Thai ID card

42 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Just be aware most Thai government hospitals will require a Social Security number (retired do not qualify)to to get Thai healthcare. 

There is an option to continue paying in and receiving healthcare after you retire. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Applying for the yellow book, prior to applying for the Non-Thai pink ID card, can be as easy as presenting your passport up to a downright refusal.

Many threads on this subject with MANY different experiences , certified copies of passport from Embassy and translation at MFA is popular as is your birth certificate ( for parents names ), 2 x witnesses sometimes required, marriage certificates or , in my case, a translated certified copy of a decree nisi could also be required.

In short: a visit to your Amphur to get the list of required documents is the only way to find out.

Very true, especially since for many items the documentary etc., requirements changes province by province / amphur office by amphur office.

I have the Thai pink ID card because I have Thai Permanent Residence - PR <for 24 years> which also means my name is registered in the standard dark blue family tabien baan book.

With my Thai adult son we have asked at 2 government hospitals whether the pink card or the PR book or name in dark blue tabien baan book brings any entitlement to discounted medical card. On both occasions a polite by definite NO.

We did confirm that there is a specific costing list per medical service for all foreigners. As one example in the Chiang mai - Nth Thailand area a standard bed in private room is 1,500Baht per night including meals and basic nursing services. The standard 1,500Baht fee includes a relative / close friend sleeping in the room with bed/sofa provided (no extra charge), but the relative must provide their own meals.   

• Like 1

On my one and only visit to a government hospital, I presented my Thai pink ID. It was not refused but my passport was also required. The private room @ B1300 per night for 2 nights was about a quarter of the total price. The operation and ancillaries making up the remainder. This was KK General about 4 years ago and I have to say the service was first class. If needed again, I would certainly make it my first port of call.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

I need an operation and thought if I can obtain one I could get free medical treatment.

Thai ID-card for foreigners is used as identification and for address, you don't get free medical service, you need either insurance or to pay for it.

If you are working in Thailand and contribute to Social Security, you will have health cover there.

Friend of mine threw his pink "ID" card away when he found out it wasn't ID and wasn't accepted anywhere.  Plus when you have one, you're not supposed to leave the Province of registration without the Governor's permission.  It's more of an Alien's card for workers and he said it says on the card that it is only valid in the Province it was issued.

• Like 1

The Pink Card that comes with the Yellow Book, upon request, offers zero benefits that I have experienced, except for ID. However, a Pink Card issued to Permanent Residents, who have specifically applied for PR with working rights and etc. has a tiny PR printed on it that the ordinary Pink Card does not. The PR Pink Card provides free 'Emergency Care' at 'any' hospital, even BNH. 

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Isn't that crazy, when a Thai Passport is in English!

No - local district office requirement is Thai language - just as with marriage.  Nothing to do with MFA.  And a Thai passport is also in Thai as well as English.

• Like 1

Pranburi.. make an appointment.. then they will suggest a local translator to get you

"certified"  translated copies of  passport / birth cert  copies of wife's  Blue book

sign here, here. here. and bring a witness to the  Amphur.. that gets u the  yellow book

then u get an appointment for next week to get the  ID card

here's the  kicker  very top of the card,, in Thai script .. 

ID card of a person that does not have Thai Nationality

back of the card in Thai script

Code of conduct for ID card holders

Line #1     "This Card Is Not an Identity Card"

now you know !!!

at least you can check into a hotel without your PP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoudHailer said:

The Pink Card that comes with the Yellow Book, upon request, offers zero benefits that I have experienced, except for ID. However, a Pink Card issued to Permanent Residents, who have specifically applied for PR with working rights and etc. has a tiny PR printed on it that the ordinary Pink Card does not. The PR Pink Card provides free 'Emergency Care' at 'any' hospital, even BNH. 

Can any PR holder confirm

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats a myth, the statement on the card says no travel if travel restrictions apply (Burmese migrant workers). The card is valid all over Thailand, there are no travel restrictions for expats, people with PR etc.

The note on the card says that you are not allowed to leave the area where it was issued unless you have a passport with you.

There are no travel restrictions for Burmese migrant workers, they have a passport and thus can travel anywhere they want.

1 hour ago, LoudHailer said:

However, a Pink Card issued to Permanent Residents, who have specifically applied for PR with working rights and etc. has a tiny PR printed on it that the ordinary Pink Card does not. The PR Pink Card provides free 'Emergency Care' at 'any' hospital, even BNH. 

No

2 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

Friend of mine threw his pink "ID" card away when he found out it wasn't ID and wasn't accepted anywhere.  Plus when you have one, you're not supposed to leave the Province of registration without the Governor's permission.  It's more of an Alien's card for workers and he said it says on the card that it is only valid in the Province it was issued.

