New O-A Extension Insurace

10 hours ago, Jen65 said:

One also has to take into consideration what the deductible / excess is and if those quotes are 200,000 or 300,000 deductible ?. I just had to increase my deductible to the max from Pacific Cross in order to get a reasonable quote .Then there are the exclusions for pre-existing conditions to consider .  If many or important ones excluded then the policy may be worthless in the event of hospitalization for such and in that case self insurance ( large bank deposit ) may be best option .  I just wrote another reply regarding quotes from local and outside Thailand companies .  I will stick to the one I have , for now at least , as I do not want to "step off " the insurance ladder and go the "O" visa route .   

Given @Marcus1's disgraceful experience with AXA as reported above, my view is that we might as well go for the maximum deductible possible on our Thai health insurance policies regardless. From my perspective the desirability of staying on the insurance ladder as regards these policies (assuming that there were no better options obtainable in our home countries) is more motivated by the (hopefully remote) possibility of the mandatory requirement being extended to original non-O visa holders (as suggested by @redwood1), rather than the intrinsic value of having such a policy, particularly after I have had the temerity of actually submitting a claim against it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 11:03 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I am in the "under consideration" period waiting for my Non O to pickup on August 11 (not 12 as they stamped, a holiday!).

Patience is not my strength.

So today I drove to KK immigration and ask about the status of the application.

And after a minute of searching in the file cabinet the lucky message: it's approved.

Approval date August 2, Non O visa, permission to stay stamp until 30 October.

So in the first week of October I will be there again for one year extension as usual.

The "visa": much different from what a visa at a consulate looks like.

It's stamped of course. Officer used about 10 different stamps to get it done.

An exciting procedure :smile:

It shows  "The visa must be utilized on the date of it's issuance".

And "USED" stamped on top.

So it's kind of a virtual entry on August 2 although I guess that the 90 day report is due 90 days from the actual border run (July 17).

Arrived about 9:30 at Khon Kaen immigration.

It was very quiet. In/out in about 15 minutes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because today (1 September) was the date from which the increased 100,000 USD health insurance requirement for retirees with original non-OA visas who hadn't yet ditched these for replacement non-O ones was supposed to apply according to perceived wisdom on here.

Yet no Police Order has, to the best of my knowledge yet been issued to confirm this implementation date. Had one already been issued I am sure that it would have resulted in a multi-page thread on here by now.

According to @JimGant in the following inappropriately-titled (IMHO) thread, it would appear that the implementation date has been put back to 1 October. But, once again, this is, of course, subject to a suitable Police Order being issued between now and then.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268670-mickey-mouse

In the meantime annual retirement extensions for original non-OA visa holders are presumably still being issued on the basis of the 400,000/40,000 THB insurance requirement.

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Yet no Police Order has, to the best of my knowledge yet been issued to confirm this implementation date. Had one already been issued I am sure that it would have resulted in a multi-page thread on here by now.

Immigration issued a order in December of 2021.

It states this in cover letter for it.

image.png.6500c0b27cccd00929444e799f657f28.png

See clause 6 in the order. RTP-Order-No.654-2564-1.pdf

image.png.c49c808a7002286e68de44a545ea1f7c.png

• Thanks 1

I live in Phuket, fortunately.

From here:   https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

"From October 2020 an medical insurance is required for every retirement extension if it is based on a original Non-OA visa (Issued at the Thai Embassy in your home country) following the criteria explained below than it has to be shown and included in the extension based on retirement.
– If the Non-OA visa from your home country is issued In or BEFORE 2017 then the health insurance is NOT required for your extension.
– If the Non-OA visa from your home country is issued in 2018 or later but the last entry date is before 1 October 2019 then the health insurance is NOT required for your extension.
– If the Non-OA visa from your home country is issued in 2018 or later but the last entry date is AFTER 1 October 2019 then the health insurance is IS required for your extension."

I obtained the 400k/40k health insurance, and presented the certificate (with all the other O-A renewal documents) to the Immigration Officer who stands outside the Immigration Office in Phuket and whose job it is to check all the documents.

For the last two years he has given me back the Health Insurance document. My renewal was processed as normal.

47 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I live in Phuket, fortunately.

From here:   https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

"From October 2020 an medical insurance is required for every retirement extension if it is based on a original Non-OA visa (Issued at the Thai Embassy in your home country) following the criteria explained below than it has to be shown and included in the extension based on retirement.
– If the Non-OA visa from your home country is issued In or BEFORE 2017 then the health insurance is NOT required for your extension.
– If the Non-OA visa from your home country is issued in 2018 or later but the last entry date is before 1 October 2019 then the health insurance is NOT required for your extension.
– If the Non-OA visa from your home country is issued in 2018 or later but the last entry date is AFTER 1 October 2019 then the health insurance is IS required for your extension."

I obtained the 400k/40k health insurance, and presented the certificate (with all the other O-A renewal documents) to the Immigration Officer who stands outside the Immigration Office in Phuket and whose job it is to check all the documents.

For the last two years he has given me back the Health Insurance document. My renewal was processed as normal.

Fingers firmly crossed for Phuketian retirees that the Police Order referred to by ubonjoe doesn't spark a change of heart from 1st October, though!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Is there any official source for that statement ? It seems highly unlikely but i'd like it to be true.

22 hours ago, turgid said:

Is there any official source for that statement ? It seems highly unlikely but i'd like it to be true.

I quoted the web site - that's as official as I can get. Actually, I was thinking of going to the Immigration office in Phuket and asking them about it. Maybe I will today - I'm getting really bored.

FYI, the rule has worked for me for the last two years - no insurance required.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:06 AM, JetsetBkk said:

I'm getting really bored

Anxiety, rather than boredom, would, I think, more appropriately sum up my feelings if I were in your shoes!

But, assuming that a trip to Immigration on your part has now taken place, what was the verdict?

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Anxiety, rather than boredom, would, I think, more appropriately sum up my feelings if I were in your shoes!

But, assuming that a trip to Immigration on your part has now taken place, what was the verdict?

He confirmed what I quoted earlier: https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

Of course, I will check at the beginning of November if anything has changed.