Do thais get depressed?

Chronic, but not severe depression has come upon my Thai wife of 38 years.

She is the mother of our two grown daughters both of whom have turned out very well.

Nothing can explain the reason for the frequent periods of lohm see-uh that sometimes last for days at a time.

Clinical care is out because she refuses to recognize she has a problem.

I don't know what to do except bear it as best I can.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Many Thais are depressed, it is just that you do not show that to strangers here as everything is about saving face. Buddhism to do with it? Nothing at all lol, that's just some fantasy of people who watched movies. No better than any other religion in any country.

I think getting lucky numbers and winning the lottery has become the predominant religion in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I think getting lucky numbers and winning the lottery has become the predominant religion in Thailand.

No it is money, that is the Thais their religion. But yeah, that is what they hope to get from lottery too hehe. Seems to be the only reason they visit temples too, unless it is the cremation of a relative or friend.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What % of suicides would you say are depressed? based on your analaysis

Hard to say.  But Thais are known to commit suicide in order to be reincarnated with the hope of having a better life next time.  This is obviously very different to how we Westerners view suicide, so it's not reliable as an indicator of depression.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if it is ingrained in the Thai mind that this life will be full of adversity but the next one will be better 

Some facebook posts I read from Thai relatives and acquaintances often mention 'keep fighting' when faced with difficult situations 

Kind of 'struggle on' through life and hard times in the west 

Perhaps not seen as being depressed but more tiring of the fighting or struggle to keep going 

Yup. There's been a former bargirl stomping around our village since the pandemic got going, and her BKK bar shut down. Couldn't find work around the village. Had a poor village BF promise her big dreams, sin sod and marriage, which of course weren't happening being a poor village boy. Grandpa then kicked her to the nearby town to work. Couldn't hold down the job, blah blah excuses. So now grandpa's shipping her back to BKK as they've been reopening. That fertilizer ain't buying itself. Now they sit together in front of the house all day without a word between them. She obviously not happy about the cards she's been dealt, but that attitude certainly didn't help her any. About 25, small, skinny, tatted up. Go say hi to her when she's back around Nana next week.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yup. There's been a former bargirl stomping around our village since the pandemic got going, and her BKK bar shut down. Couldn't find work around the village. Had a poor village BF promise her big dreams, sin sod and marriage, which of course weren't happening being a poor village boy. Grandpa then kicked her to the nearby town to work. Couldn't hold down the job, blah blah excuses. So now grandpa's shipping her back to BKK as they've been reopening. That fertilizer ain't buying itself. Now they sit together in front of the house all day without a word between them. She obviously not happy about the cards she's been dealt, but that attitude certainly didn't help her any. About 25, small, skinny, tatted up. Go say hi to her when she's back around Nana next week.

You trot out.this BS.tale from to time.  Is it based on a.monthly cycle perhaps? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Olmate said:

You trot out.this BS.tale from to time.  Is it based on a.monthly cycle perhaps? 

Yeah, I have mentioned it before, thanks for noticing. Why would it be BS? Why would it be something to lie about? Certainly much more to lie about on this site, like one's income levels, etc. I'm not the only one to tell such stories, they've become a sad reality throughout the pandemic. It's topical as per the subject of the thread. Times are hard, and people are sad. Sometimes I feel sorry for them, like if they tried to make an effort and couldn't make it work, but in this case I don't. There's also the issue of low effort posts, here and across social media, likely induced by boredom and beer. If the topic didn't interest you, you didn't have to click on it. Likewise, as you have nothing constructive to contribute, you shouldn't have done so.

10 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Likewise, as you have nothing constructive to contribute, you shouldn't have done so.

If.you.reckon your well worn  tale is constructive I would suggest best for you to dosame.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, DeaconJohn said:

Chronic, but not severe depression has come upon my Thai wife of 38 years.

She is the mother of our two grown daughters both of whom have turned out very well.

Nothing can explain the reason for the frequent periods of lohm see-uh that sometimes last for days at a time.

Clinical care is out because she refuses to recognize she has a problem.

I don't know what to do except bear it as best I can.

Zinc and D help

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5492454/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

so in other words, you don't know ????

Take a beginner's class in reading comprehension and basic logic if you seriously believe that. Of course I know. Thais get depressed, just like literally every other people in the world.

• Like 1

Living in Pattaya, it's rare to see a cheerful Thai.

(Unless they're pulling a fast one.)

But then it's rare to see a cheerful whitey either..

Mme Thujone and myself are quite cheerful.

Maybe we should write a book, and sell it online.

'Reasons To Be Cheerful in Pattaya, part 93.'

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Living in Pattaya, it's rare to see a cheerful Thai.

(Unless they're pulling a fast one.)

But then it's rare to see a cheerful whitey either..

Mme Thujone and myself are quite cheerful.

Maybe we should write a book, and sell it online.

'Reasons To Be Cheerful in Pattaya, part 93.'

You can see all those frowns under those masks ... hmm