Why are there so many haters on this site?

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d agree with you if people are complaining about the head.. but thats not it... they complain about many subjects. 

I speak with my Thai friends and come on this site and read exactly the same opinions from posters who are then told ‘go home if you don’t like it’  by fools who think we are guests in this country and have no rights to an opinion. 

I discuss with my Wife who reads Pantip.com (a Thai forum) who discusses with me exactly the same complaints I see on this forum.

I see far more similarity in our ‘observation’ with our Thai neighbours and peers that I do differences - yet there are many who cannot handle that ‘non-Thais’ (i.e. us on the forum) have opinions which are not always rose tinted, complimentary or entirely positive and accuse them of being a Thai basher or ‘hating’..... 

There are of course ‘Thai bashers’ but they are far far fewer than implied by the frequency of accusations thrown around against people who have valid gripes, negative experiences and accurate opinions.....  

... A lot of the same people who voice these negative opinions are also often the voice of reason instead of burying their heads in the sand and refusing to accept anything is other than perfect. 

Its all about balance - there are nut-cases at both ends of the spectrum... but because someone has a negative (or even positive) opinion, it doesn’t make them a ’basher’ a ‘hater’ or even 'rosed tinted' at the other end of the spectrum if their opinions are factual and presented with balance. 

The issue is that the voices on the extreme and fringes are often the loudest and dilute the validity of the genuine points presented with greater balance. 

I don't hang out with the Thai version of the haters & complainers either.  Just shake my head or chuckle at them.

Something bothers you, change it, or avoid it.  Problem solved.  You always have a choice.

Choose wisely.  Crying about it, never helps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

why so many haters? because they're neo-colonialists who came here eyes wide shut and then got butthurt when the "third world" savages didn't collapse in awe of their Western superiority. 

That sounds about right.

Cheers!

????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d agree with you if people are complaining about the head.. but thats not it... they complain about many subjects. 

I speak with my Thai friends and come on this site and read exactly the same opinions from posters who are then told ‘go home if you don’t like it’  by fools who think we are guests in this country and have no rights to an opinion. 

I discuss with my Wife who reads Pantip.com (a Thai forum) who discusses with me exactly the same complaints I see on this forum.

I see far more similarity in our ‘observation’ with our Thai neighbours and peers that I do differences - yet there are many who cannot handle that ‘non-Thais’ (i.e. us on the forum) have opinions which are not always rose tinted, complimentary or entirely positive and accuse them of being a Thai basher or ‘hating’..... 

There are of course ‘Thai bashers’ but they are far far fewer than implied by the frequency of accusations thrown around against people who have valid gripes, negative experiences and accurate opinions.....  

... A lot of the same people who voice these negative opinions are also often the voice of reason instead of burying their heads in the sand and refusing to accept anything is other than perfect. 

Its all about balance - there are nut-cases at both ends of the spectrum... but because someone has a negative (or even positive) opinion, it doesn’t make them a ’basher’ a ‘hater’ or even 'rosed tinted' at the other end of the spectrum if their opinions are factual and presented with balance. 

The issue is that the voices on the extreme and fringes are often the loudest and dilute the validity of the genuine points presented with greater balance. 

I don't agree it is foolish to think we are guests here 

To voice opinions is down to the individual, the question would be are these rants hoping to instigate change? If not then just a rant, if yes then how many actually connect with the correct Thai authority that may eventually be responsible for implementing change? No? Then again drops into the rant category  ????

Thailand isn't perfect, whether this is seen as part of the charm, or something to be corrected is again down to the individual

So how are complainers and moaners doing so far, is there somewhere a grand list of accelerated change? ????

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I don't agree it is foolish to think we are guests here ......

.... So how are complainers and moaners doing so far, is there somewhere a grand list of accelerated change? ????

The simple fact we have to ask permission to stay, every year, yes, we ARE guests.

Been hearing the same complaints for 20+ years, all passed up the 'chain of command' and have noticed absolutely no change for our benefits.

Only good changes, enforcement of Imm rules, which got rid of some complainers ????

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I don't hang out with the Thai version of the haters & complainers either.  Just shake my head or chuckle at them.

Something bothers you, change it, or avoid it.  Problem solved.  You always have a choice.

Choose wisely.  Crying about it, never helps.

Are the people you 'hang out' with smug and self righteous by any chance? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Are the people you 'hang out' with smug and self righteous by any chance? ????

Nah, don't hang out with them either ... ????

I don't do negative ... PEACE & LOVE BABY ... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nah, don't hang out with them either ... ????

I don't do negative ... PEACE & LOVE BABY ... 

Yet you seem to bring out negativity in people you talk to on here ????.

