance costs, I don't have any beyond that required by the government and bank. I'm OK with dying when my time comes (not long now).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The OP is a retiree. Who in their right mind would retire to Bangkok? In the heist and other movies the protagonists retire sipping cocktails at a tropical beach.

I'm retired and living in Bangkok and having a great time, wouldn't live anywhere else. tropical beaches aren't the be-all and end-all. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm retired and living in Bangkok and having a great time, wouldn't live anywhere else. tropical beaches aren't the be-all and end-all. 

I would prefer the beaches than the dusty, crowded streets of Bangkok. ???? Alas, being in rice land I have neither! ☹️

Edited by Chris.B
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

50k a month? nice part of Bangkok isnt the centre mate!  I rent a 3 bed house in a nice quiet village in the burbs for 19k, only 20mins on my motorcycle through traffic to ThongLor.

Dont have to count the pennies but Id be surprised if I spend much more than 50k a month.

Making it rain for bar girls/boys is not my thing at all, the same old dregs in the same old bars doesnt get me going, I ll stick with my boring lifestyle thanks.

nah the centre's where it's at but if you're happy in the burbs then good for you. I did my time in that purgatory whilst working back in farangland. never again. 

as for your second paragraph, sounds like you're in God's waiting room already. enjoy ????

The heading is: "You still think you can live on less than 50k a month?"............

Well to be honest, I never thought that I could!!

I budgeted for twice that amount before I moved here, and I am there or thereabout at the moment, and would be well under if not for the price of my red wine.

I don't eat out much, as I enjoy cooking at home, and I do cook some Thai food as well as Indian, French and Italian, so my cooking "skills" (and I use the word skills lightly) suit my needs, with the occasional meal out at a friends restaurant.

When I read forums like this I really do wonder how people manage, and good on them if they can, but not for me I'm afraid.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

There are loads and loads of Karaoke bars out in the sticks of Isaan catering to the men seeking company.

Unfortunately, being married I cannot try them. ????

Trying to communicate with some bar girl from Myanmar must be fun? ????

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I would prefer the beaches than the dusty, crowded streets of Bangkok. ???? Alas, being in rice land I have neither! ☹️

hey man if you're happy eating bugs 'n grubs out in the boonies then more power to you. but I'm into Wagyu steak and fine wine so Bangkok is where I'll be for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't need the EV car either, but will last her 20+ yrs, at minimal operating cost.

How can you possibly know that ?

Edited by seedy
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Unfortunately, being married I cannot try them. ????

Trying to communicate with some bar girl from Myanmar must be fun? ????

Well the ones i've seen and attempted to talk to are Thais but you're right very few speak or understand English but you do get the occasional ex Pattaya/Bangkok BG whose got fed up with the life in the cities and return to where they're happy but wish to continue with their previous lifestyle.

6 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well the ones i've seen and attempted to talk to are Thais but you're right very few speak or understand English but you do get the occasional ex Pattaya/Bangkok BG whose got fed up with the life in the cities and return to where they're happy but wish to continue with their previous lifestyle.

Get fed up with not earning enough money to survive due to them getting older, customers get fewer and fewer and guys buying them drinks get less and less and they never did find a felang to get married to and they end up going back to their village and servicing locals 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, seedy said:

How can you possibly know that ?

Easy ... Because I know how much she'll be driving it and how long it should last.  That's not rocket science. 2+2 still equals 4.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

OP, how about sharing the breakdown of your 80k a month budget ?  

I haven't moved here yet /Pattaya 

But the last few weeks here have given me more insight.

Groceries,I have been eating out and buying at 711 a lot,I won't be able to do that if I lived here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

I live well under 50k THB a month.  More like 40K THB. We own our own home and are debt free other than monthly credit card debt which I pay off the same month I incur the debt - basically buying things from the US with a credit card.

Now, just because I live on less than 50K THB a month doesn't mean that all my money is tied up in living expenses.  My core expenses with utilities and food probably don't amount to 20K THB a month.  All the extra disposable income gets banked or invested. 

People who love writing about stuff like this are doing little but trying to compare d*** sizes and claiming yours is bigger than mine.  It juvenile.  Even with inflation setting in, people like myself can live an extremely rich and full life on very little. 
I don't need to drive a status symbol, or own a house the size of an apartment building (I've rented from people whose living spaces were a large as the the four story apartment building with 30 apartments that their mansion was attached to, I don't need Gucci, I don't buy useless status c**p like bling for myself (I've bought bling for my significant other).

Bottom like.  You can still live for well under 50K, or 40K, or 30K.  Comfortably. 
I don't need a 20 million THB estate in a gated community or a stable of luxury cars.  Or a mia noi. 

For those who can't cut it on 50K.  Too bad.  You should reassess you priorities imho.  :thumbsup:

But what city are you in