Why are there so many haters on this site?

9 hours ago, lextsy said:

Western society is boring but you really get used to processes being put in place and those processes being followed. Once you move to Thailand you realise what a cluster f&@k things are.

i recently finished a renovation on my condo, a 2 week job blew out to 3 months, it was escalated to the biggest boss at home pro sukhumviht in Pattaya (who was doing the Reno) who had to personally come to my place on multiple occasions to check the work (all this for a 40k baht job).

A few things which occurred. 
1) Home pro hired anyone as subcontractor and denied liability when the contractors wife who he was “training” cleaned my fridge and table with a scourer. In the end contractor had to pay me out 10k baht for new fridge doors and the table was sent off 3 times to get repaired (before I threw it out the third time)

2) TVs were wrapped in plastic and put face down on the bed. Painting plastic was then put down on the bed and the new painting team stood on 2 out of 3 tvs. Broken. Store Manager gave me 10k off a new TV and staff of course took the broken tv home to fix

3) They robbed me of 500b of classic Thai notes I was collecting 

4) They painted one roof with super gloss wall paint and one wall with matte roof paint 

5) My Thai building manager then said to me once it was all over “Why are you cleaning and painting yourself?” After 3 months of incompetence.

6) 2 brand new Samsung q65 tvs had severe shadowing in the dark and had to return both. Once at the shop I asked if this has happened before and they said no only farang complain ??? Lol

Basically everything had to be done 2 and 3 times, they have not grasped the do it once and do it properly antic because their time is worth so little. 

This is just a snippet of a 5 month working holiday where I decided to renovate a condo. 

Extrapolate this into everyday society, and dealing with “non educated” thais (cannot put everyone in a bucket) or should I say “Not used to western standards” thais. On every single level you come face to face with total incompetence and id say a well raised 11 year old Aussie kid has more common sense than most thais.

(Not talking about BKK or the thais I worked with in an office environment) 

Basically if you are going on a holiday and you don’t need more interaction than ordering a taxi you will run into this continual incompetence. 

Actually the only time things were done to my standards was interacting with my Visa agent who had everything down pat from visa extensions, to getting Thai license and opening a bank account.

My frustration was immense for only 5 months. Imagine being an expat after 20 years, living in a village and dealing with locals on the reg you will probably see they all started off with Rose Colored glasses and slowly the place has made them angry.

saying that…… only 35 days till I’m flying out ???? 

are you sure this happened in Thailand and not Sydney? sounds exactly like what our dodgy builders get up to. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-29/opal-tower-owners-launch-supreme-court-case-over-new-defects/12402444

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You obviously haven't been back to your home country for a while.

My 2Mbht Thai house would cost me 20Mbht back in the UK.

What does it matter?

My money doesn't buy me anywhere near what it did 2-3 years ago. 

Edited by Pouatchee

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It was WHORE for a lady of the night, as mentioned in The Boxer by S&G.

And the town's name has got a T in it in all posts & quotes.

Oh dear, I wish I didn't have to point out the obvious!

'Hor' is obviously a similar sound to 'whore', and I know very well how to spell that town's name and how to spell that very bad slang word...

A good education and accompanying British humour sometimes goes right over people's heads... ????

• Sad 1

Generally, I've come to accept things. Otherwise, enjoy the weather, pace of life, ease of seeing a physician, and not being bothered by all the busy-ness of back in the US.  Just don't care about most of the troubles. Except three things: 1) insurance 2) waiting in line at the bank 3) when 7, Tops, and Lotus run out of Farmhouse raisin bread (where the hell has it gone to lately, btw?)

10 hours ago, lextsy said:

Western society is boring but you really get used to processes being put in place and those processes being followed. Once you move to Thailand you realise what a cluster f&@k things are.

i recently finished a renovation on my condo, a 2 week job blew out to 3 months, it was escalated to the biggest boss at home pro sukhumviht in Pattaya (who was doing the Reno) who had to personally come to my place on multiple occasions to check the work (all this for a 40k baht job).

A few things which occurred. 
1) Home pro hired anyone as subcontractor and denied liability when the contractors wife who he was “training” cleaned my fridge and table with a scourer. In the end contractor had to pay me out 10k baht for new fridge doors and the table was sent off 3 times to get repaired (before I threw it out the third time)

2) TVs were wrapped in plastic and put face down on the bed. Painting plastic was then put down on the bed and the new painting team stood on 2 out of 3 tvs. Broken. Store Manager gave me 10k off a new TV and staff of course took the broken tv home to fix

3) They robbed me of 500b of classic Thai notes I was collecting 

4) They painted one roof with super gloss wall paint and one wall with matte roof paint 

5) My Thai building manager then said to me once it was all over “Why are you cleaning and painting yourself?” After 3 months of incompetence.