Passive aggression is not attractive 'baby'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yet you seem to bring out negativity in people you talk to on here ????.

Passive aggression is not attractive 'baby'. 

Not my fault they can't A2D ... ????????

On 7/23/2022 at 4:24 PM, richard_smith237 said:

but we are guests in their country and they call the shots whether you like it or not. as @KhunLAsaid, no amount of clamouring has to date driven any significant change.

so when someone posts something like "I went to immigration today and it was the usual third-world corrupt debacle, why can't these incompetent people get their act together like in Farang Utopia" , all I hear is the sad rambling of a geezer who can't cut it here and should most definitely go home and not let the door got them on the way out.

kthxbye ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

1 cheap rent

2 cheap food

3 cheap women

4 climate

5 less pc

6 less boring plus more things open late

It is better for you because that is all you can afford.

I am pretty sure if you could afford a $50 million dollar ocean front mansion on the Riviera, you would be there or anywhere else that fit your budget.

Women are only cheap because they are desparately poor, more so than yourself. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

It is better for you because that is all you can afford.

I am pretty sure if you could afford a $50 million dollar ocean front mansion on the Riviera, you would be there or anywhere else that fit your budget.

Women are only cheap because they are desparately poor, more so than yourself. 

No i dont care for posh. Id rent and leave 49.9m in bank.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Pouatchee said:

Dude get a life. You obviously haven't been here long enough to understand that you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. I vent my frustrations here at times because when I try to do it with my wife she doesn't understand. Try working in a Thai school to see what is going on. You will be segregated and looked down upon by Thai admin that wouldn't be allowed to clean toilets in a school back in the west. Before asking questions like yours, live a little then express yourself. Why am I still here? Cos I have 2 cars, a cool motorcycle, a pretty wife and I can go to the beach when I want to. Life is still cheaper here, but not for long. 

Honesty what did you expect moving all the way to Thailand and having to work in their education system?

Thailand is one place for me, I would never live if I had to work for those exact reasons you mention and 100 more!

On 7/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, 4MyEgo said:

That says it all, after living here in the village in rural Thailand for the past 7 years in our 6 bed 3 bathroom house which cost me 2.5 mil baht, which is about 10% of what it would cost me to build the same house in Sydney, now add another 45,000,000 baht for the land in Sydney which cost me 120,000 baht here on 1,000 square metres with a 20 metre frontage and no side, rear or opposite the road neighbours, it perfect for us, although close enough to neighbours 100 metres either side of us and the village 200 metres up the road.

Do I need to go on, ok, m8 sent me a receipt the other day, 2 Lebanese cucumbers $4.18, we purchased 5 bags with 5 cucumbers in each for 20 baht each which works out to $4.00, and on that receipt a single lime $1.29, we purchased a kilo of lime here for $1.60, plus I think we all know about the $12 (300 baht) iceberg lettuce and the $13 (325 baht) cabbage.  

You failed to mention what your condo would cost you in Sydney or your reno's would cost to do in Sydney if you could actually find someone as there is a major shortage of tradies and they will take both your arms in the process.

It appears you don't have any connections in Thailand of skilled workers hence the reason things turned out the way they did.

Just had 6 power points added and two recessed lights replaced 500 baht for labour, changed two roofs coverings of metal sheeting, 3.2 metres x 1.2 metres each x 15 sheets, 2,600 baht labour, all materials supplied by me.

Prior to leaving Sydney, I had some tiling done which I could have done myself but was too busy making the bacon and getting ready to leave the place to come and live here, a small area on both sides of the kitchen walls and around the window, very little cutting, tiles were 600 x 200 an easy 2 hour job, $400 or 10,000 baht, and he was the 3rd guy I called, the other 2 were a no show.

Thailand is not perfect, but neither is Sydney, but I can tell you one thing for sure, I will survive here in Thailand longer than I would in Sydney and that's without working, rents here are cheap, properties are cheap, labour is cheap, you have everything here that you have in Sydney, $12 drivers license, vs $190 drivers license and the list can go on.

Life's more relaxed here, but then again, it's not for everyone and if you think buying a condo in Pattaya is going to work out for you, well it's not, i.e. unless your prepared to accept Thailand for what it is, like I said, it's not perfect, but to me, it's far better than Sydney if your wanting a far less stressful (controlled) life and great weather all year round.

Each to their own ????

You have a house in Thailand worth exactly what you paid for it.

Our western house has appreciated US $400,000 since we bought it.

Then again, we could never sell our 26 rai and 4/3 house in Isaan. No one stupid enough to pay that much for it that far out in the boonies and want to farm rice. Then again, I don't compare it to Sydney or Hawaii.

