DMS: BA.4 & BA.5 Omicron subvariants produce more severe symptoms than BA.2

snoop1130

7 hours ago, Enzian said:

new vaccines designed for the latest variants

These new vaccines are designed for BA.1,  the variant of January/ February. 

We are at BA.4 and BA.5 now. They are not designed for this. 

Nobody knows what variant will be the fall wave.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's nailing people down that I know, Americans and British, for 9 days plus- bed ridden. Here in Pattaya

I am fully vaccinated, so some moderate fatigue for four days, didn't take my morning walk. Get your boosters, don't wait, and you can still get the new versions later this year. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.31.20.png

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am fully vaccinated, so some moderate fatigue for four days, didn't take my morning walk. Get your boosters, don't wait, and you can still get the new versions later this year. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.31.20.png

Yes. One of these people had no vaccination but had a three  day illness two months ago the other had two shots but no boosters. I had  my 4th booster last week in Pattaya

9 hours ago, Enzian said:

I just came back to the states for a visit and my doc here said wait till the new vaccines designed for the latest variants come out in the fall, and then get a booster.

And they are talking about a multivariate vaccine  soon

https://southwarknews.co.uk/news/health/groundbreaking-multi-variant-covid-19-vaccine-to-trial-at-kings-college-hospital/

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, smedly said:

two boxes of tissues instead of one

I have known Thai friends who will go to a doctor for a slight cold, next day day they show off the pile of tablets they got - meanwhile (speaking for myself) I buy a box of tissues and lay low for a couple of days

Agreed. Having a fisful of meds is akin to a badge of honour.

A hospital stay is legend status.

1 minute ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed. Having a fisful of meds is akin to a badge of honour.

A hospital stay is legend status.

That's all very funny but I have one friend very ill with covid now, bedridden  weal and scared. A strong American man with two vaccinations but no booster and one English guy second time round this time he's not laughing anymore. 9 days unable to leave his room....Now recovering waiting for long covid.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

two boxes of tissues instead of one

I have known Thai friends who will go to a doctor for a slight cold, next day day they show off the pile of tablets they got - meanwhile (speaking for myself) I buy a box of tissues and lay low for a couple of days

I spend time in the wifes' village. Went to the local clinic twice.

Bronchitis and a eye infection. Both times I received 6 diff meds looking suspiciously similar each time.

Recognized one tab as paracetamol.

Next time I will catch a bus back to my local doc in Pattaya and receive a ridgy didge antibiotic.

Just now, Lucky Bones said:

I spend time in the wifes' village. Went to the local clinic twice.

Bronchitis and a eye infection. Both times I received 6 diff meds looking suspiciously similar each time.

Recognized one tab as paracetamol.

Next time I will catch a bus back to my local doc in Pattaya and receive a ridgy didge antibiotic.

If you want antibiotics buy them from a pharmacy.

Paracetemol reduces pain, fever and inflammation.

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If you want antibiotics buy them from a pharmacy.

Paracetemol reduces pain, fever and inflammation.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that (sarcasm alert).

Not sure if the pharmacist is qualified to determine what your health issue may be. Possibly well qualified to sell what is asked of them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that (sarcasm alert).

Not sure if the pharmacist is qualified to determine what your health issue may be. Possibly well qualified to sell what is asked of them.

I just thought your condition merited paracetamol but you seemed to questioning receiving them.

Yes. The status and training of qualified pharmacacists both here and abroad and now in England allows them to diagnose and issue medicines on the basis of said diagnosis.

Amoxycyclin is probably what you would have asked and yes they would  have sold them to you unlike the UK. Amazing Thailand.

The important thing is you got better without using antibiotics or travelling here to Pattaya. Good luck.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

That's all very funny but I have one friend very ill with covid now, bedridden  weal and scared. A strong American man with two vaccinations but no booster and one English guy second time round this time he's not laughing anymore. 9 days unable to leave his room....Now recovering waiting for long covid.

Are they or were they on prescribed  antiviral treatment during their sickness ?

if taken early the treatment  can help lessen the effects.

Edited by riclag

20 minutes ago, riclag said:

Are they or were they on prescribed  antiviral treatment during their sickness ?

if taken early the treatment  can help lessen the effects.

One is still too sick to leave the room.  I don't  think but not sure they got  antivirals. Which ones are recognised as being effective?

Just for culture contrast, if you ask a pharmacist in Thailand or many parts of Europe for something for a specific problem they will suggest and sell you something. In the US, having been gone for a long time last year, I asked the CVS pharmacy for something for constipation and they went high horse and said don't ask we can't answer questions like that go see your doctor. I had forgot that I could just Google, but I did contact my Kaiser doctor and he was very helpful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I just thought your condition merited paracetamol but you seemed to questioning receiving them.

Yes. The status and training of qualified pharmacacists both here and abroad and now in England allows them to diagnose and issue medicines on the basis of said diagnosis.

Amoxycyclin is probably what you would have asked and yes they would  have sold them to you unlike the UK. Amazing Thailand.

The important thing is you got better without using antibiotics or travelling here to Pattaya. Good luck.

So, please clarify.

Are these "pharmacists" now medical practitioners?

The pharmacist can perhaps detect underlying issues relating to (say) a stomach ulcer by looking at me over the counter?

Likely that google is their #1 friend, closely followed by a sale of whatever.

11 hours ago, Enzian said:

Just for culture contrast, if you ask a pharmacist in Thailand or many parts of Europe for something for a specific problem they will suggest and sell you something. In the US, having been gone for a long time last year, I asked the CVS pharmacy for something for constipation and they went high horse and said don't ask we can't answer questions like that go see your doctor. I had forgot that I could just Google, but I did contact my Kaiser doctor and he was very helpful.

Some pharmacists are highly qualified others are just shop assistants

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

So, please clarify.

Are these "pharmacists" now medical practitioners?

The pharmacist can perhaps detect underlying issues relating to (say) a stomach ulcer by looking at me over the counter?

Likely that google is their #1 friend, closely followed by a sale of whatever.

Pharmacists have been medical practitioners for years in Thailand and some other countries. Now qualified pharmacists in the UK can diagnose and prescribe medicines. Boots the chemist in England even has an examination room nowadays

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Pharmacists have been medical practitioners for years in Thailand and some other countries. Now qualified pharmacists in the UK can diagnose and prescribe medicines. Boots the chemist in England even has an examination room nowadays

Last time I looked Thailand was not England and I can't recall seeing too many Boots here.

This is a Asean forum, not UK.

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Last time I looked Thailand was not England and I can't recall seeing too many Boots here.

This is a Asean forum, not UK.

There were around There are 277 Boots health stores in Thailand five years ago. One would assume that number has since grown some. OK, so you won't find one on every street corner, but I would imagine they're easy to find in most of Thailand's glossy malls these days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AddyA said:

There were around There are 277 Boots health stores in Thailand five years ago. One would assume that number has since grown some. OK, so you won't find one on every street corner, but I would imagine they're easy to find in most of Thailand's glossy malls these days. 

My bad. I only use Watsons to buy my evening face masks and other gender- bender goodies before visiting soi 6 Pattaya.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for boots of any and every type.

• Like 1