6) 2 brand new Samsung q65 tvs had severe shadowing in the dark and had to return both. Once at the shop I asked if this has happened before and they said no only farang complain ??? Lol

Basically everything had to be done 2 and 3 times, they have not grasped the do it once and do it properly antic because their time is worth so little. 

This is just a snippet of a 5 month working holiday where I decided to renovate a condo. 

Extrapolate this into everyday society, and dealing with “non educated” thais (cannot put everyone in a bucket) or should I say “Not used to western standards” thais. On every single level you come face to face with total incompetence and id say a well raised 11 year old Aussie kid has more common sense than most thais.

(Not talking about BKK or the thais I worked with in an office environment) 

Basically if you are going on a holiday and you don’t need more interaction than ordering a taxi you will run into this continual incompetence. 

Actually the only time things were done to my standards was interacting with my Visa agent who had everything down pat from visa extensions, to getting Thai license and opening a bank account.

My frustration was immense for only 5 months. Imagine being an expat after 20 years, living in a village and dealing with locals on the reg you will probably see they all started off with Rose Colored glasses and slowly the place has made them angry.

saying that…… only 35 days till I’m flying out ???? 

"...but you really get used to processes being put in place and those processes being followed."

Really! And I guess the USA would be an excellent example of this?

5 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Dude get a life. You obviously haven't been here long enough to understand that you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. I vent my frustrations here at times because when I try to do it with my wife she doesn't understand. Try working in a Thai school to see what is going on. You will be segregated and looked down upon by Thai admin that wouldn't be allowed to clean toilets in a school back in the west. Before asking questions like yours, live a little then express yourself. Why am I still here? Cos I have 2 cars, a cool motorcycle, a pretty wife and I can go to the beach when I want to. Life is still cheaper here, but not for long. 

Couldn't of said it better mate.

59 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Oh dear, I wish I didn't have to point out the obvious!

'Hor' is obviously a similar sound to 'whore', and I know very well how to spell that town's name and how to spell that very bad slang word...

A good education and accompanying British humour sometimes goes right over people's heads... ????

Thanks for recognising that I had a good education and have the accompanying British sense of humour. Cheers.

• Haha 1

It needs to be realised that most "topics" or newsfeeds are aimed at eliciting a response.

Stories that incorporate such as stupidity, greed. murder, corruption are predominant and they naturally lend to negative comments.

• Like 1

I praise my home country and out vulnerable democracy because they gave me the opportunity to become what I wanted to be, and do exactly what I wanted in my life with very few restrictions. 

I do not talk much bad about Thailand, because of their situation and economic, they give me a nice opportunity to live my life in my semi retirement exactly how I want it to be, with my resources I have gained.

So a lot to be grateful for ????

• Like 2

So much hate in the world ... every day is beautiful.

Are you alive, many aren't, and you're still complaining.

Can he fly to 2 drones at the same time, sort of ... 

Edited by KhunLA

13 minutes ago, shackleton said:

The Thai visa site gives people the opportunity to vent their frustrations 

Probably sitting in front of their computer thinking who can I wind up today usually more negative comments than positive ???? 

You only have one life try to remain positive and enjoy it

I get frustrated with and want to wind up people who still call it Thai Visa. 555

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

are you sure this happened in Thailand and not Sydney? sounds exactly like what our dodgy builders get up to. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-29/opal-tower-owners-launch-supreme-court-case-over-new-defects/12402444

Reminds me of my workers who I made clear to them, do not paint the outside walls in the sun! Off course they did not, they arrived before sunrise, and painted to walls facing east of course. Great work and so happy they listened to my concern about new paint in the sun!

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Always the same type of dumb-a$$ reply from people who’ve ‘gone native’....

....  Thai’s have exactly the same complaints of Thailand as many of us Westerners do... we all feel the same frustrations here and in our home nations. 

When Thai’s go to the UK they too complain about the things we also complain about (rail strikes, baggage handling and excessive overzealous security at airports and many other things)... 

It always seems that when someone makes an observation of anything which is not positive, there is always someone who accuses them of being a hater, or a Thai-basher when instead many times they have simple made factual observations and found this forum to voice a frustration.

but it's boring listening to the same old gripes ad infinitum. nobody cares that you suck at life and can't handle the tropical heat. either grow a thicker skin or get on the next flight out. simples.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If there wasn't any hater on here who would we make fun of?

