Dispute With Bank

I have an issue with Bangkok Bank. 

I booked a flight 2 years ago with BA. I ended up getting a refund in May but it was sent to my old VISA card, which is the same account as my new card but..

They can't find my money as VISA will not allow them to follow the transaction on their system. 

I don't think they are looking hard enough.

Any suggestions on what to do next, if anything? I am not willing to throw away 66,500 baht. 

Has anyone here used the Ombudsman to sort out bank issues, or any other organization/lawyer. 

40 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I too had a flight cancelled 2 yrs ago, but my travel agent refunded the money within about 6 months.  They asked for my bank account number and that's where the funds were sent.  Did BA simply reverse the charges on your credit card?  You should probably contact the people that sent the money.  Then you can contact your bank with more specific details.

I did contact BA asking if they needed my account details and they said that if the account number was no longer in use, it would be rejected, and they would contact me and ask for a new number.

23 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In my reading you have not received any refund from BA - expect they should be taking the action to prove refund has been made.  How would BBL know anything about it if nothing received (no way they could trace).

BA said they sent the money to Bangkok bank on May 4th. 

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

BA said they sent the money to Bangkok bank on May 4th. 

And they should be able to trace it.  Your OP is not clear about Visa number - did it actually change or just a new card expiration date?  As the Visa account owner expect you could also start communications on that front if BA not responsive.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And they should be able to trace it.  Your OP is not clear about Visa number - did it actually change or just a new card expiration date?  As the Visa account owner expect you could also start communications on that front if BA not responsive.

OK, so BA is the way to go, trying for an hour to get them on the phone! 

I got a new card when I changed my nationality at the bank branch. It is a debit card -  the account number is the same but the number on the card is different. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

OK, so BA is the way to go, trying for an hour to get them on the phone! 

I got a new card when I changed my nationality at the bank branch. It is a debit card -  the account number is the same but the number on the card is different. 

The number on the card is the only one that BA will use.

I would use email if possible to contact BA.  Asking them to call you may work better.

All Visa transaction use a transaction number.  Ask BA for that transaction number and then contact Bangkok Bank and/or Visa for information about that transaction.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

The number on the card is the only one that BA will use.

I would use email if possible to contact BA.  Asking them to call you may work better.

All Visa transaction use a transaction number.  Ask BA for that transaction number and then contact Bangkok Bank and/or Visa for information about that transaction.

The bank say that VIS don't give any information if over 120 days. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But it has only been 60 days or less for the refund.

Furthermore this transaction happened on 20/01/2020. Visa did not allow us to follow the money in their system because the transaction date is over 2 years.

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Furthermore this transaction happened on 20/01/2020. Visa did not allow us to follow the money in their system because the transaction date is over 2 years.

You said BA told you the refund transaction occurred in May.  That is the transaction you need to track down, not the original purchase.  What year was the refund transaction attempted by BA?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

You said BA told you the refund transaction occurred in May.  That is the transaction you need to track down, not the original purchase.  What year was the refund transaction attempted by BA?

This year

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

This year

Get the transaction identifier/number for the attempted refund.  Hopefully, that will show where the money went or a least lead to a subsequent transaction when the bank sent the money back to BA or to some other unknown repository.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Get the transaction identifier/number for the attempted refund.  Hopefully, that will show where the money went or a least lead to a subsequent transaction when the bank sent the money back to BA or to some other unknown repository.

I will ask them(if they answer their phone)but I think the last time they said they couldn't give that information. They just gave the card number and date. 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Bangkok Bank will be getting no joy from VISA ,as they no longer

do VISA  ....so better to contact BA.  good luck

regards worgeordie

Really? I just looked at my new card, it is Mastercard. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Really? I just looked at my new card, it is Mastercard. 

"They can't find my money as VISA will not allow them to follow the transaction on their system."

yes Bangkok Bank no longer do VISA , only Mastercard and some Chinese card.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

As you have already raised this with both BB and the Airline you can raise a dispute with Visa as your card was relevant at the transaction date providing them with all the exchanged correspondence. Persist and they will demand an explanation from the Bank. Just because your visa card has now lapsed doesn't mean you don't have a contract with them for that transaction. 

Edited by chilly07
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Bangkok Bank will be getting no joy from VISA ,as they no longer

do VISA  ....so better to contact BA.  good luck

regards worgeordie

Bangkok bank now use Mastercard and they are useless to use online but OK to use at Lotus or Big C. Bangkok bank have got worse in the last two years and if it wasn't for me using Wise to transfer money to them I would have found another bank a while go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Bangkok bank now use Mastercard and they are useless to use online

Why is it useless online? Could it be you just don't know how to use it?

When you use a credit card online, you connect with the CC company, not Bangkok bank.

I have had mastercard for years for online purchases, and never experienced issues

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I did contact BA asking if they needed my account details and they said that if the account number was no longer in use, it would be rejected, and they would contact me and ask for a new number.

Yes, you need the details of transaction from BA. It might have been refused by your bank. You’ll get it back eventually.

36 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Why is it useless online? Could it be you just don't know how to use it?

When you use a credit card online, you connect with the CC company, not Bangkok bank.

I have had mastercard for years for online purchases, and never experienced issues

I have mastercard on my UK debit card and never had a problem. Only problems with Bangkok Bank with which I cannot solve because of the poor English of the bank staff up here in the Joolies. So I suppose it is not all their fault.

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2022 at 7:22 PM, geisha said:

Yes, you need the details of transaction from BA. It might have been refused by your bank. You’ll get it back eventually.

I've been calling BA every two weeks and get the same message, we'll look into this and if you don't get an email within 2 weeks, call us back. 

Got a decent Indian guy today and said that previous notes say 'refund has been made, no action taken'. 

He's looking into it and same message, 'if no email in 2 weeks.....'

Jeez