You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

For those of you saying your living on less than 30k a month etc in a small room and your happy ,?

Look if you have to live in a 3x5 metre 4k a month studio then I understand,it's not by choice and maybe you can be happy, but is it quality of life ?

By yourself in a small studio 

live, of course.   20,000 probably to LIVE>

Live in the Falang sense, NO.   Not in a big city.   Then you have put yourself int he land of the third-world.   

Have respect for yourself, not deep down.  Not living poor.   It means you can't afford to do what most falangs can do.

When I was 25, I was living on 130,000 baht a month (USD conversion).  What is a good lifestyle?  No, but acceptable for falang.

Then it went to 200,000, sometimes 300,000 a month.  Was I rich?  Absolutely not.  middle-class.

Yes, you can live and survive.   But there will be a mental toll; regardless if you want to believe there is or not.    

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

China has no track record in terms of after-sales service, spares availability, and honoring warranty claims.

It's great to buy a new vehicle that is priced competitively, and that's why the Chinese products are selling well in Thailand. The acid test will come when the vehicles are out of warranty. If something goes wrong and the brand decides to throw their customers under a bus to save money or make more, there is not much buyers can do.

MG ZS EV on the market in 2022 - no record.

Here is a good website for the Pros -

https://www.identifix.com/

'The NEW MG ZS EV is available in the D and X model and will be officially debut on 22 March at the 43rd Bangkok International Motor Show'

https://www.mgcars.com/en/NewsActivities/Detail/New-MG-ZS-EV-Launch-2022

Where I get my cars serviced there is a customer who has an MG - been waiting over 3 months for parts. So they do have a track record - a bad one.

You can sprinkle fairy dust all over your choice of a car, but without any long term owners survey or input from organizations that assist professional mechanics on what fails, what to replace, and the cost of said components you are just guessing.

Notice the word "SHOULD" in all those rose tinted examples

Edited by seedy

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

For those of you saying your living on less than 30k a month etc in a small room and your happy ,?

Look if you have to live in a 3x5 metre 4k a month studio then I understand,it's not by choice and maybe you can be happy, but is it quality of life ?

By yourself in a small studio 

Seems to me you're just making excuses for not retiring. It's a scary thing walking away from making decent money and quit your job. Retirement isn't for everyone. I retired almost 3 yrs ago, thanks to exchange rate I'm getting 100K/mo. Home paid for as are my 2 vehicles and MC. Got an old lady and a kid. Home improvements, tires, insurance and service for vehicles, school fees come out of another fund. I can blow through 100K/mo just living.

It's all relative. My money is spent on family. As a single guy 50K/mo would be easy and I'd consider it a good life. Once you settle down here you stop ringing the bell every night. For me a good day is an ice chest with a few beers and a doobie on the beach.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Get fed up with not earning enough money to survive due to them getting older, customers get fewer and fewer and guys buying them drinks get less and less and they never did find a felang to get married to and they end up going back to their village and servicing locals 

Yes you do have a point but returning girls is not the norm they are in the minority. Most of the girls in these kareoke bars are local Isaan village girls.

53 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The first thing I did, upon coming to Asia, was to chuck my Wilson X31 clubs in the trash.

Good riddance.

I am still playing golf at age 79. It is good exercise.

Golf does not have to be expensive here. I bought a 30 year membership at the military course in Chiang Rai, 35,000 baht. It can be sold on by my GF when I cark it. Nine holes of golf costs me 370 baht, including caddie and tip.

If I want a more upmarket course for a change of scenery, it is usually about 1500 baht for 18 holes, including caddie, golf cart and tip.

When people criticize golf as a sport, it is usually because they are incapable of playing it well.

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

One of my Kiwi pals lived in CM on 20kbht a month.

He seemed happy enough, cheap room, few beers of an evening, girl from the street now and again, regular girlfriend. He was a welder when he worked in NZ.

Most of the world lives a very frugal, cold, hungry and restricted life in their old age.

We're the lucky ones!

Well , reading this thread ,not everyone is "happy" in what makes us happy.

I'm surprised some don't need or want bar girls ,even though some live in Pattaya !

Some prefer small rooms ?

55 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Seems to me you're just making excuses for not retiring. It's a scary thing walking away from making decent money and quit your job. Retirement isn't for everyone. I retired almost 3 yrs ago, thanks to exchange rate I'm getting 100K/mo. Home paid for as are my 2 vehicles and MC. Got an old lady and a kid. Home improvements, tires, insurance and service for vehicles, school fees come out of another fund. I can blow through 100K/mo just living.

It's all relative. My money is spent on family. As a single guy 50K/mo would be easy and I'd consider it a good life. Once you settle down here you stop ringing the bell every night. For me a good day is an ice chest with a few beers and a doobie on the beach.

