Climate change, global warming, net zero emissions – What has Thailand done so far?

webfact

38 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So what was Patong in 1562 april 6th?

You should ask Portuguese explorer Fernão Mendes Pinto who visited in 1545, he called Phuket, Junk Ceylon, not sure if he was still around on the 6th April 1562

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not kidding myself as I'm:

1. Saving money

2. less air pollution

3. have independence & self control of my living environment

Pretty much the only things I care about.   More money in the pocket is always a plus, and less air pollution, who doesn't like that.  Not seeing any negative, all pluses in my world.

Global warming, don't care.

But I'm not the ones complaining about countries not doing enough, when they themselves aren't doing anything.  I avoid being a hypocrite .... when possible.

Yes, EVs are a bit more eco friendly than ICE, and solar better than most grid power from fossil.  Not much argument about that.   Just saving 1 oil spill on land or sea is worth it alone.

If that is what you want to believe, up to you. The facts contradict you. The carbon dioxide produced in making and operating an electric vehicle with a 400 mile operating range exceed a comparable ICE, it's only EV's with a much shorter range and less weight of battery to carry around that are better.

I'm too old to worry about global warming and climate change, I'll be gone before the models become reality. Having said that, I do prefer facts and data over beliefs.

Perhaps Herr Putin will make the discussion academic by giving us all a nuclear winter.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've got a science degree (Bath University) and a postgrad in education (Bristol University).

How about you?

Did you study thermodynamics in that science degree? Many courses omit it as being too difficult.

If you did study thermodynamics, you either did not understand it, or don't want to now.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Did you study thermodynamics in that science degree? Many courses omit it as being too difficult.

If you did study thermodynamics, you either did not understand it, or don't want to now.

Not an issue. Co2 is used in closed greenhouses. The issue is feedback in an open environment.

There is also the law of diminishing returns.

How big is the curve? The bigger the curve the less impact it has.

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not an issue. Co2 is used in closed greenhouses. The issue is feedback in an open environment.

There is also the law of diminishing returns.

How big is the curve? The bigger the curve the less impact it has.

Not an issue for who?

CO2 has never been higher for hundreds of thousands of years

image.png.1832875cb8228a26949a01c798ee2e0f.png

https://timescavengers.blog/climate-change/co2-past-present-future/

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not a problem for who?

Law of diminishing returns.

Have a look at the curve.

Research. See what you find.

Co2 law of diminishing returns - read up on it

Also crop yields in medieval period.

Edited by Sparktrader

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Law of diminishing returns.

Have a look at the curve.

Research. See what you find.

Co2 law of diminishing returns - read up on it

Also crop yields in medieval period.

I suggest you research the what you find in the link I posted, you are talking nonsense

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not an issue for who?

The main point here is: if atmospheric CO2rises slowly enough, the entire ocean has time to mix and buffer the CO2 that it absorbs, without becoming too acidic. That is why during other intervals in Earth’s history when CO2 was really high, like during the Ordovician, or during the Mesozoic (200-100 million years ago), life flourished and the oceans were habitable to marine organisms. 

(From your link)

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

The main point here is: if atmospheric CO2rises slowly enough, the entire ocean has time to mix and buffer the CO2 that it absorbs, without becoming too acidic. That is why during other intervals in Earth’s history when CO2 was really high, like during the Ordovician, or during the Mesozoic (200-100 million years ago), life flourished and the oceans were habitable to marine organisms. 

(From your link)

Look at the chart, it is not rising slowly

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

The link you sent me: https://clintel.org/carbon-dioxide-has-reached-a-point-of-diminishing-returns/

Fact checked for you:

A fact check performed by climate scientists for Climate Feedback gave the letter an overall scientific credibility of "very low", and tagged it as "Biased, Cherry-picking, Inaccurate, Misleading". The analysis also added that, out of the roughly 500 signatories, only 10 self-identified as climate scientists

10 is a lot. Show me papers with more than that.

11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

not so much.. nowhere solar panels to be seen, electric cars loading points only a few available....polution by burning ricefields, overcrowded roads and a lot blacksmole cars will not reduce the pollution..

"...nowhere solar panels to be seen"

Installation of solar panels is up to the consumer, not the government but there are plenty of solar panels to be seen in this country.  Even in this tiny forum there are a number of solar users. 

"a lot blacksmole cars".

Where are you seeing all these significant numbers of black smoke emitting cars?  

"...electric cars loading points only a few available".

There are thousands of EV charging stations throughout Thailand.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, tingtong said:

So far Thailand bought it's first submarine without an engine....a huge step toward zero emission!!

Yes indeed. Maybe we should all be buying submarines that aren't going anywhere.

6 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The big supermarket chains, 7-11, etc. should be obliged to take back their packaging waste and dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way. At present, most of the packaging waste is only unfiltered incinerated.

Exactly who do you think is going to return their waste to the supermarkets and 7-11s?

11 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

10 is a lot. Show me papers with more than that.

It was a letter not a paper, links in the article I provided, feel free top explore:

"Berkhout founded the Netherlands-based organization Climate Intelligence Foundation (CLINTEL). Mid 2019 plans of CLINTEL and Berkhout were leaked showing that they were organizing a campaign against political commitments to net zero carbon emissions being made into law. The campaign features a number of academics and industry figures with ties to climate change sceptics groups, as well as members from oil and gas companies"

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It was a letter not a paper, links in the article I provided, feel free top explore:

"Berkhout founded the Netherlands-based organization Climate Intelligence Foundation (CLINTEL). Mid 2019 plans of CLINTEL and Berkhout were leaked showing that they were organizing a campaign against political commitments to net zero carbon emissions being made into law. The campaign features a number of academics and industry figures with ties to climate change sceptics groups, as well as members from oil and gas companies"

You really need to do more research - Look up who has investments in renewables and what they say.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/01/al-gore-puts-600m-into-uk-green-energy-tech-startup-octopus-energy-group/

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The UK judge still allowed it to be shown in UK schools. 

"A spokesman for the Department of Children, Schools and Families said the agency was “delighted” that students could continue to see the film."

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The UK judge still allowed it to be shown in UK schools. 

"A spokesman for the Department of Children, Schools and Families said the agency was “delighted” that students could continue to see the film."

Burton’s ruling said there is “now common ground that it is not simply a science film — although it is clear that it is based substantially on scientific research and opinion — but that it is a political film, albeit of course not party political.”

Political film.

sad to be scaring kids with misinformation.

• Confused 1