The 'experts' that point out the obvious, and try to sound so intelligent. 

Prefer the 'global warming/rising ocean' experts myself.   But ask them what they are doing to slow or prevent said ecological disaster of a whole 1C or 30cm over the next 100 yrs, maybe. 

Nothing .... still driving fossil fuel vehicles, using energy from, and taking international holidays ... ????  I guess 'hypocrite' isn't in their vocabulary.

Thinkin many would welcome it being a bit warmer.   Rising oceans, hmm...stop building oceanfront.

Coming in 2nd place ... EV haters telling how horrible it is to own, and yet ... don't own.

And 3rd place ... those that blame guns for killing people ... and yet ...

Edited by onthedarkside
meme graphic removed

Just now, KhunLA said:

The 'experts' that point out the obvious, and try to sound so intelligent. 

Prefer the 'global warming/rising ocean' experts myself.   But ask them what they are doing to slow or prevent said ecological disaster of a whole 1C or 30cm over the next 100 yrs, maybe. 

Nothing .... still driving fossil fuel vehicles, using energy from, and taking international holidays ... ????  I guess 'hypocrite' isn't in their vocabulary.

Thinkin many would welcome it being a bit warmer.   Rising oceans, hmm...stop building oceanfront.

Coming in 2nd place ... EV haters telling how horrible it is to own, and yet ... don't own.

And 3rd place ... those that blame guns for killing people ... and yet ...

image.png.3c0960fda6c7350d4deb3c428fe76a84.png

Have you ever tried a sense of humour? Probably not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Have you ever tried a sense of humour? Probably not. 

Laugh everyday at some of the queries & answers...

... inclusive

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It appears you don't have any connections in Thailand of skilled workers hence the reason things turned out the way they did

I did the smartest thing actually, used the entire services of home pro from A to Z. Down lights, fans, Renovation (skim walls), TVs, furniture all from the one shop. 

As another poster stated Sydney’s building reputation of people losing out deposits plus dodgy jobs leave little to no recourse. I had quotes from multiple companies including foreign owned ones but i purposely chose home pro. 

The entire Reno was only 40k in which they ended up paying back 10k in cash for scratched fridge and a 10k discount on a TV.

I could show the photo of me and the entire home pro staff taking a photo with a signed contract on my hand saying they had paid me 10k lol but no one wants to see my ugly head for less than 1500st.

To note I am not the original poster here I was merely telling op why this site has haters… 

Check the avg age of posters and you'll find that these complaints are typical at that age group anywhere in the (western) world.

Seems to be a right of passage to just start complaining after a certain age haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

but it's boring listening to the same old gripes ad infinitum. nobody cares that you suck at life and can't handle the tropical heat. either grow a thicker skin or get on the next flight out. simples.

I’d agree with you if people are complaining about the head.. but thats not it... they complain about many subjects. 

I speak with my Thai friends and come on this site and read exactly the same opinions from posters who are then told ‘go home if you don’t like it’  by fools who think we are guests in this country and have no rights to an opinion. 

I discuss with my Wife who reads Pantip.com (a Thai forum) who discusses with me exactly the same complaints I see on this forum.

I see far more similarity in our ‘observation’ with our Thai neighbours and peers that I do differences - yet there are many who cannot handle that ‘non-Thais’ (i.e. us on the forum) have opinions which are not always rose tinted, complimentary or entirely positive and accuse them of being a Thai basher or ‘hating’..... 

There are of course ‘Thai bashers’ but they are far far fewer than implied by the frequency of accusations thrown around against people who have valid gripes, negative experiences and accurate opinions.....  

... A lot of the same people who voice these negative opinions are also often the voice of reason instead of burying their heads in the sand and refusing to accept anything is other than perfect. 

Its all about balance - there are nut-cases at both ends of the spectrum... but because someone has a negative (or even positive) opinion, it doesn’t make them a ’basher’ a ‘hater’ or even 'rosed tinted' at the other end of the spectrum if their opinions are factual and presented with balance. 

The issue is that the voices on the extreme and fringes are often the loudest and dilute the validity of the genuine points presented with greater balance. 

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

why so many haters? because they're neo-colonialists who came here eyes wide shut and then got butthurt when the "third world" savages didn't collapse in awe of their Western superiority. 

I've had plenty of Thai ladies collapse in awe at the size of my western wallet. 

• Haha 2