Soi Buakhao restaurant charging 55 thb for a coke, opinions.......

EVENKEEL

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You almost can't slip a razor blade between LK and WS prices.

I'm not sure about the meaning of that phrase, but I heard WS prices are ridiculous in some places now.

I have such a feeling that Pattaya is pricing themselves out of the market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterfranks said:

I'm not sure about the meaning of that phrase, but I heard WS prices are ridiculous in some places now.

I have such a feeling that Pattaya is pricing themselves out of the market.

I doubt it. Pattaya is cheaper than Bkk, samui or Phuket. 

Tourists coming back

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So whats the point of the topic?

If they charged 200 baht for a coke i get it but 55 baht is nothing.

Again, I've made my point clear already and it's not about the paying 55thb. It's about why would this long established place charge way above regular prices, when many of their customers are not one time diners but probably stay there long term. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Again, I've made my point clear already and it's not about the paying 55thb. It's about why would this long established place charge way above regular prices, when many of their customers are not one time diners but probably stay there long term. 

Maybe their rent went up. 15 baht is not way above.

Most people dont worry about 15 baht.

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's about why would this long established place charge way above regular prices

People who run bars for 10+ years would do market research and know what to charge.

I see Thais paying 120 baht for a coffee. I know this girl buys stuff at inflated prices has half then the rest is rubbish. Dates rich blokes.

Did you ask them how much was their rent, electricity/refrigeration costs, staff salaries, other overhead costs ? Would you go to 7-11, buy a Coke, keep it in your fridge, have someone come sit at your table and drink it, have your lady serve it in a glass with ice, clean up when they have gone all for a 4O baht "profit" ?? Some vendors might, but I wouldn't.....everything is relative....

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, beverages are where the money is for restaurants. You can't expect them to charge a price like at 7-Eleven. Also, the ice probably set you back 10 or 20 baht, so 35 baht for the can, and 20 for the ice, or so.

I was at a beer bar off 2nd Road and an English speaking customer was complaining loudly to his pals about the beer price.

A bar girl asked me "what's he saying?" I told her and her response was:

"Can get at Family Mart instead."

She was not being sarcastic or mean, she just felt like, "want cheaper beer? go to Family Mart" all sorted.

• Like 2

Restaurants have traditionally made their profits on their drinks.... particularly on their alcoholic ones, and they have good margins. As a non Coke/Pepsi drinker I think they should charge 100 baht for that awful overly sweet kids drink...  and therein I have reservations... people who bring their kids will be deterred. What does a can of coke cost in a 7-11?

I always thought the price for a cup of tea was too much in a particular cheap eatery.... and although it was a large cup, a regular small tea bag was used and the tea feeble because of it. 

• Haha 1

Soi Buakow is known for cheap charlies sitting for hours nursing one drink watching the world go by.

You want coke for 25b? Go to 7-11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Soi Buakow is known for cheap charlies sitting for hours nursing one drink watching the world go by.

You want coke for 25b? Go to 7-11.

We rarely drink coke, sometimes at restaurants but mainly water. But thank you for the info on buying a coke.

It's you that's being greedy expecting it for less. 50 baht is a normal price for a soft  drink in a bar or restaurant. They pay overheada, insurance  electricity,  gas, lighting, rent  wages, cleaning, maintenance and need to make a profit to stay open. I find your complaint naive and embarrassing.

• Like 2