How in the world you can compare rural Thailand to Sydney? 

It is cheap because it is in the third world. I hope you can understand that? Have you been to the opera lately in Isaan?

Has Australia purchased any submarines lately with no engines or fake bomb scanners?

There is a reason there is the first world and the third world.

First world you own things in your own name for instance. You speak you own language. You get the drift.

Some folks in the west can afford it and would never think of moving to Thailand because it is cheap.

Rural Appalachia in the US is dirt cheap too. Want to go live in a "Deliverance" type of environment because it is cheap?

Some folks marry a Thai and live here because of their wives wishes.

Some folks move to Africa, don't ask me why?

Some folks move to Mexico and South America.

Each person has their own choice of where they want to live.

Comparing the third world to the first world? Just does not make any sense.

Pretty sure if you would afford a waterfront mansion in Sydney, you wouldn't be in rural Thailand.

Life all boils down to what a person can or cannot afford. No matter where it is.

Has nothing to do with comparisons that make zero sense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/23/2022 at 10:03 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Her dream is to run a food truck when we go back to the States. I keep warning her it won't be as easy.

I used to run one.....never again..much like a boat...the best days are the day u bought the boat and the day u sell it....constant upkeep and maintenance...permits and commissary 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Couple of years ago I designed this cab and built it with my brother in law so my inlaws could have something other than farming to make an income.

The whole thing can slide in and out of the pickup, if you don't need to use it.

I seem to remember at the time it was about 9,000 baht for the materials.

We got a wholesale deal for the drink syrup from a Thai guy that was just starting out.

Drinks, soda, bottled water, hot coffee, noodles, chips, cookies, candy, toys and other things.

At festivals and events, they could make up to 10,000 baht.

locally a few hundred to 2000 baht a day if they set up in the village market

The electrics were powered by a gas powered generator and if I remember right, that was another 12K as we also used that around the farm. A small one would be much cheaper.

t1.jpg

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

can i pay u rent to sleep in there...has all the snacks i need..  ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Couple of years ago I designed this cab and built it with my brother in law so my inlaws could have something other than farming to make an income.

The whole thing can slide in and out of the pickup, if you don't need to use it.

I seem to remember at the time it was about 9,000 baht for the materials.

We got a wholesale deal for the drink syrup from a Thai guy that was just starting out.

Drinks, soda, bottled water, hot coffee, noodles, chips, cookies, candy, toys and other things.

At festivals and events, they could make up to 10,000 baht.

locally a few hundred to 2000 baht a day if they set up in the village market

The electrics were powered by a gas powered generator and if I remember right, that was another 12K as we also used that around the farm. A small one would be much cheaper.

t1.jpg

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

You can also buy wholesale clothes very cheap at the giant market in Aranyaprathet, Thailand, which is quite close to the friendship bridge. My clan was selling retail for only 39 baht and the wholesale price was crazy cheap.

c1.jpg

Edited by KIngsofisaan
  • Like 1

The OP asks a good question. There are two main types of haters both  are low intelligence. One group are not here and unlikely to come here but they may have been here once. They failed here and cant get back. The other group are the failed people who are stuck here after a catalogue of bad decisions. Inadequates, racists, failures, low intelligence, often from small town backgrounds they lack life and travel experience.

Many suffer from depression often induced by bad liver and too much bad beer.

Other are just damaged people who carry their emotional bagge with them and empty it in our laps.

Others are just dreary <deleted> who think whinging is a valid personality trait.

Decades past here until I actual met two of them in real life- not on this forum in a bar. They were thick as bricks, couldn't speak a word of Thai after 15 years, and proud of the fact! They demeaned the Thais around them (upon whom they depended entirely). They had zero self awareness about how absurd they were.

Until I met these guys I didn't think such people really existed!

I could go on but I wont

Edited by The Hammer2021

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's in our nature to complain. Hate is too strong a word.

Not so. Many people are far more tolerant than others. There's a particular personality trait associated with hate. It's called sociopathy. It's so common that it has a medical definition.

• Like 1

There is a certain country in Latin America that is notorious for the haughty attitude of its citizens.  Their superiority seems to be borne of race: they think of themselves as white, but people from other countries would probably not describe them as such.  Because their country is great they are the product and possessors of that greatness. 

However, in the course of my travels,  the people there are the most conscious of treating foreigners as guests.  They take it personally to impress that they are great people of a great country.  People not of pale-skinned, European descent are not given this treatment, any person of indigenous descent there can tell you this. 

My point is just because you, the foreigner, are treated like a guest it is not necessarily a welcoming attitude.