Doobie?

Bogart?

Deadhead?

Head full of snow?

Slang can get ridiculous. 

Don't bogart your doobie on the beach.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Golf does not have to be expensive here. I bought a 30 year membership at the military course in Chiang Rai, 35,000 baht. It can be sold on by my GF when I cark it. Nine holes of golf costs me 370 baht, including caddie and tip.

If I want a more upmarket course for a change of scenery, it is usually about 1500 baht for 18 holes, including caddie, golf cart and tip.

When people criticize golf as a sport, it is usually because they are incapable of playing it well.

Nice and informative post.

Golfing should not be expensive.

Where there is water, aplenty, then there can be golf courses.

However, in some of the places which are water stressed, then golfing should be virtual, played on a large video screen.

These days are not the days of your youth, back in the 1960s, of course, when our population was about 3 billion.

These days, our population is ready to hit 8 billion.

Too many areas are facing water stress.

For us, there is no need to worry about the years after 2040, eighteen years from now.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Nice and informative post.

Golfing should not be expensive.

Where there is water, aplenty, then there can be golf courses.

However, in some of the places which are water stressed, then golfing should be virtual, played on a large video screen.

These days are not the days of your youth, back in the 1960s, of course, when our population was about 3 billion.

These days, our population is ready to hit 8 billion.

Too many areas are facing water stress.

For us, there is no need to worry about the years after 2040, eighteen years from now.

When I played golf in Port Hedland many moons ago, it was dirt fairways and oiled sand greens, with preferred lies. The Tom Price course was tee up, fairways were coarse gravel. Not a drop of water in sight.

I agree most golf courses are overwatered. It would be better to allow native grasses to do their thing without water, and put some work into developing hybrids that are salt-tolerant.

I started my golfing life at Royal Melbourne, as a caddie. In the fifties, only the greens were watered. The couch fairways flourished with any rain. When dry, divots turned to powder. That's what golf needs to get back to.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you are 79, then 1943 was a very good year.

When I was 17, and my wrists were like iron, from rowing 12 miles each day in an eight, I could whip out my 5 iron, and hit the pill 220 yards. No problem.

Golfing is a waste of time an resources, these days.

And, I am not the only one who thinks the same.

Better to use this water and land to grow food.

Anyway, as I say, 1943 was a very good year.

We are now witnessing the end of an era, my friend.

I wish we could return.

But, we cannot.

Take care!

I don't really have expensive habits. To date embarrased by girlie bars. Can seem fun in theory but leering men with dumb smiles is more depressing than fun. Terrible at golf. Could retire comfortably now based on this discussion but for reasons I won't go into hanging around at work for 2 more years makes it significantly better for retirement. 

Today was below zero when I went to work but thanks to covid rules and living in Australia the working from home opportunity makes a good transition to retirement. Hope I am not too old when I finally take the plunge but time will tell.  I am that guy waiting on the sidelines but still having an OK life in Australia with friends and family and with the odd Thailand holiday or bringing my on and off lady to Australia. 

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

When I played golf in Port Hedland many moons ago, it was dirt fairways and oiled sand greens, with preferred lies. The Tom Price course was tee up, fairways were coarse gravel. Not a drop of water in sight.

I agree most golf courses are overwatered. It would be better to allow native grasses to do their thing without water, and put some work into developing hybrids that are salt-tolerant.

I started my golfing life at Royal Melbourne, as a caddie. In the fifties, only the greens were watered. The couch fairways flourished with any rain. When dry, divots turned to powder. That's what golf needs to get back to.

I used to caddie when I was 14.

I went diving for balls in the water hazards at night.

I caddied at https://www.stdavidsgc.com/

We had joined the club for awhile.

Then we left.

That was the end of my ball diving days.

Golf is a pseudo sport which is also an alternative to a life well lived.

Every hour on the course, is an hour lost.

Feel free to entertain your own contrary opinion, of course.

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Then we left.

My fondest recollection of golfing on the Main Line was during the autumn months when the Canadian geese would fly in and land on the greens, crapping all over. Beautiful fat birds, they would fly in to rest and drink, and then take off again, flying further south.

There were hundreds of them, just waddling about.

At my age of 17 or 18, I had often thought of bashing one of them with my putter.

What a meal just one of these birds would have made.

I doubt that there was any law against harvesting a goose on the golf course.

These days, in Thailand, how much would you need to pay at the supermarket for a large Canadian goose?

In Pennsylvania, during the autumn months on the golf course, it can get pretty lonely in the evenings.

The leaves have fallen, and the wind is chilly.

The sun is low.

And, the golf course can become an eerie place.