Again more misinformation....please stop

• Like 2

4 hours ago, userabcd said:

The pink ID card basically does not confer any benefits for a temporary foreigner on visa extensions that a Thai citizen would enjoy despite what they may think. Sometimes some get lucky with it.

edit:  after going back and reading Peterw post i would agree that i have used my pink card in similar ways ( easy to pull out and show if not having passport on me)  Sometimes the office or bank would not want to accept it .    More useful ( i have found)  is the yellow house book that foreigners living here can usually obtain at the Amphur where they reside.  ( here too, the "rules"  for getting one depend on the Amphur)

I have always ( at least 15 years)  used this yellow book to prove my address for the Motor Vehicle Dept    AND    when doing my yearly visa extension .   No problems  ( this is in CM ) and also Lamphun  province

Edited by rumak

2 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

There is a note on a pink ID 

บัตรนี้มิใช่บัตรประจำตัวประชาชน which means "this card is not an ID card"

Your translation is wrong, it means "This card is not a Thai citizen ID card".

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again more misinformation....please stop

I am all for refuting misinformation but the way to do that is to present concrete facts and not pleas.  Is there anyone (maybe you?) able to scan the front and rear of a pink ID card so that we can run it through a translator?  Has you or anyone got a link to the relevant Thai laws about these cards?  I think this information is needed rather badly.

Just now, DiDiChok said:

I am all for refuting misinformation but the way to do that is to present concrete facts and not pleas.  Is there anyone (maybe you?) able to scan the front and rear of a pink ID card so that we can run it through a translator?  Has you or anyone got a link to the relevant Thai laws about these cards?  I think this information is needed rather badly.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I understand correctly… Significantly cheaper as it grants you access to the Thai healthcare system. 

Don't think so 

6 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

yes, that is EXACTLY what I am saying. I have the yellow house book and the pink ID card. The card does NOT give you access to the health care system in the way the Thai 30 Baht scheme does or in the way the social security system does, if you are working and paying taxes. 

6 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

plain wrong

4 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

From very recent experience I can unequivocally state that a Pink ID card will not get one into the Thai healthcare system on its own. Siriraj Hospital has a 25% foreigner surcharge even with Pink ID

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding...

I don’t know why, but I understood that being registered and having a 13 digit Thailand issued ID number (which is also our tax number) gave us access to the 30 baht Thai Healthcare scheme - It seems I have indeed misunderstood this situation.

(I’ve never needed it because I’ve always had Medical Insurance - but I thought I could rely in the Thai issued ID number as a fallback - clearly I’m mistaken)

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(I’ve never needed it because I’ve always had Medical Insurance - but I thought I could rely in the Thai issued ID number as a fallback - clearly I’m mistaken)

You can still use Thai Government Hospitals as a paying customer if needed financially - but much better to have insurance and a choice.  There is also a factor of our taking queue spot from those that the system is designed to serve (but that also applies to Thai using pay for service facilities).  For day to day care this is likely not a big issue - but for major surgery it can be.

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Can any PR holder confirm

I've had PR for 24 years.

The post just above says 'working rights'. I'm not sure what the poster means but if it means PR holders automatically have permission to work in Thailand then that's NOT TRUE.

PR holders still need a work permit.

1 hour ago, DiDiChok said:

can work work in Thailand

Also neeed is a photo of the pink card with the letters PR. 

With such photo I will go to the CM main amphur office and ask for my current pink card to be reissued with the card showing PR.

I also wonder what details are on the back of the pink card with the letters PR.

• Like 1

I have used my local government hospital and have always paid for treatment except for the covid Pfizer jabs.

My health insurance policy nearest hospital is both private and government so I suspect when I need to use it I will be in the private building.

I have always found the costs for treatment that I have paid for to be very reasonable.

I have had a yellow book and pink ID card for years.

Lots of good information about Thai ID. But the reality is you will never, never, never get “free” Thai medical care based on citizenship. Two problems. One you are not a Thai citizen (Thai ID card or Drivers License) does not equal Thai citizenship) and two as an alternate you (I assume) have never worked in Thailand and paid taxes into the Social Security system. Visa for marriage does not include an ability to work. That is the reason they require proof of insurance and 400,000 Baht in the bank + proof of monthly income. This shows you will not become a “ public charge”. You will pay far less for medical services in Thailand generally. Even Thai citizens who are second class citizens cannot get the Thai medical. I have a friend that has been Thai his whole life but family waaaaaay back (several generations) came from Laos (this is a weakness in the Thai system) He can access the Social Security version but does not qualify for the Thai citizenship version. He wasn’t working at the time so I helped him pay his bills.

12 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Immigration doesn't care about your yellow book, supply the same documents as usual but don't supply the yellow book, they won't miss anything.

Absolutely false statement. CW accepts my Yellow TB as proof of residence for the last 10 years of extensions. Also, the TDL accepts it for DL renewal in BKK.