DMS: BA.4 & BA.5 Omicron subvariants produce more severe symptoms than BA.2

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

My bad. I only use Watsons to buy my evening face masks and other gender- bender goodies before visiting soi 6 Pattaya.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for boots of any and every type.

No probs. I wasn't trying to catch you out, but pull you up. I was in a Boots store only today, but decided to go elsewhere because of the higher price of the wanted item.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Last time I looked Thailand was not England and I can't recall seeing too many Boots here.

This is a Asean forum, not UK.

Pharmacists are an international  phenomenon and a recognised profession in many countries. It has always been the case that pharmacists in Thailand  gave medical  advice and did not just function is shop assistants. Boots is a very common  pharmacy outlet in Thailand, very common! You are mistaken.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Pharmacists are an international  phenomenon and a recognised profession in many countries. It has always been the case that pharmacists in Thailand  gave medical  advice and did not just function is shop assistants. Boots is a very common  pharmacy outlet in Thailand, very common! You are mistaken.

I have since been told that Boots are here, my bad, maybe I just don't go to those shopping malls.

Good to hear that pharmacists can give advice rather than assistance.

I'll spread the word in my village.

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Has anyone noticed the UK has reintroduced Quarantine for travellers. 10 days  hotel at £1400.

House quarantine and testing for travellers from Thailand

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm not diminishing these variants in anyway but is this a joke? The Daily Mail article is over a year old and is relating to Terminal 3 being a dedicated Red List Terminal. The UK did away with all covid red lists back in Dec last year. Terminal 3 is in normal operation and has been for months.

The article was published on 1st June 2021 and then updated for an amendment on the 29th July 2022, all they did was remove a reference to India in the sub headline which is now no longer there but was in the original.

You can view the original archive here

https://web.archive.org/web/20210601063710/https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9639105/Heathrow-T3-opens-dedicated-red-list-terminal-TODAY.html

Here's a screenshot of the India reference which is no longer in the updated article:

image.png.ba5e47bcccf394222182c177c14ab451.png

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm not diminishing these variants in anyway but is this a joke? The Daily Mail article is over a year old and is relating to Terminal 3 being a dedicated Red List Terminal. The UK did away with all covid red lists back in Dec last year. Terminal 3 is in normal operation and has been for months.

The article was published on 1st June 2021 and then updated for an amendment on the 29th July 2022, all they did was remove a reference to India in the sub headline which is now no longer there but was in the original.

You can view the original archive here

https://web.archive.org/web/20210601063710/https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9639105/Heathrow-T3-opens-dedicated-red-list-terminal-TODAY.html

Here's a screenshot of the India reference which is no longer in the updated article:

image.png.ba5e47bcccf394222182c177c14ab451.png

Thank you for the clarification but the update is this month, this year. It serves as a reminder EXPENSIVE hotel quarantine still exists in the UK and that Thailand is not considered safe either. It was news to me and I bet it was news to other  people too.

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you for the clarification but the update is this month, this year. It serves as a reminder EXPENSIVE hotel quarantine still exists in the UK and that Thailand is not considered safe either. It was news to me and I bet it was news to other  people too.

image.png.17c0968d48a9b4a18a43843725b846f3.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/managed-quarantine-what-to-expect/managed-quarantine-what-to-expect

7 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I have since been told that Boots are here, my bad, maybe I just don't go to those shopping malls.

Good to hear that pharmacists can give advice rather than assistance.

I'll spread the word in my village.

Thanks.

I first  consulted a (local)  pharmacist 32 years ago here. You could even get vaccinated at them. This was before years before Boots were in Thailand  I think. As for Boots in the UK offering consultations with private consulting rooms, well that is quite new- less than 10 years. Outside  of the UK pharmacists  are more qualified and thus dispense and give advice and consultations So hopefully you learnt something  new about medical practise and about yourself.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Paracetemol reduces pain, fever and inflammation.

Paracetamol reduces pain and fever. 

It does not reduce inflammation. 

To reduce inflammation also,  you need NSAID like ibuprofen.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Last time I looked Thailand was not England and I can't recall seeing too many Boots here.

This is a Asean forum, not UK.

Too quick to let you foot off the clutch... Boots is all over Thailand (in many many malls), as are many other chain pharmacies such as Watsons. 

Many of these pharmacies can only sell certain (over the counter) medications when the pharmacist is present. When the pharmacist is not present there is usually a ‘blind’ over the ‘being the counter drugs’ and a shop assistant will tell you to come back later (Pharmacist is on a break etc). 

Can pharmacists diagnose serious conditions ?... no, of course, not, neither can a General Practitioner - all they would do is advise you see further medical assistance at a hospital etc where you would be guided and received dedicated attention and investigation (in your stomach ulcer scenario). 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

One is still too sick to leave the room.  I don't  think but not sure they got  antivirals. Which ones are recognised as being effective?

Sorry to hear that your friends are unwell - Out of curiosity, what are their ages and health status etc ?....  

Everyone I know who has had Covid-19 in the past 12 months have not suffered any symptoms more severe than a regular household cold.

It is therefor interesting that while earlier in this thread I quoted ’nothing worse than a cold’ it would appear that I am mistaken and some are still becoming quite unwell. 

I do wonder if those same people would become quite unwell if exposed to influenza - i.e. for whatever reason, do they have some underlying susceptibility to increased symptoms when catching a respiratory illness, or are they carrying any comorbidity (known or unknown) ?

-------------

Faviparivir is the ‘go-to’ antiviral medication used in Thailand to mitigate Covid. 

This is issued by doctors in hospitals treating Covid patients, it is apparently more effected as early on as possible when symptoms present. 

Faviparivir is also ‘sent out’ to patents who have called the covid hotline and stayed at home.

Wife, Son and Inlaws received it when they caught covid and called the hotline - symptoms were so minor they didn’t bother to use it. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Too quick to let you foot off the clutch... Boots is all over Thailand (in many many malls), as are many other chain pharmacies such as Watsons. 

Many of these pharmacies can only sell certain (over the counter) medications when the pharmacist is present. When the pharmacist is not present there is usually a ‘blind’ over the ‘being the counter drugs’ and a shop assistant will tell you to come back later (Pharmacist is on a break etc). 

Can pharmacists diagnose serious conditions ?... no, of course, not, neither can a General Practitioner - all they would do is advise you see further medical assistance at a hospital etc where you would be guided and received dedicated attention and investigation (in your stomach ulcer scenario). 

Guess I'm just not a mall person.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:22 PM, Lorry said:

These new vaccines are designed for BA.1,  the variant of January/ February. 

We are at BA.4 and BA.5 now. They are not designed for this. 

Nobody knows what variant will be the fall wave.

Yes but a BA.1 vaccine is certainly better than say, an AA.1 vaccine, etc. The more recently updated the vaccine the better I think, unless the original strains make a come-back, which I haven't heard has happened so far.

• Like 1

A post with misinformation comments has been removed.

The number of COVID patients in Thailand currently hospitalized in serious condition has increased 34.5% from 684 to 920 just during the past month.

456 of the 920 currently in serious condition are so bad off that they've required intubation in order to breathe.

New daily COVID deaths reached a month-high figure of 37 on Friday. The daily COVID death numbers were in the mid teens a month ago, so those have effectively doubled from one month ago.

Total COVID hospitalizations right now Thailand wide are in excess of 12,000.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=30-days

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/613370056947989

• Like 1