When one is playing a round by oneself,

Things get spooky.

Sort of like a wasteland.

Like the end of the world.

Loneliest feeling one can feel.

Just you, the tee, the water hazards, and a par-3.

Such beauty, as well.

One thing I enjoyed about golf, however, is that you can wash your balls for free after each hole.

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My fondest recollection of golfing on the Main Line was during the autumn months when the Canadian geese would fly in and land on the greens, crapping all over. Beautiful fat birds, they would fly in to rest and drink, and then take off again, flying further south.

There were hundreds of them, just waddling about.

At my age of 17 or 18, I had often thought of bashing one of them with my putter.

What a meal just one of these birds would have made.

I doubt that there was any law against harvesting a goose on the golf course.

These days, in Thailand, how much would you need to pay at the supermarket for a large Canadian goose?

In Pennsylvania, during the autumn months on the golf course, it can get pretty lonely in the evenings.

The leaves have fallen, and the wind is chilly.

The sun is low.

And, the golf course can become an eerie place.

When one is playing a round by oneself,

Things get spooky.

Sort of like a wasteland.

Like the end of the world.

Loneliest feeling one can feel.

Just you, the tee, the water hazards, and a par-3.

Such beauty, as well.

One thing I enjoyed about golf, however, is that you can wash your balls for free after each hole.

A couple Philly-ites ... from the other side of the tracks, Delaware County myself; Sharon Hill, Collingdale, Prospect Park, Chester, SW Philly, Aston, Bethel.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I moved to Pattaya because it has a nice jogging track (the beach promenade). Plus a good range of shops, restaurants, DIY etc etc, all within walking distance.  AFAIK, it is not compulsory to use hooker services when you live in Pattaya ????

It is compulsory in Pattaya

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A couple Philly-ites ... from the other side of the tracks, Delaware County myself; Sharon Hill, Collingdale, Prospect Park, Chester, SW Philly, Aston, Bethel.

Merion, Gladwyne, Wayne, and then Taipei, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Thailand.

Speaking of tracks, then it would be the Paoli Local.

So many fond memories of riding the old train in the 1960s, to school.

The train carriages were red.

The metal floors were rusted through in places.

One could see through to the railroad ties whipping past.

The smell of the ride was wonderful.

Dust flying and windows open in the summer.

In 1966, I stopped taking the train,

Preferring to ride with a friend in his death-trap Corvair.

The Paoli Local, in the 1960s, was a fantastical train.

Sort of like the Long Island Railroad of the same era.

Sometimes, the best experiences are not about just getting there.

When one is young, old trains are more fun.

Young students on a train enjoy the rust and the dust flying.

So, anyway, I don't need 50K per week in Thailand to live happy.

I was happy on the Paoli Local.

You might even say that I have been downwardly mobile, since then.

And, Thai food is no worse than a Philly cheesesteak.

You know what Yusuf Islam always says about money.....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

27 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

It is compulsory in Pattaya

Well, judging by the quality of the 'ladies' that I see in Pattaya, partaking in their services would have a negative effect on my outlook on life!  It would be a punishment, not a pleasure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Then we left.

Presumably you have not observed the physical conditioning of modern professional golfers, they are athletes.

Golf is a metaphor for life. AFAIK it is the only game which relies on personal integrity in observing its rules.  It takes character, resolve, physical ability and mental toughness to win championships. Like life, one gets out of golf what one is prepared to put into it.

Quite obviously, you have never been in that position, which is why you feel free to disrespect it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Presumably you have not observed the physical conditioning of modern professional golfers, they are athletes.

Golf is a metaphor for life. AFAIK it is the only game which relies on personal integrity in observing its rules.  It takes character, resolve, physical ability and mental toughness to win championships. Like life, one gets out of golf what one is prepared to put into it.

Quite obviously, you have never been in that position, which is why you feel free to disrespect it.

John Daley 2 majors. Hardly practised. Smoked and drank.

Sport is 90% ability 10% practise.

3 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

live, of course.   20,000 probably to LIVE>

Live in the Falang sense, NO.   Not in a big city.   Then you have put yourself int he land of the third-world.   

Have respect for yourself, not deep down.  Not living poor.   It means you can't afford to do what most falangs can do.

When I was 25, I was living on 130,000 baht a month (USD conversion).  What is a good lifestyle?  No, but acceptable for falang.

Then it went to 200,000, sometimes 300,000 a month.  Was I rich?  Absolutely not.  middle-class.

Yes, you can live and survive.   But there will be a mental toll; regardless if you want to believe there is or not.    

ahaha what the hell... 130.000 baht a month, what did you do exactly to spend that much as a single? middle class what earning 10 times the average person here