Thai ID card

You will need your birth certificate showing your mother's and father's name. You will also need your passport and birth certificate translated and stamped by an official translator.

Your initial aim will be to apply for a yellow book. The ID card comes when you have one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Probably depends on where you apply for it,i was never asked for a birth certificate.

I just needed my passport translated.

I just needed my Danish passport, not translated and the names of my mother and father for getting the yellow book, later I got the pink ID card.

It is best to ask at the local amphur what they want from you to get the yellow book.

I think that if you live in the countryside it will be easier to get a cheaper bill at the local hospital than in a city.

• Like 2

Applying for the yellow book, prior to applying for the Non-Thai pink ID card, can be as easy as presenting your passport up to a downright refusal.

Many threads on this subject with MANY different experiences , certified copies of passport from Embassy and translation at MFA is popular as is your birth certificate ( for parents names ), 2 x witnesses sometimes required, marriage certificates or , in my case, a translated certified copy of a decree nisi could also be required.

In short: a visit to your Amphur to get the list of required documents is the only way to find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

"Cheaper" with regards to the health care system means, you have to go to the government hospital, where registering with your pink ID card will be a bit faster, BUT will NOT give you any discount on the prices they charge. 

And you may still incur the 'foreigner surcharge' now allowed to have dual pricing for foreigner's hospital bills.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think so 

In Udon Thani, when I needed some medical care in the Nong Saeng district back in 2014, due to some food poisoning , I had my Yellow Book and Pink ID already, and the local Government hospital admitted me with my information and treated me.  I stayed in the government hospital in a semi-private room with two others, both Thai's, and when discharged my fee was less than 4k Thb.  Had the family taken me into Udon and to BKK Hospital the cost would have surely been more than 20k Thb.  Of course I had my own HI from the US which would of paid, but being treated in the local provincial hospital ended up being cheaper, and I just surmised it was by having the Yellow Book and Pink ID.  

I have a Friend who has had a few surgical procedures done in the provincial hospital there in Nong Saeng, and the cost was very cheap.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

And you may still incur the 'foreigner surcharge' now allowed to have dual pricing for foreigner's hospital bills.

To that one has to wonder how that would affect treatment in a provincial hospital now versus a few years back.

8 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

plain wrong

It sure was cheaper for me many years ago and others I know who were registered in the provincial hospitals data base.  Treated just as a Thai would be, but then definitely not the 30 Thb scheme, but still a lot cheaper than at one of the private big name hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In Udon Thani, when I needed some medical care in the Nong Saeng district back in 2014, due to some food poisoning , I had my Yellow Book and Pink ID already, and the local Government hospital admitted me with my information and treated me.  I stayed in the government hospital in a semi-private room with two others, both Thai's, and when discharged my fee was less than 4k Thb.  Had the family taken me into Udon and to BKK Hospital the cost would have surely been more than 20k Thb.  Of course I had my own HI from the US which would of paid, but being treated in the local provincial hospital ended up being cheaper, and I just surmised it was by having the Yellow Book and Pink ID.  

I have a Friend who has had a few surgical procedures done in the provincial hospital there in Nong Saeng, and the cost was very cheap.

Agree and gov't hospital always, usually cheaper, considerably most times.

Had hemorrhoids dealt with at Paolo Hosp (now BKK), and surgeon said he could have done at UT govt hosp much cheaper, but they didn't have a private room available, so I went with PH.

I don't wards, or semi-private, especially in hot, mozzy season.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

It sure was cheaper for me many years ago and others I know who were registered in the provincial hospitals data base.  Treated just as a Thai would be, but then definitely not the 30 Thb scheme, but still a lot cheaper than at one of the private big name hospitals.

And still is

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

To that one has to wonder how that would affect treatment in a provincial hospital now versus a few years back.

Does not exist in my local Udon Thani hospital, just the same as you experienced

• Thanks 1

Thai ID card will not give you free medical I can tell you that from experience and since the government opened up a free for all to allow government hospitals to charge what they want the prices have at least doubled if not trebled hope you’ve got deep pockets if your near a private hospital it might be a good idea to get a quote as now days the charges are similar 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

Tomorrow I apply for 1 year visa based marriage.

I doubt you will obtain  a pink ID card already if you are just starting your 1 year extension.

Even if free medical is not an option, however, the card offers many advantages IMO, and you should definitely look into that eventually.

This was one thing for which I did use an agent, and I was happy with that.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, a government hospital is cheaper than a private hospital. This has nothing to do with the pink id card.

You could have registered at the government hospital with your passport and would have paid the same.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Just be aware most Thai government hospitals will require a Social Security number (retired do not qualify)to to get Thai healthcare. 

Thai hospitals offer free (30 baht) care to any Thai who is registered for their coverage area or are referred to them.  SS is an entirely different system and offers a choice of hospitals and retired do qualify if they keep service AFAIK.  Thai government hospitals do not require a SS number to get pay for service healthcare, which i believe you stated getting recently.  

• Like 2