Two "visas"

I have an O-A (ext of stay actually) which runs out on August 15 but I want to return to Thailand on Aug 5th for a freind's leaving party.

I don't want to enter on the O-A I just want to enter as a tourist and then go the non-O route.

Is this possible by any machination or will the O-A block me entering as a tourista? Or must I wait until the O-A expires? Or enter on the O-A and go to Singapore on 15th and come back 16th? Any ideas welcome.

Thank you

Edited by MRToMRT
added ext of stay info

As implied above, there are three separate cases:

1. You have a Non O-A visa that is not expired. In that case, the immigration officer on entry is almost certainly going to insist that you use it (if you can satisfy the insurance requirement). He may or may not agree to stamp you in visa exempt if you cannot meet the insurance requirement. The embassy that issued the Non O-A visa might be willing to cancel it prior to your trip. You would need to ask them.
  2. You have an extension of stay from an original entry on a Non O-A visa, together with a re-entry permit. In that case, you can ask the immigration officer to stamp you in visa exempt, but it is at his discretion whether to comply. Especially when there is a period of months left on your extension of stay, he may well insist on stamping you in on the re-entry permit.
  3. You have an extension of stay, but left Thailand without a re-entry permit. This is the easy case. You will get your visa exempt entry.
Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

The big question is:

Do you have a re-entry permit ?

I am assuming you do and want to override it with a visa exempt entry to pursue the non O route ??, which I don’t think is possible although I vaguely recall a poster inquiring about a similar case a few years ago, don’t remember the outcome.

Perhaps @ubonjoe can shed some light ?

On 7/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, DrJack54 said:

You state "extension of stay"

Is your non O-A that is valid for 12 months expired..?

Do you have a reentry permit? 

Yes I have an extension of stay based on my original O-A (which ran out last August) and a re-entry permit both of which run out on Aug 15 this year

8 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Yes I have an extension of stay based on my original O-A (which ran out last August) and a re-entry permit both of which run out on Aug 15 this year

Think an option would be to ask immigration officer if he will stamp you in for 30days.

Overlook your reentry permit.

If rejected obviously receive the until stamp given to Aug 15.

Deal with your party etc. 

Then do a border bounce when your permit is expiring and reenter visa exempt. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1